Shortie; 52 for 2010

Name
lee
Edit My Images
No
Well, I thought I may as well join all the others in attempting a "52er" this year. Im new to the site and photography in general so hopefully it should help me improve! :p:p:

I tend to spend a lot of time working which leaves me little time to take photos, but I think i should manage one suitable shot each week. :help::help:

Only had my Canon EOS 500D a few weeks and it is my first DSLR, so lets hope in 52 weeks time i have learnt how to use it properly lol :clap::clap:

Cheers all, just sorting out week 1's picture

Week 1: Curves - Post 2
Week 2: Poetry - Post 11

Last edited:
01/52: Curves

CURVES.jpg

Nice colours and light. I'm trying to work out what they are. They certainly fit the theme. I'm not an expert but I think I would have cropped out the OOF ones in the foreground.An interesting shot and a good start to the year. I also hope to learn from this challenge.

thank you for the comments sue, all tips taken on board.

As to what they are? They are like glass stone type things - decorative lol

Hmmmm....is there a prize for guessing what these are?? :D
I actually quite like the out of focus ones in the front, but I think the image could have been improved if you had focussed on the centre of the image rather than (what seems) towards the right.
There also seems to be a bit of noise in the image - was this shot at quite a high ISO?
Key thing however is that you learn from doing the 52, and like you've said, get your camera out atleast once a week! I went through phases where I didn't get the camera out of the bag for weeks last year, so I too am hoping taking part in this challenge will make me take more pictures!

Last edited:
At first I didn't know where to look at, all of those little pieces seemed to be out of focus. Then saw your reflection (that's you with the camera, no?) at one of them, so I guess that's where the focus is ;)

I like it, the colours and the randomness of the stones works. I think it would have been good if the nearly in focus stone, front centre was fully in focus, as I'm drawn to that one, rather than the ones just behind which are in focus. Nicely done though, and welcome to the 52s

Hmmmm....is there a prize for guessing what these are?? :D
I actually quite like the out of focus ones in the front, but I think the image could have been improved if you had focussed on the centre of the image rather than (what seems) towards the right.
There also seems to be a bit of noise in the image - was this shot at quite a high ISO?
Key thing however is that you learn from doing the 52, and like you've said, get your camera out atleast once a week! I went through phases where I didn't get the camera out of the bag for weeks last year, so I too am hoping taking part in this challenge will make me take more pictures!

ProG, thanks for the comments, this really is a steep learning curve for me. understanding noise and ISO is still a blurr to me so i am not really that sure. Still kind of just pointing the camera and shooting at the moment lol

At first I didn't know where to look at, all of those little pieces seemed to be out of focus. Then saw your reflection (that's you with the camera, no?) at one of them, so I guess that's where the focus is ;)

I think it might be me with the camera lol

I like it, the colours and the randomness of the stones works. I think it would have been good if the nearly in focus stone, front centre was fully in focus, as I'm drawn to that one, rather than the ones just behind which are in focus. Nicely done though, and welcome to the 52s

Thanks for the positives, lets hope each week gets better :D

Sorry, got a really stupid question as cant find the thread.

Where is the list of what each weeks topic is going to be?

Also, when does a week run from and too?

Sorry, got a really stupid question as cant find the thread.

Where is the list of what each weeks topic is going to be?

Also, when does a week run from and too?

Hi Lee,

Simon will put a new thread in the "competitions and challenges" area each week - usually on a Sunday. It makes the next week's theme a bit of a surprise.

That's a really nice shot. Agree with John that the central stone would work better completely in focus - as that seems to be the main focus of the composition. Only a small niggle though.
All in all it works very well and would make a lovely screensaver.

Really struggled this week and ended up with a very rushed photo that im not very happy with.

Anyway, the poem!

Choosing to be great at golf, I bought a golfing book,

Bashing balls for megabucks without a slice or hook?

Balance, grip and leave the wife was Faldo's claim to fame,

Golf clubs branded "Great White Shark" would guarantee my game.

02/52: Poetry

Golfswing.jpg

Any thoughts on the photo, its one of those glass things with a figure inside it and a light underneath.

Found it very hard to shoot

it looks a bit out of focus to me, and to be honest, I wasn't sure if was some kind of effect in photoshop (as I'm a newbie too! :) )

good effort though, as those things are normally TINY!

Ahhhh took me a while to figure out what it was and that was only after reading your 2nd post!! Great effort and idea with the lighting but I agree I think it could do with being slightly sharper and more in focus to add to the effect.

Back