Shooting a person with Epilepsy

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi has any one done shots with a person with epilepsy in a studio, if so what sort of lighting did you use as any form of flash is out of question.
Thank you

I would suggest a simple natural light shot - with the subject close to a window, a win win situation

Les (y)

Out of interest, I wonder if there would still be a risk to the epilepsy sufferer with their eyes closed? I know jack about the illness as you can tell (is it only brought on by flashing lights?), and I'm sure that even the a flash penetrating through the eyelids could be dangerous....

if its photosensitive epilepsy your going to need a constant light source what about natural light from a window and use a reflector

if its 1 or 2 shots id not be too worried, most people with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to 16-25 Hz. Some people may be sensitive to rates as low as 3 Hz and as high as 60 Hz. if it was just 1 flashing light they would be dropping like flies, its not just artificial light that can trigger them, going from light/shade/light etc can effect them.again most will get an aura that they are about to have a siezure and will be able to tell you, Girls (60 percent) are more often affected than boys (40 percent), although seizures are more frequent in boys because they are more likely to be playing video games. Video games often contain potentially provocative light stimulation.

closing your eyes can make it worse by the way, if people get an aura caused by lights then it is better to shade one of your eyes with your hand and slowly turn away from the light source

Thanks for all advice, and info about it, will get back to lady and get more info from her and sort it out from there

if it was me i would go natural light all the way i would not take the risk i have people with epilepsy in my family unless you/they know what rate will trigger a siezure in them its risky, also do you know how violent is the said persons fit will be?if it happens they could hurt them selfs or if it go's on to long it can cause them brain damage or poss death im not trying to scare you, im sure i posted a post like this not long ago

Ask them. Most of what the mass media "know" about epilepsy isn't true.

1. Most epilepsy isn't photo sensitive
2. Of the few that are most are only susceptible to a narrow frequency of flashing lights

Really, ask them if they have ever been affected by camera flash.

Oh and that old idea of putting keys in their mouth if they have a fit? Don't.

Seems a little harsh to shoot them as they have epilepsy but hey ho:LOL:

As has been said the best thing to do is ask them. My son is severly epileptic and I use speedlights without any issues however he has been tested and is not photosensitive.

Those with photosensitive epilepsy may well be ok with flashguns as long as it is used with care (the standard test for photosensitive epilepsy is to wire them up to an EEG machine and then use a strobe light starting at a low power/ frequency and then building the time and intensity of the light).

Best thing to do really is to talk to them and ask (y)

Last edited:
if its 1 or 2 shots id not be too worried, most people with photosensitive epilepsy are sensitive to 16-25 Hz. Some people may be sensitive to rates as low as 3 Hz and as high as 60 Hz. if it was just 1 flashing light they would be dropping like flies, its not just artificial light that can trigger them, going from light/shade/light etc can effect them.again most will get an aura that they are about to have a siezure and will be able to tell you, Girls (60 percent) are more often affected than boys (40 percent), although seizures are more frequent in boys because they are more likely to be playing video games. Video games often contain potentially provocative light stimulation.

closing your eyes can make it worse by the way, if people get an aura caused by lights then it is better to shade one of your eyes with your hand and slowly turn away from the light source

I just wanted to say that your post was one of the most interesting and informative posts I think I've ever read on this forum.

Not being a smartarse, I really mean it.

Could you not just use studio lights that are on all the time as opposed to them flashing.
or am I talking rubbish??

Hi everyone thanks for all comments, she is photo sensitive and even worse she is having to change her medication. So I will leave it a while and shot in natural light to be safe. But will go into it a bit more and maybe use tungson spots for studio, problems start with what filters to use as the heat will melt most.

Back