Shots from aircraft

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Next Sunday a friend is taking me up in light aircraft from Humberside to France for day.
I'm going to take my D90 with 18-105 and recently purchased 70-300.
Any advice for getting some good over head shots? I'm hoping the windows are clean and the weather is good. The 300mm should give me some good zoomed in shots.

I did a bit of shooting from ac last year. The three biggest things were clean windows. Although you get away with it somewhat with the lens as wide as it will go and generally at infinity focus. Secondly, cloud cover. Even a little mist will kill the contrast and make the pics look boring. Lastly, make sure you're not shooting through any engine exhaust gases as they distort the light.

Altitude too I guess. The lower you are, the better!

Altitude too I guess. The lower you are, the better!

Pilots generally don't agree with that!

As has been said, windows. Most are scratched so make sure you are nice and close to the window to focus past it. Do a google search for a man called Mel Cubley, met him once - cracking chap who makes a living selling aerial photos of your house door to door. Generally he uses a 70-200mm f2.8 or over towns where due to the glide clear rule and common sense its 300mm prime on crop bodies.

You will however get a nice interesting viewpoint to get creative and make even mundane stuff look cool. Look at open crop fields, water and the horizon if its a clear day, have a go at framing with bits of the aircraft, get a nice cloudscape with the sun on the top, get a dramatic shot of the ground with a cloud shadow on it, get a shot of the cloud with the aircraft shadow on it - the list goes on. Hope you enjoy it!

He wouldn't happen to be an oddly religious bloke? Had one of these guys break into my house to sell me a photo of my house... was a really bizarre occurrence finding a guy in your kitchen who then tries to sell you a photo. He was nice about it but was never going to get a sale after triggering my fight or flight response :D

Haze could be a problem, and its made worse by looking towards the sun.

Back