Shooting in fog

ped

Edit My Images
Yes
I don't know what sort of weather you are having but down here in Buckinghamshire it's very foggy which actually looks lovely in the morning. I'm going to Somerset at the weekend and will take my cameras with me - does anyone have any tips for shooting in fog? I guess I'm worried about my pics looking blown out with the fog looking like over exposed sky losing the depth and detail hidden within? I'm guessing slow shutter and high DOF?

ped

EDIT -perhaps this would be best in the general photography area as opposed to film cameras, as I'm taking the Digital rangefinder too and it's not really gear specific

Last edited:
Isn't IR film or B&W that extends into the IR spectrum supposed to be good in fog?

could be utter tosh because I read it somewhere on the interwebz.

Only tip I'd give is that shooting in fog/mist/cloud is the only time I actually use UV/Skylight filters - not for any particular effect, it's just if i'm wiping the condensation off the lens a couple of a hundred times in a day, i'd sooner be eroding the front of a £20 filter than a £800 lens :shrug: Personally, I'd only be taking something either completely non-electronic like my FED3 or something weatherproofed like my EOS-3 and the appropriate L glass. Cold metal kit like cameras can get as wet from condensation in foggy conditions as they would in the rain, so take sensible precautions - and maybe a small "camping towel" to wipe down the bodies of the cameras, as well as normal lens cloths.

Don;t use flash... other than that I cannot see what you are expecting to be a problem - I mean if you take a pic of a foggy scene you are going to get a pic of a foggy scene, no? From the point of metering I guess spot is out, but your exposure should be very even!

I'd use a yellow filter, should give more separation of any mid tones and might penetrate the fog just a little.
Saying that I've never tried it :)

Don;t use flash... other than that I cannot see what you are expecting to be a problem - I mean if you take a pic of a foggy scene you are going to get a pic of a foggy scene, no? From the point of metering I guess spot is out, but your exposure should be very even!

Fog can fool the meter on the camera as it whitish..erm but if it's Kodak grey fog there is no problem ;)

... hence the very even exposure... :naughty:

Nice one cheers chaps, I'll be taking my Leica M4-P which hasn't got anything electrical on it so though I'll be paying close attention to any moist-ness(!) I'll use and abuse it like she was made for.

I'll show you the results when I develop them, if I don't totally fry them in my patterson tank

Cheers
ped

Back