Shots that get published

Photodiva

Foot elevated on the stool
Name
Carol
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I don't read or buy the Sun or the Mirror, but just looking recently and today in the Metro, I thought it was interesting that most of the sport pictures aren't action pictures at all. Today there's a couple of Kenny Dalglish with his head in his hands, some spectator pointing and laughing at KD, Steven Gerrard standing over the Carrick after his foul. There's a couple of goal celebration pics, and just two game 'action' shots, neither of which seem very satisfying compositionally. There's one 'sportrait' of Alastair Cook.

I know its down to the picture editors to select for the papers, but what happens to all those amazing action shots? I've spent ages and lots of energy trying to perfect timing and framing of good action shots. Which is fine, artistically, I suppose. But realistically, would they ever stand a chance of being published? The ones that have been published in the local tend to be 'stock' images (but not exclusively).

When you are pitchside, apart from the 'wanted' shots of individual players, what do you concentrate on during the match?

The story. A great action shot doesn't always tell that story. The reason why pics of Kenny were used is because it's a huge story. Over 20 years since he left and his first match is at old trafford against their arch enemy, what a story. You can take the worlds best action pictures but if you don't take photographs that a) fit the picture editors page and b) tell the story of that match, you won't get have chance of getting pictures used. Photography is a way of telling a story, showing the events, something we often forget

Hi Carol, Good celebration shots are the order of the day nowadays!, If you study the League paper etc they generally use a Celeb pic large & a smaller action one if it fits!. I always send in the action shots as well but they usually end up just on my PC:shake:

I was going to make a comment about the picture desk on one of those papers - but it's probably not a great idea on the off chance that someone from there reads this forum! :)

To be honest action shots are ten a penny.. at premiership level its easy to get great action.... You always ahve to look for something else.. hopefully somehting the other guy hasnt spotted :)

Hmm. I can see that in the Premier the managers are as much part of the action as the players (like Maradonna). So that's where you need lenses long enough to capture them from the other side of the pitch, I assume. This is less easy to get at the level I shoot at. Lenses notwithstanding, the manager I see regularly is far less flamboyant, and I can only shoot from the same side, so mostly a profile. Not had much success, except for one match recently. If I concentrate on him, I miss the action happening behind me. As for goal celebration, even though I've made the comment to the players, you can bet your last dollar that if they score a goal, they'll disappear to the other side of the goal to where I am. Presently I think mentioning goal celebrations would not be at all tactful - its a bit of a desert just lately!

Got to get the creative juices flowing. I think they've frozen along with the pitch just lately!

The one and only game i've ever shot was a Norwich v Spurs pre season friendly a few years back. There were 5 or 6 goals that day but the only picture in the papers the next day was Berbatov sat on the bench before kick off - and he didn't even play. I think the next day he was off to Man U. So it is all about the news.

If a team's manager is under pressure and facing the sack then thats probably a good time to snap him. At really big games though the big agencies probably got someone just shooting the bench.

You might find the nice action shot get used in magazines for features and player profiles etc or match day programmes maybe sponsors too.

The story. A great action shot doesn't always tell that story. The reason why pics of Kenny were used is because it's a huge story. Over 20 years since he left and his first match is at old trafford against their arch enemy, what a story. You can take the worlds best action pictures but if you don't take photographs that a) fit the picture editors page and b) tell the story of that match, you won't get have chance of getting pictures used. Photography is a way of telling a story, showing the events, something we often forget

well said.

The story. A great action shot doesn't always tell that story. The reason why pics of Kenny were used is because it's a huge story. Over 20 years since he left and his first match is at old trafford against their arch enemy

Slightly off topic but i thought Kenny had been back at Liverpool for a few years now working in the background.

Photography is same as Journalism, we are telling a story in pictures, like they are with words. So we are Photojournalists..thus the reason why papers use things that fit the report ie a cele or a manager pic.

The one and only game i've ever shot was a Norwich v Spurs pre season friendly a few years back. There were 5 or 6 goals that day but the only picture in the papers the next day was Berbatov sat on the bench before kick off - and he didn't even play. I think the next day he was off to Man U. So it is all about the news.

If a team's manager is under pressure and facing the sack then thats probably a good time to snap him. At really big games though the big agencies probably got someone just shooting the bench.

You might find the nice action shot get used in magazines for features and player profiles etc or match day programmes maybe sponsors too.

I think I'll need to read up on the match reports and forum (yawn) to get some more background on what's going on. I'm fortunate that loads of my images get used in the programs and posters, and a few in the local press. My main driver right now is to submit an ARPS panel of 15 shots, and football seems the obvious topic for me right now.

I don't know what the RPS look for when you submit a panel of pictures but I'd imagine less action and more documentary style photos that shows atmosphere and emotion at theses games.

Think detail, like muddy boots, fans, wide angle action shots, players dressing room etc

I think I'll need to read up on the match reports and forum (yawn) to get some more background on what's going on. I'm fortunate that loads of my images get used in the programs and posters, and a few in the local press. My main driver right now is to submit an ARPS panel of 15 shots, and football seems the obvious topic for me right now.

I've started focussing on more trying to get shots other than action now. Players getting carded is my favourite at the moment as they get lots of stick from their mates (and me). Have been trying to think outside the box for both football and rugby. That's my mission for this year

Edited to add - good luck with your panel as well

Oooo - also edited to add again, following BlackDevil's post - have a look at one of my POTM entries from the year before or something
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=1676639&postcount=18.
I did a picture of the rugby shirts hanging up and one of the players putting his boots on, I wonder if you could do something like that - use mine as a how not to do it. (sorry for going off topic)

Last edited:
Hi, Kelly. Thanks for that idea. I like your take on that. I'd thought of something like that, but its getting to the changing rooms in time! I'm not sure how they'd react to me poking my camera in there!

:LOL:

Ok, I have to admit, I did it on a training night :D

:LOL:

Ok, I have to admit, I did it on a training night :D

I contacted the club, the kits are in the wash on the monday training nite! I'll see if I can get there for 1 p.m. before the match this saturday (the adult ed doesn't start for a couple of weeks..) Thanks for the idea :)

Ok, so I only shoot motorsport, but my editors always like the human emotion angle.

If they have a story about someone loosing they want a depressed rider/driver shot and they will probably take that over and above "action" every time.

If its about a winner, they want a celebration - either with the champers or honking a great big wheelie across the line with the chequered flag (bit hard with cars I'll give you...).

But its all about the people generally because people can connect with emotion. The "mechanics" is less appealling to them.

Very often I largely ignore the track action and go look for the human angle - perhaps my wingman will be out shooting action, but sometimes not - at a tight end of season clash we might both be staking out two different team bosses hedging our bets on who wins and smiles/cries.

Photodiva said:
I contacted the club, the kits are in the wash on the monday training nite! I'll see if I can get there for 1 p.m. before the match this saturday (the adult ed doesn't start for a couple of weeks..) Thanks for the idea :)

Improvise then. Think Calendar Girls! :D

Improvise then. Think Calendar Girls! :D

LOL - I'd already suggested that for the club calendar. Funny no-one was that much in favour. They are a bunch of retiring lilies. :LOL:
I'd better go and have a lie down ...

Excellent, hope it goes well. Let me know how it goes. Might be worth trying to do it while they're out warming up and just nick one player quickly. Tell them if Vigo could do it, so could they (friendly rivalry when we used to be in the same league as them) :LOL:

I want to attempt my aerial shot again this year. Might be better to do it first game of the season as when we've tried it before it's been too wet and usually in September it's quite dry

Back