SHORTY FORTY - Canon EF 40 f/2.8 Pancake

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-ef-40-f2-8-pancake/

canon-40mm-f28.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Voigtlander 40mm pancake that I use on my 5d3 (5d2 before that), and I love it. The 40mm focal length is 3mm short of true normal, making it a very comfortable focal length to use as it is super easy to visualize the shot before you raise the camera to take the shot. If this lens is similar in IQ to the Voigtlander then I might consider giving up the extra stop of the Voigtlander to get the AF in this lens.

it's such a shame they didn't make it a 40/2 or 40/1.8 that would have been lovely.

looks like a photoshop of a lens onto an extention tube TBH but not to say its not real though

Last edited:
looks like a photoshop of a lens onto an extention tube TBH but not to say its not real though

What makes you say that?

The "Ø52mm" would be upside down

The Canon logo looks a bit 'shopped on and the '40mm' looks like it's been laid over the image....

Indeed. I just don't see the point either - fit a nice, compact pancake lens onto a hulking great 5D3 or 1D body.....

Everyone will think it's just your body cap! Especially if you stick a ND filter on it.

I think it's quite a cool little lens. You're going out with your super-tele and stick this in your pocket with your spare card.

If true it could mean canon are looking at an eos mount interchangeable lens compact...

I would love them to release a full frame or even a crop compact that I can use my existing lenses on if I so chose!

The Canon logo looks a bit 'shopped on and the '40mm' looks like it's been laid over the image....

Now they shop their lenses, like the awful job they did on 24-70 II

it's such a shame they didn't make it a 40/2 or 40/1.8 that would have been lovely.

+1. I don't see how this will be much different to what 24-70mm can do. (apart from being tiny)

If true it could mean canon are looking at an eos mount interchangeable lens compact...

I would love them to release a full frame or even a crop compact that I can use my existing lenses on if I so chose!

Yeah it seems like the most sensible use of this lens... fingers crossed!

Have to say I agree with most; not sure of the point of it.. can pay half the price and use a nifty fifty instead. If it was faster then I'd be more interested, but 2.8 is pretty average for a prime

Well I can see everyone's point. In that, it doesn't really have a point. But it might be a fun lens just to have with you. Not really going to weigh you down....

Here is a mock up with my teleconverter lol

2012-06-07%2002.18.51.jpg

whom said:
Well I can see everyone's point. In that, it doesn't really have a point. But it might be a fun lens just to have with you. Not really going to weigh you down....

Here is a mock up with my teleconverter lol

You have a dslr why would you care about weight?

+1. I don't see how this will be much different to what 24-70mm can do. (apart from being tiny)
That is a moot point as it will be a tenth the price/size/weight of the 24-70. Though this lens doesn't excite me, as you say not fast for a standard prime.

Been keeping an eye out for this for a while and has stopped me spending the Voightlander.

Looks ideal for quickly packing in a bag. Of course I would 'probably' put a different lens on for when I am specifically going out to take photos. However, there are so many of my business trips when I want to have my camera with me. I tried having a small point and shoot for a few years but was never happy with the results and I really just want the one camera. If the optics are ok it would be great to always have my camera in my bag in the smallest possible size.

f2.8 doesn't worry me. I hardly shoot below this unless I want a particular effect and then I would have a different lens anyway. Can't wait.

More info and pics

http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/06/canon-ef-40mm-f2-8-stm-information/

A link in the discussion suggests a 7-blade circular aperture, which would set it apart from the 35/2 and 50/1.8, which are both 5s (and it promises to a lot quieter than their buzzy AF motors)

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=7146.15

Pricing rumoured to be about $200

If I can summon the energy to get interested in buying EF lenses again, this could be one to do it. Might be a nice daytime street lens. From using fixed lens film rangefinders, 40mm is nice on FF.

Last edited:
Well, $200 it is.
And some pictures
m.engadget.com/2012/06/08/canon-rebel-t4i-hands-on/

More pics

reviews.cnet.com/2300-6501_7-10012524-3.html

Pre-order price at WEX is £229, it's only a f2.8

I would rather pay a bit more for a 50mm 1.4

Pre-order price at WEX is £229, it's only a f2.8

I would rather pay a bit more for a 50mm 1.4

Its $200 in the USA so I am surprised it's MORE in pounds! $200 is £140, much more reasonable.

i have the 35 1.4 so this lens doesn't really rock my boat, but it does look pretty neat.

whilst this lens will be of interest to some, i really do wish canon would revisit some of their older designs, like the 35/2, 50 1.4 (and 1.8) and give them an optical and build refresh, they are all well over due for one.

whilst this lens will be of interest to some, i really do wish canon would revisit some of their older designs, like the 35/2, 50 1.4 (and 1.8) and give them an optical and build refresh, they are all well over due for one.

I agree it looks good, but not for me. I'd also much rather see refreshes of the older designs, especially the 50mm f1.4.

charts look quite impressive for the price... IF they are real..

IF they are real..

I'm confused by this. :thinking: Not unusual for me TBH. :D

Why wouldn't the MTF chart be real? It's a lens that just been officially announced. The MTF chart for it can be found at Canon sites globally.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm

Unless you're saying Canon's official MTF charts don't match up in real life with independent testing? That's a different thing altogether.

It's okay. I don't need an answer. I just wanted to tell the world I'm confused.. Again. ;)

I'm confused by this. :thinking: Not unusual for me TBH. :D

Why wouldn't the MTF chart be real? It's a lens that just been officially announced. The MTF chart for it can be found at Canon sites globally.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup/ef_40mm_f_2_8_stm

Unless you're saying Canon's official MTF charts don't match up in real life with independent testing? That's a different thing altogether.

It's okay. I don't need an answer. I just wanted to tell the world I'm confused.. Again. ;)

Canon's MTF charts are internally consistent. In other words as long as you are comparing them to other Canon charts they are an accurate measure of relative performance between the lenses being compared. Comparing them to other MTF charts is not recommended though.

From what I see this lens looks like it is going to be a pretty solid performer, especially for the price and size. As long as center sharpness is very good, which the chart says it will be, and AF is fast and accurate it will do what I need it to do.

40mm is a great focal length. When I had my 5d I used Zuikos and the 40/f2 was tiny and turned the camera into a point and shoot. Such a good length 40mm, great walk around lens. Good luck Canon needs to be a bit faster though

plus thats why I downgraded to the G3 and 20mm. perfect for everyday use, Unless you have used 40mm don;t say it the wrong length, try taping a zoom to 40mm for a few days, its the future, haha

So the question is 50mm 1.4 or the new 40mm? Anyone know how many blades on the 50mm 1.4? 40mm has 7.
Do I need anything faster than f2.8...thinking...

Just a shame that a $200 lens is going to cost $355 here in the UK.

Definitely one to get a friend in the US to buy and post to you.

plus thats why I downgraded to the G3 and 20mm. perfect for everyday use, Unless you have used 40mm don;t say it the wrong length, try taping a zoom to 40mm for a few days, its the future, haha

Just checked, and of the 3810 shots I've got from this year only 59 are between 30mm and 50mm and only five of them are at 40mm, so maybe not a must have lens for me :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing this in the flesh. I never thought Canon would make a pancake - good effort!

So the question is 50mm 1.4 or the new 40mm? Anyone know how many blades on the 50mm 1.4? 40mm has 7.
Do I need anything faster than f2.8...thinking...

50 f/1.4's 8-blade aperture

Last edited:
Back