Shooting stick

What about a monopod? That would be much easier to attach to your camera body? Or am I missing the point?

Do you mean a shooting stick as in portable seat like as taken to race meetings?

What about a monopod? That would be much easier to attach to your camera body? Or am I missing the point?
I didn't think of that but it seems a lot more expensive but could be the idea. I was thinking about trying to use it as a support to take stacks with a combination of some of the support of a tripod and some of the flexibility of free standing.

Get a monopod, they take a bit of getting used to but they certainly steady your shot. You could also just use a thin cane and rap your thumb and index finger around it whilst holding your camera. Cheap alternative that works.

I didn't think of that but it seems a lot more expensive but could be the idea. I was thinking about trying to use it as a support to take stacks with a combination of some of the support of a tripod and some of the flexibility of free standing.

What you're looking for sounds like a monopod to me :) they come in various sizes and prices too. But they are designed to screw into the body of the camera, but check the screw thread size before buying.

Gitzo are nice but very pricey unless you are lucky!

The Sirui P series mono pods are very good value and quality - I have the P424 (overkill for your needs). The P224 would probably fit your needs nicely, if you don't mind a little extra weight then the P204 (Aluminium) is cheaper.

Sorry can't really recommend. I like mine but it's quite long and carbon fiber so probably more than you need and relatively expensive. Try searching for small, light monopod? I saw some from $30 so there probably is something suitable available.

Mine was a really cheap one from Jessops. It does the job. It's a Jessops Monopod 330. It was about £16, 5 yrs ago maybe longer.

Sorry can't really recommend. I like mine but it's quite long and carbon fiber so probably more than you need and relatively expensive. Try searching for small, light monopod? I saw some from $30 so there probably is something suitable available.

Were you referring to the P224/P204? I thought they were pretty cheap (my P424 certainly was) and they are the cheapest mono pods that I could, honestly, recommend. If the OP just wants a cheap piece of junk then I have a Manfrotto 679 that I will let go for peanuts - though I suspect that they would be just as disappointed as I was.

If I have misinterpreted your post then please ignore.

I got one of THESE from Ebay, you have to wait fro delivery, but pretty good quality, very light and stable.
I love mine.

I meant something people use to rest a gun on - I don't shoot btw so I am not 100% what they are like.
FYI a shooting stick is something you sit on, not rest a gun on. They are about 3 feet long with a small folding seat on the top and a spike on the bottom.

Quite comfortable but I am not sure it would really work for photography. I bought a manfrotto monopod a few years ago and really like it, can't remember how much it was but I know it wasn't expensive
ShootingStick.jpg

I've got a walking staff with a red deer antler on top in y shape and sit lens in it! It's long enough to sit at chin height too! Lovely

Were you referring to the P224/P204? I thought they were pretty cheap (my P424 certainly was) and they are the cheapest mono pods that I could, honestly, recommend. If the OP just wants a cheap piece of junk then I have a Manfrotto 679 that I will let go for peanuts - though I suspect that they would be just as disappointed as I was.

If I have misinterpreted your post then please ignore.

I don't recall the model number it's carbon fiber and was about $200 a few years ago

FYI a shooting stick is something you sit on, not rest a gun on. They are about 3 feet long with a small folding seat on the top and a spike on the bottom.

Quite comfortable but I am not sure it would really work for photography. I bought a manfrotto monopod a few years ago and really like it, can't remember how much it was but I know it wasn't expensive
ShootingStick.jpg
thats just being pedantic, shooting sticks (with the s on the end, or if you really want to be a pedant a set of shooting sticks) are as the op linked to.
to the op i used them for deer stalking and with binos/camera for years, not as good as a proper monopod but they do work well, much steadier than free hand and great freedom for tracking as well

I don't recall the model number it's carbon fiber and was about $200 a few years ago

This is the beastie I was thinking of:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/sirui-p-...=b5c94bbd178238fb74ea3816d699cf45&fo_s=gplauk

They have gone up a bit since I bought my P424 but still not silly money..

Yes I agree $200 (£160) is quite a bit for a mono pod and certainly more than I am willing to pay! My two carbon mono pods are a Gitzo GM2541 and Sirui P424 (for the big stuff) they were £90 and £74 respectively. Quite expensive enough IMO and I have spent a fortune on photography gear!

Back