Shots behind the goal!

I use my 1d2 with a 17-40 but occasionally I will use my 24-70 if the light is very bad at a night game. The 17-40 is wide enough for me but I always put the camera in the centre behind the net just in case of any shots going wide which can happen a lot at Burnley.

Personally I dont setup a camera behind the goal but if a penalty is awarded and I'm at that end I may run around with my 16-35 and shoot through the net. Those that do use a "third" camera use pocket wizards to fire it.

They have shortened the pitch at accrington by a considerable amount.. now loads of space behind one goal... gonna look into this myself...

what do I need... best source and prices?

Another camera... thinking a used 1dmkII
MiniMonopod
Pocket Wizard? I know nowt.. is there a particular one or do they only do one? used as good as new?

and the most basic of all.. how do you fire them?

dont bother with pocket wizards Tony, use Flash In The Pans RF-602 triggers, 1/10th of the price of PW's and do the job

What gear do you use to get these shots?

I have a 17-40 which i think would be wide enough, but what body should I put it on? I don't want to risk a 1D3 so i was thinking of getting a decent cheaper body as a third cam. What do you guys use to fire the shots wirelessly?

I use either 12-24 or 24-70 on the D300S depending on how much space is behind the goal

dont bother with pocket wizards Tony, use Flash In The Pans RF-602 triggers, 1/10th of the price of PW's and do the job

never heard of them.. bit more info would be handy.. like url and stuff? :)

errr ask FLASH IN THE PAN on here :LOL: or pop into his thread here

Laugh.gif

if you know summat tell me before i buy? :)

I have some of Flashys triggers and they work well Tony, no use you borrowing them though as they are Nikon fit.

is this all i need andy (plus another camera) YongNuo RF602 trigger/receiver sets for Canon or Nikon

yep thats it :D work for me and i believe James uses them too cost about £20 i think

yep thats it :D work for me and i believe James uses them too cost about £20 i think

I do indeed use them...and was pleasantly surprised last weekend when they were firing the remote with me near the duguouts...so nearly 40m line-of-sight and they were still firing accurately.

Work very well for me and as has been said...an absolute fraction of the price.

Usually you are on a very wide angle lens so you can still get away with a wide aperture. I'll focus manually on the 6 yard line so generally the keeper will be in focus well enough as well as out towards the edge of the area. Make sure you switch the lens to manual focus or you'll have lots of shots of a very crisp goal net.

What body would you guys recommend for behind the goal?

Also how do you set it up. I presume you have a small aperture to increase DOF and just pre focus on a certain part of the penalty area/goal line?

Gaffa tape will be your friend mate. Set to 1/400 @ f6.3 and ISO to match. Plenty of DoF and fast enough to manage. Manually focused at roughly 3m distance and gaffa tape all the buttons that might get knocked, including zoom ring and focus ring.

17mm zoom on my 30d with my mini tripod and the RF-602s

Usually you are on a very wide angle lens so you can still get away with a wide aperture. I'll focus manually on the 6 yard line.

at f?

manual focus is a given... what about everything else? manual ? but changing light?

Gaffa tape will be your friend mate. Set to 1/400 @ f6.3 and ISO to match.

does everyhting have to be manual then... in our country with ever changing light ?

does everyhting have to be manual then... in our country with ever changing light ?

If I'm expecting changing light I will sometimes set the camera on shutter priority mode with 1/400 and an Iso high enough to get an aperture of at least f5.6. Does that make sense?

If I'm expecting changing light I will sometimes set the camera on shutter priority mode with 1/400 and an Iso high enough to get an aperture of at least f5.6. Does that make sense?

yeagh just wanted to make sure you could sue modes..

gonna get the thingies and give it a try before buying a camera... thinking used 1dmk2 might be best.. or is there better options considering the use... only want to be paying 500 ish

The kit lens would be fine. You're not going to get the shots 100% sharp anyway as you are only guessing focus so a softish lens won't really make much difference.

I use a 40D on a gorilla pod with a 17-40 attached and triggered with a pocket wizard on a camera with a 300mm.

I use it also for horse racing under fences and on the ground at the finishing line for flat racing. This is much harder to pre focus as the horses can come up the straight or jump the fence anywhere but most of the time they do so along the rail but you will only get a useable shot less than half the time at this.

Thats the one I have. No need of a head.

trigger thingies in the post.. gonna order this now

will try my existing gear
1dmk4 with 135
1dmk3 with 17-40 behind goals

see how it works before going to the massive expense of an extra camera for job .... 40d seems to be a good choice and avaialble used at around 350 quid I think

hhm

Last edited:
looking at youtube videos.. have i got the wrong cable? mine fits into reciever and other in is like a audio jack that only fits in video out...

tested with a flash and works.. but not with camera so has to be wrong cable :(

now sorted with seller.. deffo wrong cable as the cable required hasnt been supplied wiht these units for about a yr.. he is going to try and find one for me...

Last edited:
looking at youtube videos.. have i got the wrong cable? mine fits into reciever and other in is like a audio jack that only fits in video out...

tested with a flash and works.. but not with camera so has to be wrong cable :(

now sorted with seller.. deffo wrong cable as the cable required hasnt been supplied wiht these units for about a yr.. he is going to try and find one for me...

have you got this sorted Tony?

have you got this sorted Tony?

not yet... need a cable... deffo works cus tested with flash... seller is looking for a cable but not heard owt.. if not then need to find out what it is and source one.

sorted cable on way... top blokey that flash in the pan :)

sorted cable on way... top blokey that flash in the pan :)

I knew he'd find you one!

Now you just need to get out and try at the next football match. As I said to Andy after he started doing these...be prepared for a lot of disappointment. Very very seldom do you capture anything worthwhile with the remote, I've had a slightly higher hit rate so far this season, with two notable saves and a celebration but that's out of six games.

You'd be kicking yourself the one time you don't bother and you miss a key moment though!

I knew he'd find you one!

Now you just need to get out and try at the next football match. As I said to Andy after he started doing these...be prepared for a lot of disappointment. Very very seldom do you capture anything worthwhile with the remote, I've had a slightly higher hit rate so far this season, with two notable saves and a celebration but that's out of six games.

You'd be kicking yourself the one time you don't bother and you miss a key moment though!

I havent got a third body yet so going to use it sparingly just to see how I get on with it... needs to be when accy are attacking the one goal wiht room behind it... will mean me using that and the 135 only.. am deffo prepared for a massivly stupid keeper rate.. if any... but the concept is.. the one good one will be a killer pic :)

thinking 40d for the third body... 1dmkII gonna be too expensive.. wanna keep below 500

The Gorrilla Pods have different models for different weight capabillities so make sure if ordering fm the *bay that it will support your rig.

Simon

The Gorrilla Pods have different models for different weight capabillities so make sure if ordering fm the *bay that it will support your rig.

Simon

Personally i wouldn't trust a Gorrilla Pod with my kit. I went for the Manfrotto 709B seems to be popular among other sports shooters too :)

Personally i wouldn't trust a Gorrilla Pod with my kit. I went for the Manfrotto 709B seems to be popular among other sports shooters too :)

Wow, awesome. hmm... up til now I've always either used cheaper ebay ones, which do work surprisingly well, but have no hope of keeping up with even 5fps, or just run long cables, or both.

and yeah, I'm no sports shooter but use the 709B for remotes, works really well, rock solid for such a small tripod :)

Last edited:
Back