Beginner Shooting Distance

Name
Eshan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Is there a rule or guideline of how far away from the subject you have to be with different focal length lenses?

I am talking in relation to portrait photography, both head and shoulders plus half/full body shots.

Thanks

Hello All,

Is there a rule or guideline of how far away from the subject you have to be with different focal length lenses?

I am talking in relation to portrait photography, both head and shoulders plus half/full body shots.

Thanks

No hard fast rules - lenses are of course critical for portraits - I use an 85mm f1.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8 and adjust the distance to subject get the composition I want.

Move your feet is the way forward ( no pun intended) :) just remember to leave enough space around the subject

Les

60-100 for portraits usually

Hi Eshan

So I had a peek at your profile .... 28-75 kit lens, fine. My rule is: don't get close at 28, step back at 75.

Try both and see the difference. The major difference will be the more blurred background (BG) achieved with the longer focal length. It's good to see the subject standout from the BG. :)

Full face shots using 28mm can produce some "interesting" effects, that is, distortion to features, which may be what you are after? Generally 85 to 135 full frame equivalent is regarded as the most natural/flattering focal length to use, so assuming you have a crop sensor that equates to 50 or above, you will need to stand far away enough to frame the subject how you wish the photo to look.

Back