Should anti-tattoo discrimination be illegal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they are employed and are expected to adhere to a dress code according to their terms and conditions then I should be in my right to dismiss them.

But unless it specifically says that in their contract of employment, you'd likely find your ass in a tribunal.

im just wondering on the comparison between people changing their appearance based on their personal feelings etc.

i.e. a person with tattoo has made pretty much the same decision to change themselves as a cross dressing person and/or a transgender (pre/mid/post op).

at least in my mind thats a valid comparison :)

Comparing a person who chooses to indulge themselves with a tattoo bears no comparison with someone who changes gender.

And where's my right to employ whom I choose regardless or race, appearance, qualification or experience.

If somebody with a tattooed face does not fit with my business image, I should retain the freedom not to employ them.

Isn't it funny that when rights are discussed, it only ever seems to be a one way street.

You have no such right. Sad, possibly, but true.

Comparing a person who chooses to indulge themselves with a tattoo bears no comparison with someone who changes gender.

Actually it does. Except in fairly rare cases, the choice to change gender is just that.....a choice.

Actually it does. Except in fairly rare cases, the choice to change gender is just that.....a choice.

I know you like to be provocative just for the sake of it. The decision to have a tattoo does not compare in any way to that of "choosing" to change one's gender.

what she said. a man dressing as a woman (and then possibly following up with a more permanent operation) is choosing to do so, much like someone who gets a tattoo.

what she said. a man dressing as a woman (and then possibly following up with a more permanent operation) is choosing to do so, much like someone who gets a tattoo.

It's nothing like getting a tattoo. When was the last time you heard of somebody going out and getting rat ar*ed at weekend and coming home having had a gender change?

It's nothing like getting a tattoo. When was the last time you heard of somebody going out and getting rat ar*ed at weekend and coming home having had a gender change?
there are people that make a sober decision to have a tattoo.

however i see my point is getting twisted (as normal these days in OOF) so i'll leave it at that.

I know you like to be provocative just for the sake of it. The decision to have a tattoo does not compare in any way to that of "choosing" to change one's gender.

I'll ignore the first purile comment.
Their reason are many. But the choice to have gender re-assignment surgery, is just that......a choice.
No one holds a gun to their head. No one threatens to remove their first born, or take their kneecaps.
Whatever the reason and however long it takes them to reach it. It is a choice.

I think the fact that some people do find tattoos offensive is exactly why some employers are forced to discriminate. For instance, a Police Officer should not be in the position to offend any member of the public, therefore tattoos that could offend members of the public should be prohibited. In my opinion, it's better to appease the majority of people and prohibit tattoos in certain areas of work. However, if for example you're an IT employee and you spend your days sat at a desk not bothering anyone, then I can't see the harm in said person being covered head to toe in tattoos.

It's obviously quite a complicated subject.

And where's my right to employ whom I choose regardless or race, appearance, qualification or experience.

Some of that comes under the equality act 2010. Obviously if not the required experience or qualifications they should be "weeded out" prior to interview. Tattoos are not a protected classification when it comes to discrimination so would be within rights to do so, though I expect this would have to be covered under dress code / appearance policy.

In reality a lot of employers "may" find an alternative reason to not offer to employ someone based upon those categories that are protected... "more suitable candidate" etc.

I think reading this thread it simply seams there is a strong contingent of people that constantly think there opinions constitute facts and rights and oddly enough I am starting to see the same names oh well

The BBC can always step in with an example … as well as his tattoo
This is what it leads to; beware people

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28831106

dosen't he look a "t***" - that's T***
He'll get recycled when he dies

In France Dogs are tattoo'ed rather than "chipped"

Mod edit: swear filter is there for a reason!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll ignore the first purile comment.
Their reason are many. But the choice to have gender re-assignment surgery, is just that......a choice.
No one holds a gun to their head. No one threatens to remove their first born, or take their kneecaps.
Whatever the reason and however long it takes them to reach it. It is a choice.

I think you mean puerile comment, which it isn't. It's merely an observation. I didn't say provocative wasn't good :sneaky:
I never said it wasn't a choice. What I said was it was in no way comparable to choosing to have a tattoo.

Last edited:

you won't get a tattoo drunk and you can't change your gender either but that's another thread

I would always support the right of anyone to choose whether or not to have themselves tattooed if they so wish. However, I've never been able to understand why anyone would want to have a pattern/design/name or whatever permanently inked onto their bodies. Maybe someone who has tattoos could explain, because (to me anyway ...) they look hideous and having this done is an act of total folly and self mutilation. As such, I would have to question the judgement of anyone who did this to themselves, especially if done to extreme, and that would affect any decision I made to employ them or not. But, as i said, their bodies, their choice.

I shave my head AND have tattoos. Some people thing I look like a right nasty b'stard. Luckily, my Wife and Daughter dont think so ;), and my boss still thinks im good at my job despite the choices I made with regards to hair-do and body art (y)

you won't get a tattoo drunk and you can't change your gender either but that's another thread

You're correct it is for another thread. One might change gender, but not change sex. As for getting drunk and tattooed, it happens. Perhaps not in licensed tattoo parlours though.

I shave my head AND have tattoos. Some people thing I look like a right nasty b'stard. Luckily, my Wife and Daughter dont think so ;), and my boss still thinks im good at my job despite the choices I made with regards to hair-do and body art (y)

Quoting.....for when "Like" just won't do :)

Personally I've nothing against tattoos.

The one that really offends me is people who drill holes in their ear lobes and then hang bits of metal off it ;)

And who might that be then?

A moronic attention seeker who wants to be stared at in public then wonders why everyone is staring at them. Surprised I had to elaborate.

Personally I've nothing against tattoos.

The one that really offends me is people who drill holes in their ear lobes and then hang bits of metal off it ;)

What is it about that, that actually offends you? Why are you offended by seeing it?

I like tattoos and other forms of body art, but I admit I dont really like the look of the massive stretched ear piercings. It doesnt 'offend' me though.

A moronic attention seeker who wants to be stared at in public then wonders why everyone is staring at them. Surprised I had to elaborate.

Wow...

...and ill be surprised if I need to elaboate on that (y)

What a lovely attitude you have to a simple question.......

What is it about that, that actually offends you? Why are you offended by seeing it?

I like tattoos and other forms of body art, but I admit I dont really like the look of the massive stretched ear piercings. It doesnt 'offend' me though.

No, the "stretched" ones are ok. It's those little tiny holes that women pierce through their ears. Shouldn't be allowed.

You realise you make no sense at all there, right? :facepalm:

my socks always catch on the hair hence why I shave my toes

I just spat water everywhere.
You owe me a keyboard!

No, the "stretched" ones are ok. It's those little tiny holes that women pierce through their ears. Shouldn't be allowed.

...is the fact that women are allowed to vote still bothering you too?

Not only that, but lots of people have tattoos while there are very few who change gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back