Shooting modes's

Name
Shaun
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys,

Im just curious to know what the most popular shooting mode is.
I shoot mainly in P, but im not sure if that’s a cop out as its pretty much like automatic…

When shooting motor sports I use TV but for wildlife, portraits, candid's etc I use AV. It's just how I have been taught I suppose :shrug:

predominantly AV, however i've just started to shoot indoor swimming and found that M gives more control....

I use M pretty much all the time. Will use AV and TV if I havent got the time to tweek settings as much

Prefer Manual, but keep my camera on Av in case a quick shot presents itself. If I shoot something in Av and the shot is still available I'll shoot again in Manual.

I use Aperture Priority pretty much all the time but switch to Shutter Priority when required. I used to use manual when I was learning to force me to really think about it but I don't use it so much now. I don't even know what the P mode is for. I know it's more of an auto mode than what I use so I'm not too interested.

A bit mixed really. I used P until I'd read Understanding Exposure. Then moved on to M. Now I mix and match as required. M quite a lot, Av if the conditions are changing a lot, and Tv if I'm after a specific effect with the shutter speed.

P is a less automatic version of Green Square. So on the Canon, the flash doesn't pop up when it feels like it, you can shoot raw, you can adjust the ISO. You can adjust the shot settings for each shot, but the shutter speed and aperture are adjusted as a pair.

P mode will give you an "average" aperture combined with an "average" shutter speed and possibly an "average" ISO and you'll end up with an "average" picture. Not bad, but lacking creativity input and control of any kind.

Tv mode will allow you to take control of the exposure duration and with that you can influence the impression of motion, either freezing it completely or exaggerating it if you prefer, or something in between. The point is, you make the choice, not the camera. However, you get no control over the Depth of Field.

Av mode will allow you to take control of the Depth Of Field and you get to choose how much of the subject/scene is in or out of focus. You get no control over the sense of motion.

Manual mode allows you to take control of motion and depth of field and you need to adjust the shutter speed, aperture and ISO to give the "correct" exposure. Of course, "correct" exposure can also be somewhat creative/artistic too. Some cameras allow you to use auto ISO while you manually select the shutter speed and aperture. This gives you control over the more important creative controls, while still letting the camera do some of the work for you.

Personally I shoot in manual mode most of the time, and Av and Tv only rarely. I have not shot in P mode for around 3 years. To be honest I find that shooting manual exposure gives me much more reliable/dependable results, most of the time. Occasionally one of the autoexposure modes might be better, but I find those occasions to be few and far between.

P mode will give you an "average" aperture combined with an "average" shutter speed and possibly an "average" ISO and you'll end up with an "average" picture. Not bad, but lacking creativity input and control of any kind.

Tv mode will allow you to take control of the exposure duration and with that you can influence the impression of motion, either freezing it completely or exaggerating it if you prefer, or something in between. The point is, you make the choice, not the camera. However, you get no control over the Depth of Field.

Av mode will allow you to take control of the Depth Of Field and you get to choose how much of the subject/scene is in or out of focus. You get no control over the sense of motion.

Manual mode allows you to take control of motion and depth of field and you need to adjust the shutter speed, aperture and ISO to give the "correct" exposure. Of course, "correct" exposure can also be somewhat creative/artistic too. Some cameras allow you to use auto ISO while you manually select the shutter speed and aperture. This gives you control over the more important creative controls, while still letting the camera do some of the work for you.

Personally I shoot in manual mode most of the time, and Av and Tv only rarely. I have not shot in P mode for around 3 years. To be honest I find that shooting manual exposure gives me much more reliable/dependable results, most of the time. Occasionally one of the autoexposure modes might be better, but I find those occasions to be few and far between.

Me too... agree 100%...(y)

And me. TBH it very much depends what I'm shooting. Sometimes if I'm just playing around with the dogs I might use Tv, other times where I just want DOF control I'll use Av and if I'm using manual off camera flash then it's definately M. If I have good shooting time I prefer to use M for the extra control. The better the exposure, the better the end result and it allows for some fine control. :)

Anything that teaches exposure :) (Photographic that is not getting very chilly or rude!)

If you understand the mechanics of what you are playing about with and why then the choice of what to use when it suits you will be a lot easier :)

i think i need to do some reading up :(
any body got any good recomendations??

Here's one helpful guide to get you started - http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

It can be a very big topic, though, and it really depends how deep into it you want to go. One very important point to understand is that your camera's metering system is pretty dumb. It has no idea whether you are pointing the camera at a polar bear in a snow storm or a black cat in a coal cellar. What it will try to do, unless you tell it otherwise, is to guess that the scene (or the bit of the scene you are metering from ) should average out to a "middle tone", often called middle grey. Tricky lighting conditions can easily upset things, like a backlit subject in its own shade.

