Shopping, shop brand or big name?

I've been wet shaving since I was a teenager (69 now) and used a GiIlette 'safety' razor with Wilkinson blades for donkey's years. I tried a Mach 3 some time ago and liked it, good shave and a bit harder to cut yourself with, so I normally use that now. Blades are more expensive, but last a while and there are usually special offers around.

As I mentioned, it was decades ago and other than a cut throat I have run the gamut....
Not quite, how about a Rolls Razor:

The clack-clack sound of my father stropping his Rolls Razor was part of my childhood early mornings :LOL:

I stopped buying Gillette products years ago. I now use an Edwin Jagger razor with Feather razor blades, which works out at about £7.50 a year for the blades, and Geo F Trumper shaving cream.

I'm very interested in these.

For users of these and similar...

I have soft skin (lucky me) but very tough fast growing stubble. Will these be ok for me?

I've been wet shaving since I was a teenager (69 now) and used a GiIlette 'safety' razor with Wilkinson blades for donkey's years. I tried a Mach 3 some time ago and liked it, good shave and a bit harder to cut yourself with, so I normally use that now. Blades are more expensive, but last a while and there are usually special offers around.

As above.

We use a lot of kitchen roll, especially recently due to furry friend treating our house as a toilet, and I did notice that my usual go-to Plenty has jumped from £6 to £8.50 last week for a pack of 4. Nope, not buying that now out of principle. So went for a lesser known brand. You can feel the difference, but essentially still does the job.

In general we've started to shop around now rather than just have it all delivered from the one supermarket. More out of principle really, especially when seeing the reports that the big four supermarkets were behind keeping fuel prices high, whether or not that is really true.

We use a lot of kitchen roll, especially recently due to furry friend treating our house as a toilet, and I did notice that my usual go-to Plenty has jumped from £6 to £8.50 last week for a pack of 4. Nope, not buying that now out of principle. So went for a lesser known brand. You can feel the difference, but essentially still does the job.
I have found the more expensive ones need fewer/do more and I also tear them in half when not needing a whole sheet.

I have found the more expensive ones need fewer/do more and I also tear them in half when not needing a whole sheet.

I'm not wasting money on luxury to clean up a turd. Literally! lol

I have soft skin (lucky me) but very tough fast growing stubble. Will these be ok for me?
I have a pretty fast grown stubble and reasonably soft skin and I use a safety razor, don't use feather blades though. My blade of choice is Astra but that's made in Russia so the next purchase will likely be Derby or something similar. I shave face and head with no problems.

Again it comes down to personal preference. Everybody’s skin is different, everybody’s facial hair is different, and everybody’s shaving technique is different. The key to a good shave is the preparation of the facial hair and using a good quality shaving cream/soap.

We buy a few own brand products where we have found that they are just as good as branded products. The kids will eat Tesco coco pops, but no one seems to be able to do a good Cheerio.

Our biggest money save has been meal planning and online shopping. We recently started looking back at our accounts and were shocked that we were spending around a grand a month on groceries. We were doing weekly shops yet still nipping out to the co-op every couple of days for extra bits. Now we plan our meals for the week and order what we need on an online shop and get it delivered so much less wastage, less unnecessary items that jump out at you from the shelves, less bribes to get the kids around the aisles. And best of all roughly halved our food bill.

The key to a good shave is the preparation of the facial hair and using a good quality shaving cream/soap.
For me this is essentially, I always shave after the shower it helps to make the shave smoother. Regarding cream, I use Arko, I mean its not like the Turks no nothing about shaving :)

For me this is essentially, I always shave after the shower it helps to make the shave smoother. Regarding cream, I use Arko, I mean its not like the Turks no nothing about shaving :)
They used to be rather good at beheading so I suppose it depends how close a shave you want :LOL:

Shaving? Mugs' game!!!

"Own brand" against "preimium"? We'll usually give the shop brand a try and if it comes close (or is a clear winner in terms of value for money etc., we'll stick with the shop stuff. Bog roll? Kleenex premium quilted - give yer ring a treat!!!

It may have a brand name but still be made in China! Bosch, JCB, etc.

It may have a brand name but still be made in China! Bosch, JCB, etc.

Nothing wrong with quality if it’s being made in China provided the brand is still ‘real’, eg Apple etc. the problem comes when the brand name has been sold to some unknown Chinese firm which I think has happened with a lot of electrical stuff and in my experience to lawn mowers :(.

Nothing wrong with quality if it’s being made in China provided the brand is still ‘real’, eg Apple etc. the problem comes when the brand name has been sold to some unknown Chinese firm which I think has happened with a lot of electrical stuff and in my experience to lawn mowers :(.

Good parallels can be drawn here with the "Mini" series of dashcams. I think it was the Mini 0801 from what must be from almost a decade ago and took the dashcam scene by storm with its video quality and reliability. I believe it was produced in one factory at the time, but later (and I'm not sure of the specifics) I believe it either went out to licence in all sorts of factories or it was simply copied. The quality went downhill fast.

My own dashcam is a Street Guardian and is produced in one factory in China. It's not cheap but it's been impeccably reliable for what must be 7 years now. I get the impression that if Chinese manufacturers are given a decent budget then they can and will produce decent gear. Give them a paltry budget and you'll basically get what you are paying for.

