Shooting Non League Football

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

question for the football toggers on here. Looking to shoot the local non league team (Bamber Bridge FC) who play in the Northern Premier League First Division, not for business purposes but merely for fun.

My question is, will I need any permission or pass to shoot the game or is it OK at this level?

I have contacted the club via email but have received no reply, any help would be great

Iain

i wouldn't imagine you would need anything in writing for none league football.if anyone questions you about it offer them a few shots to use on their website or the like and they should be happy enough.
i recently took a few shots of the local team a cousin of mine plays for their website and i never heard mention of passes or that.

Yeah bloody hell go for it mate.

As far as law, its a free country as far as non-league football goes. Its more a case of being polite and speaking to the relevant parties. I go along to a team that my Dad is the assistant manager of in the east cornwall guardian league. And they are well happy with the attention, i've made em all feel like celebrities, they're getting team shots and mugshots for their website, the players get nice pictures for their Facebook profile, and i build a nice portfolio of football images. I've now been asked to go to a game in the league above, and the 1st team of the team i shot for (i shoot the reserves) play in the south-west peninsula league, and its only a matter of time before i do their team.

Thats all in what, 10 weeks of starting togging?

Imagine what you can do.

I just looked at their website, and they have a stated photographer, yet there seems to be very little photos anywhere from what i can see.:shrug:

Maybe do some photos and show them what they are missing out on(y)

You will need public liability cover to go pitchside... Other than that there is no licence system at that level.. I woudlnt bother at a night game.. its a real struggle:) I ahve been there day and night games...

Ask the club first.. One way or another :)

As far as law, its a free country as

Its against all ground rules to take photogrpahs so you need to ask first.. Nobody would bother you anyway but as stated.. ask ... its not a free country when it comes to shooting football at grounds you have to pay to get into..

I would go and ask the club in person. Not by email or phone call - too easy for them to dismiss and too impersonal. Having a face to face chat will be much more effective. Gird your loins and go forth - nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gutted about it being poor lighting, I can only get to Tues night games as I work weekends. The people there seem friendly enough, we knocked on the door to the club last time and asked if we could go into the empty ground to take some shots and they were great

Agree with Kipax on this one as having been there for a night game a few years back in the trophy. Stick to daylight unless you have some kit that can get results at high ISO settings. Also I can remember the club asking me for some images whilst there and they were a very friendly club.

You'll need to go down there and have a chat with them. Good luck - you have to start somewhere, and I'm sure they will appreciate your help.

To be honest, not really looking to get into sports photography, I just always fancied giving it a go, plus I have a love for football. I imagine my 5D would be able to handle the low light although maybe not the fast focussing required. I'll be using the 70-200mm 2.8 IS which I appreciate won't give mea great reach but I'd be sat behind the goal line looking for goalmouth action more than anything

To be honest, not really looking to get into sports photography, I just always fancied giving it a go, plus I have a love for football.

hahaha how do you think the rest of us started.. we probably all said exactly the same as above.. well I did :)

I imagine my 5D would be able to handle the low light although

I think I struggled with a canon 1dmkIII and f2.8 lens.. was down to a 250 shutter which is silly slow.. if your close enough then just go and try. best way to find out :)

Thinking about doing this myself, be interested to see how you get on. I'm a Leeds fan but just moved to York so don't imagine they'll have as much interest in their games, worth a try!

Thinking about doing this myself, be interested to see how you get on. I'm a Leeds fan but just moved to York so don't imagine they'll have as much interest in their games, worth a try!

You would need a licence to shoot york games mate..Try todcaster just outside york.. very non league :)

Cheers Kipax, or I might look into shooting York City Knights RL. What do you mean by licence, I realise you have to have some sort of permit but not heard of a licence for shooting sports?

Cheers Kipax, or I might look into shooting York City Knights RL. What do you mean by licence, I realise you have to have some sort of permit but not heard of a licence for shooting sports?

york city are non league football but in the conference league and you would need a conference league photographers licence to photogrpah them... and 2m public liability cover and the clubs permission ... its all cobblers but rules are rules..

Obviously that would be a dream job but from what I've heard from yourself another it's increasingly hard to make a living from it.

But doable if you put the extra time and extra effort in for very low pay :)

So...

phoned the club and they seemed quite enthusiastic about me taking some shots, only question is whether my gear will live up to the job. Using a Canon 5D Mkii which can cope well in low light and a Canon 70-200 2.8IS lens?

Will I be able to get fairly decent results with this?
Is there any comparable lighting situations to test it like Teco car park a night or something?

you will certainly get results.. I dont think you will be printing A4 but you will certainly get somehting with that... You must go manual.. set f2.8 and the highest iso you are happy wiht and see whats left for the shutter :)

As I've not shot sports before it's going to be a steep learning curve. If I'm setting my aperture and ISO why not shoot in Av as with manual I will mostly be relying on my cameras light meter to tell me the correct exposure anyway?

Not doubting your experience and I know there will be a reason, just wondering what it is - would love to learn sports shooting in and out :)

As I've not shot sports before it's going to be a steep learning curve. If I'm setting my aperture and ISO why not shoot in Av as with manual I will mostly be relying on my cameras light meter to tell me the correct exposure anyway?

Not doubting your experience and I know there will be a reason, just wondering what it is - would love to learn sports shooting in and out :)

AV under flood lights bad idea ;)

Stick to manual :)

At a night game under floodlight the lighting will be stable all the way through the game.. so you only need to set your setting once and you will get the same exposure through the game..

If you use AV or any other mode and players say jump for a header... you point your camera upwards and hey presto.. theres a bright floodlight in the picture... Av is going to expose wrongly.. but manual you get a loverly shot with an over exposed floodlight :) Thats just an example

At a night game lots of other things will fool av.. esp if one team in white and one in dark colours... black players white players... floodlights.. clubhouse lights and many other things..

Shooting at man utd or liverpool you may get away with av as a change in shutter speed isnt going to have such a big efect... However at the ground your going.. you will be at around 320 shutter.. if av drops you to 160 your going to have a lot of trash shots...

Floodlit football is easy.. set the iso and aperture to the extremes... then take a couple of example shots.. start at shutter 250 and work up if you can to what gives you a decent exposure... at a premiership ground you can set aperture then shutter and set iso to suit.. but you will be maxing out everything at the brig :)

When you going? its only 15 mins from here ...

thats the 16th.. I am at an fa cup replay that night..

well I ahve my peli case and sit on that.. yes take a stool.. difference between stood and low down is massive :)

I'm going to the game next Tues against Fylde,

BTW .. done afc fylde a few times.. they also have teams in flloodlit u18s league... anyways they always ask if they can have pics for the website.. i always sort them out... no money knocking about at that level though..

You will need RFL accreditation and 2 million PLI to shoot at York City Knights and you also need to book in with the club, i will be working for them on an "official" basis several times next season.

Back