Shooting Jewellery

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi I have started to make Jewellery, now I'm less mobile can anyone suggest the best lighting set-up and lens to use.
Thanks Seawolf

Some sort of diffuser and a 105 macro lens - you can get away with ambient room lighting with this but a couple of lights either side of the 'tent' will give very workable results.

Wex Light tent

It depends n the quality of the results you're after. A light tent will 'get you an image' but it's a bit boring. I'd set up a table near a window, use large sheets of card as backgrounds and reflectors, cheap and easy, then concentrate on the important things, set dressings, ceramic tiles, etc.
the Tamron 90mm Macro can be had really cheap and is an excellent performer.

I've not photographed much jewellery myself, but I do know that the appropriate lighting setup will depend in part, at least, on the type of jewellery you are photographing.
For example plain reflective rings will need reflective surfaces (you will need to light the reflections in the metal rather than the metal itself), whereas fine-cut gemstones will show more sparkle (sorry, probably not the correct technical term!) when lit using carefully placed small, hard light sources.

I only know one jewellery maker who is also a photographer, but in my opinion (whatever that's worth) he's very good at both.
You will find a collection of some of Alfred's jewellery photos on Flickr, here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/jbalfred/sets/72157613121202539
He usually (perhaps always) uses flash (he's in the US and uses Alien Bees, which are not available here - but that is of no importance), and you will find good lighting setup info on many of his photos.
He's also very helpful and friendly (and has a fine sense of sarcastic humour). If you contact him tell him I recommended him to you. :)

Last edited:
Back