Shotgun Mic / Remote Issue

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Hopefully this is the right area to post in (may also post in the video section)....

Anyway, I have borrowed a Rode VideoMic Pro to test before I go ahead and buy one. I have a Panasonic Lumix G7.

I've noticed a few times that suddenly the camera stops recording (fortunately I'm only doing tests and not "real" video). From messing around it seems rather random. At first, I thought it was because I turned the camera on first, and then the mic. The camera thought I had plugged in a remote. So I started switching the mic on first then the camera.... Then I noticed that occassionaly if I switch from 0db to +20db the camera would stop recording and again, display a message about remote/timelapse.... I've also been walking around with it in the house and recording suddenly stopped - again, thinking I had plugged in a remote....

I've just set it to record, and gave the camera a little shake, and yes it stopped recording....

I've only had the G7 about 2 months, the VMP looks like an early one as it doesn't have the more recent suspension system

(this is what it looks like)
img4028.jpg

recent ones were redesigned to look like this
1.jpg

I'm hoping it more an issue with the mic rather than the camera... I've seen plenty of people using these mics (either VMP or the new VMP+) and a G7 camera, so I know the setup works.

Suggestions?

Can you connect the mic to another input source like a computer or voice recorder and try tapping its plug/body to see if there is a loose/suspect connection? Not familiar with the Lumix G7 camera but it seems that there could be an intermittent break in the mic/camera connection that is confusing the camera circuitry and switch over to "remote control" mode.

I have a similar Rode mic that I use with my Panny video camera and this has no problems at all on either the camera or my Tascam recorder.

Last edited:
Back