Short film made with Canon 5DII. Cumbrian Floods - Please help!

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

I made this short film to raise awareness of the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund after the disasterous flooding we experienced a couple of months ago here. The photos were all shot by me with the 5D2 and the few movie clips were also done on the 5D2 (the movie clips are far from professional (all hand held) but help illustrate the point).

Please give me your thoughts and, most importantly, please also help spread the word about this film as this is for a very worthy cause. My local area is still devastated and needs all the help it can get.

Special thanks go out to Moby for allowing me to use his music free of charge.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCxr0JfLEv0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UCxr0JfLEv0&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]​

Jamie that was very moving. You did a fine job of showing the existing reality.

I love Cumbria and always will no matter what state it's in, it wont stop us from coming that way to camp.

:clap:

Really good getts the message over that really needs to that even months on the place still needs fixing.

I was up there last week in Cockermouth and went for a walk down the highstreet I was supprised to see that Boots and Greggs are actually open again, the highstreet is a constant supply of skips being brought in and taken away full. The company I was visiting have moved in to temporary accomodation, their shop is still drying out with huge heaters and fans going 24/7, the walls have been removed even the concrete floor has been pulled up. They are hopeing to reopen for the 1st May.

Thanks people. Yes, Boots was re-opened within a week which was simply outstanding. The rest of the street is ruined and will take a long time to put back together.

It's the little things that people don't realise. A 5 minute drive to work can now take 2 hours, farmland is wrecked and the animals have little to eat, people can't even cycle or walk to work in some places because footbridges have gone. I even know of families that had just got back in their homes in time for Christmas and then had their children's presents stolen by looters. My son has missed days at school because of the traffic and his sports activities have been cancelled due to the road network. There is so much difficulty here at the moment. The 3 weeks of snow and ice made it even worse.

Nice bit of reportage that - gets the message across well :)

Jamie that was a very moving piece of film and wonderfully edited, all of that will make it very accesible and people will want to watch it. Are you facebooking it? I find facebook is the fastest way to get the word out these days. Even set up a facebook page or ask people who have done to use it?

Thanks TBM & Vic

I am not on Facebook but I have tried to put it on the wife's Facebook page. I am not really sure how Facebook works... I must get on there soon.

If any of you can offer to put it on your own Facebook page I would be most grateful.

At the moment I have got it posted on Photo.net, Vimeo, Liveleak, Cinema5D and here. Any other ideas would be great.

Very well shot and moving video

I've just posted it in my facebook profile for you, hopefully if a few of us do that will get it some good visibility

Richard & Ian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to add it to Facebook, that's really appreciated.
Ian, you probably noticed that Maryport got off light with virtually no damage thankfully. Cockermouth was the worst hit but Workington lost the big two bridges which has done the most long term damage for the local population.

Thanks again.

Anyone else out there? Can you help by adding the link to Facebook?

Richard & Ian,

Thank you so much for taking the time to add it to Facebook, that's really appreciated.
Ian, you probably noticed that Maryport got off light with virtually no damage thankfully. Cockermouth was the worst hit but Workington lost the big two bridges which has done the most long term damage for the local population.

Thanks again.

Anyone else out there? Can you help by adding the link to Facebook?

Hi Jamie - I actually looked at you house today matey - I once picked up some white cloth off you !

Hi Jamie - I actually looked at you house today matey - I once picked up some white cloth off you !

Woah, this place is a very small world! I vaguely remember your visit (business is so brisk now that I have a hard job remembering each transaction!)

Very nicely composed piece mate, (y) perfectly conveys the scale of the disaster.

Posted on my facebook, thats 500 people.

Thanks Tim, the response on here is amazing so far! This is really starting to pick up pace now.

Anybody else on Facebook? Can you help?

Jamie, some of the responses so far....

"Incredibly moving Ian ........ the cemetary was awful to see. :-( "

"God that made me cry!! "

"I can't watch the film because of this silly dongle,all i'll say is they deserve all the coverage they can get now the press has deserted them.charity begin's at home.look at cumbria foundation on facebook for further info."

"I was going to donate £20 to the Haiti appeal, but, after watching this, i've changed my mind. Like **** says - charity starts at home. Ive donated it to this instead."

Ian, that's incredible. I am very moved to be responsible for such replies. This is what the film was meant to be about and it seems to be working. Your feedback has made me even more determined to get the message out there.

Since you people have helped spread the word today, the viewing rate is approaching 1 every 10 seconds at the moment! Hopefully it won't slow down. I have just emailed the Cumbria Foundation to tell them about it so hopefully they will add it to their site.

Please keep the help coming everyone. Add the link to Facebook, it REALLY does make a difference as you can see already!

Things are starting to quieten down on here so I thought I'd bump this post up a bit more.

Can anyone else who has access to Facebook help with this project?

Awesome video Jamie!!! :clap::clap::clap: You captured the mood beautifully!! :):crying:

I was up in Whitehaven on Friday, for the 1st time in rush hour since the floods and was amazed by the 8 mile tailback leading up to the Papcastle bridge roundabout, just so people can cross the Derwent! Why on earth can't the army stick a road bridge up in Workington, I will never know - am I not right in thinking they could cross a river the size of the Thames using a pontoon bridge, with tanks and what have you, in about 12 hours??

PS It's on my Facebook page too, and will soon be on Twitter!! :)

Big thanks to Richard and Candlestick!

It really does mean a lot to me when people post it on Facebook etc. It's such an easy thing to do but many people are just viewing this thread and then passing on by. I have tried posting this on the Amateur Photographer forum today but they pulled the thread for some stupid reason. Apparently I was breaking rules. That forum drives me nuts so I'll avoid it from now on.

Yes Candlestick, the traffic is unbelievable here. It will be like this for months, if not a couple of years. People around here are annoyed with the local council. The footbridge that the army built is capable of carrying 75 ton Challenger tanks but the council has forced it to be a footbridge only. They are still in the process of "making a decision" on another bridge. Good grief, it's been two months, how long does it take?

Anyway, any more Facebook/Twitter helpers out there?

I hope you don't mind but I'm bumping this thread for the last time as it's important.

Can anyone else on here offer to post the link to this video on their website or Facebook page? It will cost you nothing but will do a lot of good for this charitable cause. Please help, many thanks. :)

For those kind members of this forum that took the time to help me out on this, I am pleased to announce that the film has today been officially accepted by the Cumbria Flood Recovery Fund to help publicise their work. This is fantastic news and makes my effort feel worthwhile.

A huge thanks to you all, it's just a shame there were so few members willing to spare a few seconds of their time. :nono:

Thanks to all the good guys on here! :clap:

P.S. It's still not too late to publish the link on your Facebook page. Those of you that are willing will be congratulated and forever held in high regard. (y)

Back