Undecided Short city break - where?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I have about 4 days to play with and would like to take a short city break somewhere in Europe with my Mrs. We are not that into bars/nightclubs or beaches, but prefer walkabouts for good street photography, buildings, etc. Also, like colourful street scenes and the old-time streets & villages. Everything would need to be easily accessible as we are not getting any younger, or have excellent public transport. Good food is a must. So, where to go? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Barcelona- gaudi's Park and cathedral lots of architectural elements - Las Ramblas for street photos. Very chilled.
The metro is good, they used to have 3 circular bus routes that you could buy passes for that allows you to jump on and off as you wish, they went to all the good locations

Florence- spoilt for old streets lots of markets. Can get a train to Sienna, small narrow streets

Berlin has lots of architecture plus the coldwar features

I can reccomend Tarragona, only an hour from Barcelona by train, very old town, great food and lots of roman architecture.

Ghent is very pleasant, bit of everything and excellent tram system

I did Prague a while back. It’s a very interesting place l. We took in a walking tour. Great way to see the place

Cologne - very cheap to get to, easy train from airport to city, some old bits, museums, river, great for photography. Good food, amazing cake shop, great kolsch (beer)

Florence- spoilt for old streets lots of markets. Can get a train to Sienna, small narrow streets

I second that, Florence is great for photography plus Piza as well.

Budapest.
Great history.
Amazing spas.
Wonderful food.
Easy to get to.
(language not an issue as most speak English)
Cheap accommodation (we stayed Air BnB for £35/night)
Safe to walk around.
Great for photography....

If go back in a shot of I had a long weekend free....

Thanks guys, I'll look at these over the weekend. Prague I've done already and enjoyed it but didn't like the food. Fed up with Edinburgh, it's on my doorstep.

Krakow is crackin'

Another vote for Krakow. It ticks all the boxes you mention and it’s still quite good value for money. Plenty of old buildings to look at and photograph as the city’s buildings came through WW2 pretty much undamaged. Excellent tram system to whizz about on and food is good. The castle is fantastic and Kazimierz (Jewish Quarter of the city) is endlessly photogenic. Lots of WW2 stuff to look at and visit if history is your thing.

Gdansk is superb. Flights £14,99 with Ryanair and stunning apartments through Airbnb. Eating and drinking is really cheap.

Wife & I loved Rome, not cheap but fabulous architecture, hop-on, hop-off bus and small enough to see lots in a short time. Food- well it's Italy, so for me the food was good.

Bit late to the party but I have to say Rhodes GREECE. Great weather just now, plenty of images to be taken in the Old Town and great mountain villages with a lot of history. Russ

If we're not too late:
Rome is excellent, though you'll walk your legs off. Food is ok. Choose here for archaeology.
Florence is nicer and smaller, choose this if you like art.
Siena is fascinating but a 'dark' place. Choose this if you like a sense of mystery.
Copenhagen is lovely but spendy. Feels like London without the crowds and squalor.
No one has mentioned Salzburg yet, but that's a beautiful and fascinating city. Choose this for memories of how Europe used to be.

Last edited:
No personal experience but from what I've been told, Tallinn is interesting, attractive and fairly compact.

Dave

Recently stayed in Rotterdam and went for day trips to Amsterdam, Delft, Gouda, The Hague and Dordrecht.
Excellent short break, easy travelling by train and lots to see.

Will be doing the same in Brussels later in the year and have days out in various Belgian cities by rail.
Looking forward to revisiting Antwerp, first time to Bruges along with Charleroi and Liege

Before that booked a few days in Lille, quite a bit to see there and in the immediate area.
Also that old favourite Paris, never tire of visiting there, bit Like London always something new to see

Street photography in Germany can cause problems because of their privacy laws.

Then a quick visit to Granada :D

I was going to say Madrid. Of all the capital cities I've been to Madrid's been a total joy to photograph and just to be in - plus Toledo and the Escorial are not far away if you wish to see something a little less city like.

Back