Good parallels can be drawn here with the "Mini" series of dashcams. I think it was the Mini 0801 from what must be from almost a decade ago and took the dashcam scene by storm with its video quality and reliability. I believe it was produced in one factory at the time, but later (and I'm not sure of the specifics) I believe it either went out to licence in all sorts of factories or it was simply copied. The quality went downhill fast.

My own dashcam is a Street Guardian and is produced in one factory in China. It's not cheap but it's been impeccably reliable for what must be 7 years now. I get the impression that if Chinese manufacturers are given a decent budget then they can and will produce decent gear. Give them a paltry budget and you'll basically get what you are paying for.

When I did product approvals I dealt with Chinese companies. Sometimes some specification, test or certification would be missing and I'd ask for it and they'd then sound a little confused and would ask for an example just so they could understand what I was taking about. I'd fire off the example and the very next day an almost identical would come back relating to their thing. Of course, they would never just copy someone else's documentation only changing the details so it looked like it related to their thing would they? Of course not :D

I'm sure there are reputable companies in China but looking after a supply chain over there must be a nightmare for an honest company. A significant proportion of their stuff is I suspect accompanied by falsified documentation, component spec, testing data, environmental, safety etc... I wouldn't leave anything on trust.

Last edited:
When I did product approvals I dealt with Chinese companies. Sometimes some specification, test or certification would be missing and I'd ask for it and they'd then sound a little confused and would ask for an example just so they could understand what I was taking about. I'd fire off the example and the very next day an almost identical would come back relating to their thing. Of course, they would never just copy someone else's documentation only changing the details so it looked like it related to their thing would they? Of course not :D

I'm sure there are reputable companies in China but looking after a supply chain over there must be a nightmare for an honest company. A significant proportion of their stuff is I suspect accompanied by falsified documentation, component spec, testing data, environmental, safety etc... I wouldn't leave anything on trust.
I have a vague memory of reports about the first MG brand cars coming from the new Chinese owned plant to the EU and having issues that went beyond simply QC ones.......perhaps it was their NCAP test results??? IIRC there was then a delay before they came on sale :thinking:

Last edited:
I have a vague memory of reports about the first MG brand cars coming from the new Chinese owned plant to the EU and having issues that went beyond simply QC ones.......perhaps it was their NCAP test results??? IIRC there was then a delay before they came on sale :thinking:

Didn't they completely rip off Land Rover? I'm sure I remember something about that.

Didn't they completely rip off Land Rover? I'm sure I remember something about that.
I too saw that mentioned I think in 2018...... an (almost) exact copy called Wind Rover IIRC . I think the article said that Jaguar Range Rover were completely powerless to stop it once it appeared. I think I recall JRR eventually had to come to some sort of arrangement with the WR makers because JRR were now so deeply reliant on their Chinese manufacturing plant!

I too saw that mentioned I think in 2018...... an (almost) exact copy called Wind Rover IIRC . I think the article said that Jaguar Range Rover were completely powerless to stop it once it appeared. I think I recall JRR eventually had to come to some sort of arrangement with the WR makers because JRR were now so deeply reliant on their Chinese manufacturing plant!

I didn't know that so I googled it...

"Autocar's reporter at the Guangzhou motor show confirmed that the X7 has reasonable quality leathers and soft plastics for a Chinese car. He noted, however, that many of the panel gaps were irregular, and highligted bubbling of paintwork on corners. Furthermore, the gaps of the rear doors and boot were neither regular nor flush with the sides. He also noted that LandWind previously scored a zero-star Euro NCAP crash test safety ratings for its Isuzu Rodeo-based X6."

Seems about right :D

Also...

"On March 22, 2019, the Beijing Chaoyang District Court ruled in favor of Jaguar Land Rover, saying that Landwind had copied five unique design elements and ordered a cease of production and sales immediately, in addition to paying Jaguar Land Rover compensation."

Well, a Chinese court doing the right thing. Good for them.

Last edited:
I didn't know that so I googled it...

"Autocar's reporter at the Guangzhou motor show confirmed that the X7 has reasonable quality leathers and soft plastics for a Chinese car. He noted, however, that many of the panel gaps were irregular, and highligted bubbling of paintwork on corners. Furthermore, the gaps of the rear doors and boot were neither regular nor flush with the sides. He also noted that LandWind previously scored a zero-star Euro NCAP crash test safety ratings for its Isuzu Rodeo-based X6."

Seems about right :D

Also...

"On March 22, 2019, the Beijing Chaoyang District Court ruled in favor of Jaguar Land Rover, saying that Landwind had copied five unique design elements and ordered a cease of production and sales immediately, in addition to paying Jaguar Land Rover compensation."

Well, a Chinese court doing the right thing. Good for them.
Thanks for your 'digging' and more detailed information :) NB I am glad my memory was not completely off :LOL:

Though did LandWind actually cease production and pay the compensation?
A zero NCAP ? What are they making them out of, aluminium foil ???

I remember when Top Gear made fun of Chinese cars, as in the safety tests were a joke:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A9A7wttUqw

I have a vague memory of either an early Chinese made car or as mentioned earlier the first MG out of China that one issue on their interpreting Western manufacturing processes was crumple zone designs and that the designers & engineers saw extra metal in the, IIRC they are called 'longerons', front chassis area that includes the engine bay frame.

"They" could see no reason for the additional metal and removed it from the design to save both weight & cost! The rest as they say is history?

Last edited:
Back