Shot at Dawn

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are my selection of the shot at dawn monument at the National Memorial Arboretum these were all taken during the recent TP meet!
The Shot at Dawn Memorial is a British Monument at the National Memorial Arboretum near Alrewas, in Staffordshire, UK in memory of the 346 British and Commonwealth soldiers executed after courts-martial for cowardice and desertion during World War I.The real usual cause for their offences has been re-attributed in modern times to post-traumatic stress syndrome and combat stress reaction.
The memorial portrays a young British soldier blindfolded and tied to a stake ready to be shot by a firing squad. The memorial was modelled on the likeness of 17-year-old Private Herbert Burden, who lied about his age to enlist in the armed forces and was later shot for desertion. It is surrounded by a semicircle of stakes on which are listed the names of every soldier executed in this fashion.

DSC_7807 by cotty332000, on Flickr

Shot at Dawn by cotty332000, on Flickr

DSC_7725 by cotty332000, on Flickr

DSC_7726 by cotty332000, on Flickr

Thanks for Looking!(y)

Good set Simon, B&W works well for this particular memorial - I might re-visit some of mine and try it.

Good set Simon, B&W works well for this particular memorial - I might re-visit some of mine and try it.

Thanks,(y)
The story and this monument struck me particularly and i revisited it several times during the day!
I have one in colour that i like as it has the dark skys behind but the sun lighting it from the front,but some how it just doesn't suit!

Back