It is also worth noting that the camera's meter is relying on light reflected back from your subject/scene. In contrast, a hand held light meter can be used to measure the incident light that is illuminating the scene. The problem for the camera is that it doesn't know how bright the light is that is on your subject/scene. It only sees the reflected light. Dark things do not reflect much light so the camera is misled into thinking there is simply not very much lilght, which may not be the case at all. Conversely, a bright white car, or wedding dress, will fool the camera into thinking there is too much light, which also may not be true.

Different metering modes will give different results depending upon where in the scene you point the camera. Matrix/Evaluative metering will look at the whole scene, the distribution of light, and where the focus point is, and try to guess at what sort of scene you have and set an exposure accordingly. Centre weighted average will not really apply any intelligence to how the scene is made up (e.g. sky at the top) and will look at everything but give more weight to whatever is towards the centre of the picture. If there was a black horse as your subject the camera would probably try to brighten it up to make it nearer "middle grey" and thus overexpose the scene. If you had a white horse as your subject the camera would do the reverse. With experience you can make better judgements about the tonal content (brightness) of areas of the subject/scene and how the camera might interpret them. Then, using exposure compensation, you can bias the camera towards keeping things darker or making them brighter.

Partial metering and spot metering are more precise metering modes, allowing you to point the camera at specific areas of the scene and to decide how light or dark you want those parts of the scene to be. They give you more control, but also make you more responsible for the results. It's a bit like high risk and high reward. If you get it wrong it can go very wrong, but if you get it right it can be superb.

The beauty of manual mode, if the the lighting is pretty constant, is that once you have a correct exposure set you can freely adjust your composition and the metering/exposure will not keep changing each time you move the camera or zoom the lens. Once the exposure is set for the scene as a whole, and the light falling upon it, it does not matter whether you first photograph a black horse and then a white horse, or both together. The exposure will remain steady, and each will be exposed correctly. There would be no problem with grey horses, brown horses or any combination of colours and patches. Small horses will be as well exposed as big ones, as will people, dogs, flowers and pretty much anything else.

The autoexposure modes are great if the lighting keeps changing and you don't have the time or inclination to keep adjusting in order to keep up. However, if your subject and scene keeps changing, as you move about, you will need to be ready to adjust your exposure compensation to deal with the changing reflectivity of your subject/scene. In my experience, I tend to find that the tonal content of my subject/scene varies more often and more quickly than the lighting. Therefore I find manual exposure to give me more consistent and predictable results, most of the time.

Because the camera is seeking to average out the scene, or the metered area of the scene, to "middle grey", there is another useful technique you can use by metering from a standard "grey card". This is a special photographic card, calibrated to match the reflectivity that the camera expects. By metering from a grey card, with exposure compensation set to zero, or setting a manual exposure with the meter also at zero, you can get a pretty accurate exposure to suit the incident light hiting the scene. Your own palm makes a great substitute for a grey card, and can be easily used to set a pretty accurate exposure for the incident lighting. However, your palm is more refelctive (lighter/brighter) than a grey card, so instead of setting the meter at 0 you need to go a bit higher. If your palm is in the same light as your subject/scene then simply spot/partial meter from your palm and (if you have white skin) set an exposure about +1 1/3 stops on the meter. If you have dark skin then you may want a bit less. This approach removes the variability of changing refelctivity of a subjec/scene and replaces it with a known constant - your palm - and since palms don't tan they remain a steady reference all year round. If you meter for your palm then, usually, your scene will be well exposed too. Every rule has exceptions, so this doesn't apply in every situation, but it is a good starting point.

Another excellent rule/guideline is the "Sunny 16 Rule". When shooting in bright subshine the rule (guideline) suggests that at an aperture of f/16 you shutter speed should be the reciprocal of your ISO. e.g. at 100 ISO your shutter speed would be 1/100. At 200 ISO it should be 1/200 and so on. If you change your aperture to, say, f/5.6, which is 3 stops brighter than f/16, you would need to compensate with a -3 stop adjustment to shutter speed, ISO or a little of each.

Like I said, it is a big topic, and not easily condensed into a single post in a forum thread, but I hope that helps a bit. If you need to know more then feel free to ask more specific questions.

Yet another brilliant post from tdodd.

Personally I keep it in A most of the time when out and about and only change to S (or Tv) to get a specific effect. When I've actually got some time to plan a shot though I'll use M and chimp away at the histo and highlights area to make sure my exposures are correct.

Hi guys,

The only thing I would add to this is I don't see any mention of program shifting, the whole point of P mode. In effect, P mode is a combination of aperture and shutter priority modes, allowing you to shift between combinations of aperture and shutter speed which all add up to give the same exposure. So the shutter and aperture are constantly adjustable, unlike Auto mode.

The main difference between P and aperture/shutter priority is that the camera remembers what aperture or shutter was last set in those modes, and will keep that aperture/shutter until told otherwise. P mode will change this depending on the metering conditions. So P mode is much more customisable than Auto, giving full control of both aperture AND shutter without having to change mode to switch between them.

