Shoot Film they said... spend less time in front of a computer they said...

Spot removal, my favourite way of spending a few quiet hours.:D

That's just the first name; in full it's Spot the Difference.:exit:

Spot removal, my favourite way of spending a few quiet hours.:D

And I've just discovered that, when I transfer my Aperture Library to Capture One, it can carry over nearly all the adjustments I've made in Aperture, it can't transfer the spot removal... so I might have to do them all again!!!! :(

I don't get nothing like the spot count on my prints that I do on scans, I mean nooothing like.
I suppose I might not enlarge the thing to the extremes of pixel peeping, or maybe diffusion light source lessens their visibility...or both.
Either way I just kinda accept dust is a fact of life and try to minimize contamination.
Not scanning at all cuts a mother load of dust issues out in one go....:ROFLMAO:

I don't get nothing like the spot count on my prints that I do on scans, I mean nooothing like.

Steve O'Nions said something similar on his YouTube video today. It's one of the reasons he's (considering?) moving back to darkroom printing. I'd give my right arm for a printing darkroom but it 'aint happening in this house.

Nova darkroom tent?

Edit to add:

I prefer the scan and inkjet route. Yes, you can have dust on the negative and on the scanner glass. But in my darkroom at least you can get dust on the negative and on both sides of the two sheets of glass in my negative carrier. That's more dust spots to my mind.

Last edited:
At the risk of stating the obvious here, I've found this to be a reasonable starting point before I get down to the fine work. Of course, that might struggle with whiskers and suchlike. :thinking:

20190901_211547_resized-tp.jpg

Last edited:
As my favourite antidust/antistatic device for use on film had to go to Sellafield for disposal when the plastic encapsulating the americium-241 (making alpha radiation) started to degrade a few years ago I have resorted to using the Zerostat that used to be reserved for my vinyl records. You can still get Zerostats but I made a DIY version to live by my record deck.

As Manuel used to say, @dmb, "Que?" o_O

Dust spots can drive you quite crazy when printing your own. But, there was a positive side. I became a much better housekeeper as a confirmed bachelor. All my pals said my place looked unusually good for a bachelor's pad. I often felt it was more an accusation than a compliment and had to explained why it was so.

Dust spots can drive you quite crazy when printing your own. But, there was a positive side. I became a much better housekeeper as a confirmed bachelor. All my pals said my place looked unusually good for a bachelor's pad. I often felt it was more an accusation than a compliment and had to explained why it was so.

I live alone (again!) and although I don’t live in squalor, I struggle to get housework up to a high standard for a number of reasons but a lack of time due to spending hours spot dusting scans sounds like the best excuse![emoji6]

And I've just discovered that, when I transfer my Aperture Library to Capture One, it can carry over nearly all the adjustments I've made in Aperture, it can't transfer the spot removal... so I might have to do them all again!!!! :(
Might be worth flattening and saving a completed version.

Back