Shooting 'Tethered' with Photo Mechanic

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys I wonder if anyone knows and could possibly help?

Taking pictures and looking back on the screen I lock the photos I like so when I take the card out, place it in my laptop and let Photo Mechanic download my selected (locked) images.

Is there a way to speed workflow up a little so I can plug in a USB or tethered cable so my locked files still download into my laptop please? Or will shooting with a cable attached all my photos download, which I wouldn't want

Many Thanks

Photo Mechanic doesn't control tethering; ie. the transfer of images from the camera to a folder on your computer. You will need to use other software for that task (freebie with camera, Lightroom, Capture One etc. etc.)

You could use PM's Live Ingest feature to monitor the folder which is receiving the images downloaded via tethering, and subsequently 'process' them as they appear (eg. automatically copy to other locations, add metadata, rename etc.).
(More information about PM's Live Ingest can be found at PM's online manual.)

Hopefully someone will know if there's some software that will enable you to download just your 'locked' images via tether, but PM isn't suitable for this task.

It just occurred to me that while tethering software may not selectively download just 'locked' photos (as the software can't ascertain a file's 'lock' status until it's actually been downloaded); you may be able to achieve this if you transfer wirelessly as the camera would then be involved in the process.

Or I could be completely wrong in that assumption (I've never downloaded images wirelessly).

Thanks for your reply @TonyHall I'll have to have a read up on the live ingest folder. Seems the best option for me here. Thanks for your time

because tethered shooting software is mainly set up to shoot without also recording to card, certainly neither of the two big players in the tethering software, lightroom and capture one, will only download 'locked' images.

Some models of Eyefi wireless card did offer this functionality, and I think that with the nikon wireless and wired network transmitters there's a functionality along these lines too.

Any form of tethering will likely slow down your shooting at least a bit, and especially if you're shooting at high frame rates.

Last edited:
Back