Shot's , Shooting , Shooter , Shot ??????

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
I have noticed over the last years that we no longer take a photograph , or a Image / Exposure

The NRA would be so proud of us now adopting the gun terminology

Or the drinking culture

Your thoughts ? :):ty:

Last edited:
I have noticed over the last years that we no longer take a photograph , or a Image / Exposure

The NRA would be so proud of us now adorting the gun terminology

Or the drinking culture

Your thoughts ? :):ty:

Or maybe the extension of "shooting" as in a movie ;)

I suspect that it all started with WW2 fighters and their synchronised gun cameras.

It goes way back. In a book from the 1920s I saw a discussion of snapshots in the context of press photography and it was used in a manner suggesting it was already current terminology. English (like other languages) evolves to cover new technologies by referencing older and more familiar objects and actions.

It goes way back. In a book from the 1920s I saw a discussion of snapshots in the context of press photography and it was used in a manner suggesting it was already current terminology. English (like other languages) evolves to cover new technologies by referencing older and more familiar objects and actions.
Indeed, ‘shooting’ strictly speaking refers to archery but was adapted to firearms where ‘fire’ would be more ‘correct’ ;).

How about "Nice capture?" - Makes me think I've caged something.

I am wondering who "we" is ? I have always used those terms :)

You have, their Soul !!!
Sadly a lot of people seem to believe that, or something like it, these days, hence all the problems with photographing children and so on.
Years ago this was considered to be a belief held by ‘primitive’ people in foreign lands and was a common theme in travel stories :(

"Shooting / shoot" (When related to photography) Two terms I can't bring myself to use...along with "Bokeh", "Juxtaposition" and, Lord preserve us, "Fujigraph"!
Bokeh doesn’t have any other equivalent in English, though possibly you are complaining of its widespread misuse but that can’t be blamed on the word. It’s a bit like saying you won’t use ‘disinterested’ because so many use it instead of ‘uninterested’ :( .
Whats wrong with Juxtaposition?
I don’t know what a Fujigraph is though :).

You need to hang around the "Fabulous Fuji thread" a bit more
The earliest mention, after a quick search, was 2017.
But I'm pretty sure its an ancient Greek term :D
Ah, you mean Фуџираф :), thanks!

"Shooting / shoot" (When related to photography) Two terms I can't bring myself to use...along with "Bokeh", "Juxtaposition" and, Lord preserve us, "Fujigraph"!

Only one person has ever used that term on here afaik [G.K as shown in the link Cobra posted], it's his own thing, love or loathe it.

Only one person has ever used that term on here afaik [G.K as shown in the link Cobra posted]
There are others one begining with D .... ;)
TBH I always think "Spirograph" ( remember those? ) when I see that term :D

-graph makes me think of Rayograph.

I suppose all these images must be printed on graph paper...:exit:

Only one person has ever used that term on here afaik [G.K as shown in the link Cobra posted], it's his own thing, love or loathe it.
Ah yes snapograph man, I do cringe whenever I read that, but if he likes it ...

There are others one begining with D .... ;)
TBH I always think "Spirograph" ( remember those? ) when I see that term :D
I remember them but I tend to think of the pantograph ... which was not a machine for making underwear out of graph paper, before any silly sod suggests it :).

Oh no it isn't!

I wasn't sure "oh yes he is" was right. I managed to mangle "oh yes it is" with "he's behind you"

Anyway, the real definition of a pantograph is a measurement of how much you pant when reaching the post box on the corner after the Christmas and New Year excesses.

Another serious thread gone bonkers, where will it all end?

I am wondering who "we" is ? I have always used those terms :)

I and the rest of a group that includes me : you and I : you and I and another or others : I and another or others not including you —used as pronoun of the first person plural

Anyway, the real definition of a pantograph is a measurement of how much you pant when reaching the post box on the corner after the Christmas and New Year excesses.
I actually used a pantograph to enlarge line drawings in the 1960s. The one we had was a massive brass affair on its own table in a corner of the advertising department. It had apparently been bought in a fit of "modernisation" sometime in the 1930s and used very occassionally ever after. It was better than getting the platemakers to enlarge stuff because you ended up with much smoother lines.

You now know more about the damned things than you ever wanted to! :naughty:

I actually used a pantograph to enlarge line drawings in the 1960s. The one we had was a massive brass affair on its own table in a corner of the advertising department. It had apparently been bought in a fit of "modernisation" sometime in the 1930s and used very occassionally ever after. It was better than getting the platemakers to enlarge stuff because you ended up with much smoother lines.

Yes but there was a popular wooden ‘toy’ version (probably 1950ish).

I had a "sketch-a-graph in the 70's that did a similar thing...:)

A story, perhaps apocryphal: a cinematographer was flying into the USA to make a test film. When US immigration asked him what he was going to do in their country he replied that he was 'going to shoot a pilot'. He was removed to a small dark room for some considerable time. Another, if unusual, reason to avoid gun-related language.

A story, perhaps apocryphal: a cinematographer was flying into the USA to make a test film. When US immigration asked him what he was going to do in their country he replied that he was 'going to shoot a pilot'. He was removed to a small dark room for some considerable time. Another, if unusual, reason to avoid gun-related language.
Also if true, the paranoia (removed from the entry point desk) of the US border force to not have simply said "pardon, would you care to explain yourself...."???

Back