I find it just as useful as all the other "priority" modes. Of course M is king.

Mentioned above in passing

"Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a good read.

The only thing I would add to this is I don't see any mention of program shifting, the whole point of P mode. In effect, P mode is a combination of aperture and shutter priority modes, allowing you to shift between combinations of aperture and shutter speed which all add up to give the same exposure. So the shutter and aperture are constantly adjustable, unlike Auto mode.
A valid point. However, I think the implementation might be very different between manufacturers, and I suspect Nikon's implementation might be more useful than Canon's. If I have ths correct, and it is quite possible that I don't, with Nikon you can dial in a permanent shift that will always bias your programmed exposure towards higher shutter speeds or greater DOF, as you wish, and that remains in place from shot to shot, until you change it.

With Canon you have to keep dialling in the program shift each and every time you start metering again - basically for every single shot - so it is really only a temporary override and thus perhaps not quite as useful. I have no idea how Sony, Pentax and others implement program shift in their cameras. Since I only shoot Canon I did not feel it was even worth mentioning, although I am aware of the feature. After all, if you are going to keep overriding the camera you might as well use Tv or Av mode in the first place, if you have a particular preference for faster or slower shutter speeds and/or shallower or greater DOF.

Ok guys,

I shoot mainly in P, but im not sure if that’s a cop out as its pretty much like automatic…

I don’t see P as a cop out at all if you use it you can adjust your setting up or down if the shutter is too slow you wind it up or if the F stop is not what you want you wind it up or down
I tend to use Av most but it will depend on what I am taking at the time

tdodd, yes that's right. Theres's a little P* marker on the LCD which indicates you've shifted program, say 1 or 2 programs either way - it doesn't indicate in which direction. Of course it doesn't fix the aperture or shutter but it fixes the program shift.

It can be a bit of a nebulous concept, because you're not dealing with absolute values: they obviously change depending on the metering. But it does give a degree of control whilst still relying on metering to come up with absolute figures for aperture and shutter speed.

I think of it as aperture bias or shutter bias, rather than priority.

My Hasselblad has none.....at all....no metering...never mind shifting! That's fun! :)

It's amazing the amount of technology that we increasingly rely on in modern dslr's. With old film cameras you have to learn the underlying principles or waste a lot of film!

There are good points and bad points to this though. The good point was that you blooming well learned it because of the cost associated with constantly screwing it up. The bad point was.........the cost associated with screwing it up! lol

That does seem like a nice feature - the ease of "P" mode but with a degree of creative influence still placed in the photographer's hands. Canon's implementation, while better than nothing, does seem a bit lame by comparison.

I use M, unless the damn wheel has spun while I took my camera out of the bag, then its a bit like family fortunes until I realise what's happened ;)

I use a mixture of M, Tv and Av, depending on the situation and what I am photographing. Don't think I have ever taken a photograph using P or the dreaded green box.

I only have manual.

And what does modes's mean. Just modes would do. Similar to a butcher's shop in my town selling trays's of meat!

Steve.

That book is widely recommended, but personally I don't like it much at all. It is not written in a way that suits the typical operation of modern digital cameras, and especially those with cropped sensors. It also makes no use of the histogram and, as such, ignores a valuable tool to help anyone (from newbie to seasoned pro) understand what their camera is doing. There is some good stuff in it, but I find it very long winded and rambling, and sometimes really a bit confusing. I know what he should be saying, but the way he chooses his words is sometimes very obtuse.

Still, that's only my opinion, and everyone will have their own, :)

EDIT : Another link to stuff about histograms - http://ronbigelow.com/articles/histograms-1/histograms-1.htm and here - http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/how-to-read-a-histogram.html

and one to Digital Exposure - http://ronbigelow.com/articles/exposure/exposure.htm

Ok guys,

P is good...for me...as it keeps my iso number fixed..64asa

i alternate it with A for really known aperture requirements

S i dont really use...and

only M for fixed exposures of multi shots where i know the lighting on the subject wont change...a series of antiques i shot..on my kitchen table..for a dealer to value...// or where i want a long exposure which P doesnt offer

i started out with auto no knowing this was different auto from my 35mm slrs
the results were abominable with iso ratings running amok giving noise for the low light situations...another forumite suggested P and i have stuck with this ever since

I shoot S trackside and A round for people shots round the paddock. For landscape stuff, M.

Rarely shoot P but had a conversation with a highly experienced pro wedding/portrait tog who told me that she always shoots P because she totally trusts her camera to get it right.

Rarely shoot P but had a conversation with a highly experienced pro wedding/portrait tog who told me that she always shoots P because she totally trusts her camera to get it right.

And she is, presumably, very experienced of how her camera meters a particular scene. In which case P can be a powerful mode, combined with exposure compensation. I presume matrix-type metering is the best way to go in P, spot would require a lot of metering-recomposing, where matrix would give a more compose-and-shoot technique.

I use M mode all the time.(y)

Back