Shooting hight for portrait

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Just out of interest I wondered what height people shoot head and should portraits?

I've seen people set up with the camera set up level with the model's chin slightly tilting up or bang level with the eyes.

I have tended to shoot around level with the nose, is it horses for courses or have you found that a particular set up works better than others?

Depends upon the person you're shooting. Do you need to hide extra chins, shoot from slightly higher. Someone with a narrow jaw line, slight below. Unless you're Peter Hurley and just lock off the tripod and let the banter commence!

In general, center of mass and straight forward is where you want to place the camera... i.e. head and shoulders ~ neck high, 3/4 ~ chest high, etc. But this is just a general "starting point" and you may very well want to use a different height for a specific reason.

The reason for "center of mass/straight forward" is exactly the same as it is for photographing architecture... it prevents distortion due to angular perspective.

Last edited:
What Steven said, though I rarely give it much thought.

Like all compositional rules it's something I do by 'instinct', btw that's not to say I'm awesome or always 'get it right' just that I know what looks 'right' depending on what I'm aiming for.

Back