Shooting falling objects (feathers, confetti, ticker tape...)

Edit My Images
Yes
I want to setup a shot where lots of pieces of paper are dropped from above down onto the lens. The pieces paper will have words written on them. I have no studio so if there's no wind will do it outdoors. I want to be able to read some of the notes but have others out of focus with a nice bokeh in the far background but nothing too complicated.

As I won't have much time or opportunity to experiment, I wondered if anyone had any advice before I attempt this? My usual "go to Flickr and look at exif data of similar images" technique isn't working as I can't really find a similar image.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited:
The odds against getting anything like a usable shot doing that must be huge.

I'd say it would be best to photograph individual pieces of paper at various angles, distances. and state of focus (against a plain background) then get someone with photoshop skills to merge them in to a single picture.

What I was going to do is string up a piece of paper in the sweet spot to get the focus setup on manual. Have my camera on the floor and use the remote to take the photos as I chuck the paper up over the lens.

I think the technique is almost self explanatory. From your description you will need Shallow DOF so wide to mid aperture depending on distance you want to capture from lens. A fairly fast shutter speed to freeze the action of the falling paper. Remote shutter release. I would probably use a darkened room and light with an narrowed led penlight or such like.
For giving a definitive answer is that we dont know how many pieces of paper and more importantly their size and shape.
How high are you dropping them from ?
What focal length Lens ?
What are you using as a background to get the Bokeh effect (it will need to be contrasting) ?

LOL my post overlapped yours. Okay so you pretty much have a plan so I suggest you just "Suck it and see" Experimentation will be key here.

I figure the more pieces of paper the better. Same with the height of drop. Gives me longer to experiment. Wanted to use a tree canopy for the bokeh, but it's really windy today... :(

If you're shooting directly underneath, is it feasible to actually attach the pieces of paper to thin threads (black cotton of varying lengths) dangling down from either the tree, or maybe attached to another thread tied horizontally between 2 or more points?

If you're shooting directly underneath, is it feasible to actually attach the pieces of paper to thin threads (black cotton of varying lengths) dangling down from either the tree, or maybe attached to another thread tied horizontally between 2 or more points?
That's a good idea. Even if I only do it for some key pieces...

To capture the writing it would obviously be of use if the paper (or some of the pieces) could be make to fall with the flat side facing the camera. That can be helped to happen by altering the aerodynamics. E.g. take an A5 sheet and fold (upwards) about 1.5" of each corner so that they stand at 90° to the sheet. If you drop that sheet it will fall (with a gentle wobble) with the flat side parallel to the ground. Any wind will likely wreck the effect.

Last edited:
If it's from a tree, I'd set it all up using dental floss or something and take 1 picture, you have much more control this way and can change bits you don't like

Also, I've never done this but if I had to I'd probably do it this way

(3 hours of prep and one shot vs a possible infinite amount of tries)

Back