Shooting Stars & Space Stations?

fraggle101

Not a mermaid
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I had a trip up to the Lake District and caught these images, one has a shooting star, and im pretty sure the other had either a satellite or the space station..

DSC_8917.jpg

DSC_8179.jpg

great pics

will prob be the space station, always gets in the way

most people dont like light pollution, i always try and get a bit to add some colour to the pic
2nd one works great

would be nie to see longer trails on the 1st though

Both very nice, but prefer the second shot. I must get out and try this type of shot again.

With the first shot i would have tried a longer exposure to get the trails looking better, but i wasnt too inspired as i didnt have my 14-24 with me, i wanted to get the pole star in for better effect but couldnt as id not really enough of the hills in the frame as it was..

Thanks for the comments guys..

(y)

2nd image works for me buddy;)

Regards Dave

#2 is a superb image, I'm after trying to have a go at doing some of this myself I would be more than happy with these images.

Number 2 is superb. What exposure length is that? Also is that noise pollution used to good affect or a sun set?

The second shot is fantastic. Can you please give me some idea as to how you did that? I'd love to have a go.

Thanks for the comments guys..

OK, some info on the shot, it was taken at iso 1600 or 3200 iirc, i will check later on, the exposure would be about 20-30 secs, any longer than that and you end up with trails instead of stars, the lens was Nikon 24-70 at quite aa wide aperture, maybe F4 or there abouts.. the camera was on a tripod and i used a remote release and mirror lock up to minimise any camera shake..

The ilght you see is indeed light polution, the sun set in the opposite direction..

I hope this helps, if you want any more info the please feel free to ask..

Thanks for the info, may well have a go myself if the summer is not all over now.

It can be tricky to get the shot you're after, but keep trying, experiment with the ISO and aperture, for star shots you need to wait until its very dark, maybe shoot away from the direction the sun as you can get too much light pollution from it even after it seems to be long gone!! i like to shoot towards some distant towns to get a little distant glow.. also, iv found a full Moon can effect the amount of stars visible, so try todo it on a moonless or a night without too bright a moon..

Love No.2 - reminds me that I need to get a tripod and have a go !!!

Back