Shooting snakes Tips

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Do you have any advice for shooting snakes?

I am doing some shots for a friend and Im thinking of what I might need.

Setup Im thinking of is;

Ring flash mounted to lens.
Flash tripod mounted to side between snake and background point 45 degrees at snake for rim light. Suspect will diffuse with muslin or similar.
Snake will be in a black box with removeable lid.

Would this be enough lighting or too much?

Any suggestions as I want to do his snakes justice.

Hi all,

Do you have any advice for shooting snakes?

Use a shot gun - they move far to fast for a rifle

If you want to take photos of them I'd say studio flash heads if you have them,

Unfortunately don't have any studio flash heads... did wonder if the sudden flashing may cause an attack.

I am getting my friend to ensure they are fully fed so should be calm and docile.

I'd want a big, thick lump of glass between me and Mr Snake and reflections be damned.

Reactions: BBR
Snakes are like other pets, each one is individual and they have different temperaments. Although some species are more likely to strike than others. I've taken plenty of pics of my royal python with no problems. Best to ask the owner how the snake behaves.
To get the snake to stay still you may want to cover it with a box or cloth, they normally feel secure in small dark spaces, then get your friend to take the hide off when you are ready to take a few shots.
If it is small and non venomous being bitten really doesn't hurt too much. I'd rather be bitten by a small constrictor than a hamster, cat or dog.

There is a corn snake, an all black one and an all white one I believe, owner says flashes should be fine and they are very docile. Looking forward to it as need more practice with flash.

Some poison anti venom!!!!;)
@BMD , There's no such thing as a "Poisionous" snake, poison refers to something you inhale / ingest, they are all venomous, hence anti venom ;)

@Tintin124
If It's a corn snake, prepare for it to be active, they are generally docile and tame, but fast moving, they are long (probably about 4 to 5ft if adult) but lean, so can be hard to photograph

With a corn, or any type of colubrid, prepare for poo/wee, they have a much faster metabolism than boids, so wee/poo more often.
Don't shoot within 24 hours of feeding, or you may have a regurged mouse on your hands

as @jason7579 says it will not hurt at all even if an adult corn bites you, I have large boas bite me often, its more annoying than anything.

@BMD , There's no such thing as a "Poisionous" snake, poison refers to something you inhale / ingest, they are all venomous, hence anti venom ;)

@Tintin124
If It's a corn snake, prepare for it to be active, they are generally docile and tame, but fast moving, they are long (probably about 4 to 5ft if adult) but lean, so can be hard to photograph

With a corn, or any type of colubrid, prepare for poo/wee, they have a much faster metabolism than boids, so wee/poo more often.
Don't shoot within 24 hours of feeding, or you may have a regurged mouse on your hands

as @jason7579 says it will not hurt at all even if an adult corn bites you, I have large boas bite me often, its more annoying than anything.
Everybody likes a smarts..e :)

Back