Shocking battery life; Panasonic GX85

squizza

Eeyore
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I bought myself the Panasonic LUMIX GX85 which I am loving... apart from the battery life! It’s shocking?! Does anyone find this on theirs? Whilst I appreciate that I can just buy and charge a second battery, the fact that a £400 camera doesn’t hold its charge for long really takes the mickey!

Thanks

What do you mean by shocking?
How many shots are you getting?
I suppose It depends on what you're used to or what you were expecting.
I dont get anything like as many shots with my G80 as I did with my D7000, but I expected that based on reviews etc.
Unfortunately battery life has nothing to do with the cost of the camera :)

The thing to realise is that with mirrorless it is less about how many shots you get and more about how long you have it switched on. So you have to get used to switching it off between shots and switching off power drain features.

They aren’t like DSLRs where you can just leave them on.

Until I turned off a lot of features I never use, a couple of my cameras seemed to eat batteries rather quickly. The worst offender was the WiFi connection (after the rear screen).

I've never used a GX80 but on the G80 I find battery life really good, if I'm only shooting in short bursts here and there it'll last days. I always have a fully charged spared on hand just in case, grab a couple third party spares like Ex-Pro from amazon.

I have a GX80 and also a GX9 which uses the same battery and I have no problems but as has been said you're not going to get DSLR let alone SLR life out of these cameras. I don't know what the shots per charge rating is for these but when out and about I can't remember ever needing to swap the battery but that's just me. I shoot single shots and I'm not a machine gunner or into video and I turn the camera off if I'm not going to be using it for a few minutes.

All I can suggest is that the op could look at turning off any battery hungry features which aren't needed and take a look at how the battery life can be extended in use, by maybe turning the camera off if it's not going to be used for a few minutes, reducing the time it's awake etc. and always heading out with a fully charged battery.

I have the g80 and on a shoot on Sunday with lots of reviewing done though the day , I took just under 900 shots in RAW and still had battery life left

As has been said, turn off features not required an battery life will increase.My G80 battery life is fine after doing this.
The advertised no of shots per charge for the gx80 is around 300 but will improve a lot if you turn off non essential features.

I had a GX80 and have a GX9, both about the same for battery life and without taking any power saving measures probably get about 250-350 photos per battery.

This is about the same as I get on my Fuji X-Pro2, again with no energy saving measures initiated.

After all they are only small batteries with much electronic wizardry to power,
Using wi-fi it eats up the juice at an alarming rate, Bluetooth not so much

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your replies, I guess I’ve been comparing my cameras battery life to my husbands camera, a Fuji XA-1. He’s not had to charge his all week but I take my one out in the day and it’s dead by afternoon after a full overnight charge. Have to admit though, still getting used to it and think it might be a too-many-settings on problem. Many thanks for your replies! I’ll let you know how I get on

Back