Short-eared Owl on the hunt

Like that Phil, colour co-ordinated too :)

Like the wing position on this one, Phil...just looked at the large version on Flickr and there is no fine feather detail whatsoever, is this a big crop?

Like that Phil, colour co-ordinated too :)

Thanks Roger

Like the wing position on this one, Phil...just looked at the large version on Flickr and there is no fine feather detail whatsoever, is this a big crop?

Thanks Andy, the crop is at about the limit I like to go to, not sure how to give it as a % but its cropped half along the top and half down the edge making it a quarter of its original size..........does that make sense??

The shot was taken using a D7000 and a Sigma 150-500, poor light, 1/800th and 1600 ISO, no noise reduction and only a little PP'ing plus the crop. Not a perfect shot by far but for the equipment and conditions I thought it a little more than just a record shot,........and believe me, I have more of those than I can shake a stick at! :D

I've found that both Long and Short-eared owls don't show a massive amount of feather detail, they do seem to appear very 'smooth' as far as feather detail goes but admit better light conditions and a shot that filled the frame would have probably have shown more detail, cheers

Hi Phil...that makes sense re the crop (n)

Not sure how the D7000 is for noise, but if it doesn't fair too well I can see iso1600 wiping quite a lot of the detail, especially at the image size presented, so congrats on holding onto what you have :)

And, it's still better than the majority of my SEO flight shots :coat:

nice effort Phil, it's held up well considering the crop and the settings you had available, I don't think theres much more you could have done in this situation.

Good comments by Andy, lets hope for a good winter

Mike

nice effort Phil, it's held up well considering the crop and the settings you had available, I don't think theres much more you could have done in this situation.

Good comments by Andy, lets hope for a good winter

Mike

Thanks for commenting Mike

Last year was an exceptional year for voles, we had around 6 shorties that stayed on the moors over winter, all hunting a similar same area.

This year they've been very thin on the ground, I only know of one, not a million miles away from the LEO's :)

Good shot Phil

as with many images it looks sharper and the colours look stronger on Flickr than they do on here - I just cannot figure out why???

great shot

Cheers

Good shot Phil

as with many images it looks sharper and the colours look stronger on Flickr than they do on here - I just cannot figure out why???

Thanks Bill, have you tried Google Chrome? I've just viewed it side by side, first on Chrome, then on Firefox, chrome looks identical if not slightly better on here than Flickr. Firefox definitely makes it look soft on here but its ok on Flickr.

I definitely put the problems I was experiencing down to FF!

Very nice Phil.

Thanks Paul

Very nice Phil, I really like this one. The colours set it off nicely imo.

Really hoping to see one soon, may have to travel though a fair bit! :)

Thanks Wez

lovely

Love this the colours blend so well..
Just had a look at your photo stream on flickr, it really shows what the D7000 is capable of, it also shows I really am not getting anywhere near the most or best out of mine :facepalm:, out of interest is your sigma 150-600 the c or s version?

Love this the colours blend so well..
Just had a look at your photo stream on flickr, it really shows what the D7000 is capable of, it also shows I really am not getting anywhere near the most or best out of mine :facepalm:, out of interest is your sigma 150-600 the c or s version?

Thanks Ian, I bought the 'c' version, being cheaper helped but I also do a lot of walking so being lighter was a big advantage.

I also upgraded to a D7200 this summer, without looking back, around 3/4 months ago. The main advantaged I found was better tracking at lower light and better higher ISO quality.

I suppose its down to how happy you feel with the equipment you use and I've been pleased with mine. The combo is never going to compete with higher end equipment as far as IQ goes but I just can't justify have 5 grand plus worth of equipment sat in the camera bag :)

A good capture Phil,the combo of your equipment suits your photography...i loved my 400mm 5.6 for out on walkabout ,missed a few shots going out with the 500mm f4 that i would have got with the 400mm ,i love the colour in this shot ,as said its so much sharper on Flickr but i always take that in to consideration now when i look at images on here ...

A good capture Phil,the combo of your equipment suits your photography...i loved my 400mm 5.6 for out on walkabout ,missed a few shots going out with the 500mm f4 that i would have got with the 400mm ,i love the colour in this shot ,as said its so much sharper on Flickr but i always take that in to consideration now when i look at images on here ...

Thanks Den, have you tried Google Chrome as a browser? I mentioned it to Bill so starting to sound like broken record :D but it cured the problems I had with images looking softer on here than Flickr (y)

Back