Short Eared Owl

Oversharpened or not, awesome capture. It's a lovely bird, the colours and posture are excellent.

I do tend to oversharpen on occasions , guess I dont know when to stop lol
Nice shot of the owl.

Im just wondering why or how anyone can say this has been over-sharpened. What are the tell-tale signs?
Because Steve told us Jerry....On a serious note to my eye and it appears to a couple more members especialy on my screen it looks oversharpened ,possibly down to a experienced eye from doing lots of PP, also if i remember correct Steve is new to Photoshop and lightroom , i know i oversharpned a lot when i started with that combo,i notice now that if i get most shots right in camera i dont add nowhere near as nuch sharpening as i used to ...Just my view on it

Last edited:
It would have been an absolutely cracking view let alone a really good capture. I suppose in real life the light would have needed to be excellent to get this much definition, and it appears that it was actually quite flat. Maybe this creates a little bit of doubt in one's mind?

It would have been an absolutely cracking view let alone a really good capture. I suppose in real life the light would have needed to be excellent to get this much definition, and it appears that it was actually quite flat. Maybe this creates a little bit of doubt in one's mind?
Just viewed the shot on Flickr and it dont look as bad there(viewed large)...could be a largish crop and Steve as just oversharpned a tad ,all in all still a good capture with a classic pose

Im just wondering why or how anyone can say this has been over-sharpened. What are the tell-tale signs?
- the over-sharpening is slight on this cracking shot, in my opinion - the tell-tale signs are usually a "halo" or "artefacts" along the very edge of the image, best seen against a plain background (as here under the body of the owl). Hope this helps :)

Russ

Thanks for the feedback guys , as Den says it looks different on Flickr as I chose a smaller size to upload onto the forum and also the fact I am new to Lightroom/ photoshop combination processing which may also be a contributing factor. Regarding Jerry's comment the light was not flat it was captured an lovely low winter sunshine.

Back