Should different lenses ONLY be used in certain situations?

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm relatively new to photography, and have the following set up:

450D with kit lens, EF-S 17mm-85mm lens for general walk-around shoots, and a new Nifty Fifty which after only having for a day I love and find I can be much more creative with this lens.

My question is: Are certain lenses (like the 50mm Prime Lens for example) only suitable for certain occasions? For example would I only use the 50mm for indoor, portraits shots and the like? I took it outside yesterday and find that I actually prefer using a prime lens to a zoom - I have no idea why but I feel I can get more 'soul' from the photos I take.

I suppose I am asking if there is any hard and fast rule to using different focal length lenses in certain situations.

Comments are welcome.

P

I'm relatively new to photography, and have the following set up:

450D with kit lens, EF-S 17mm-85mm lens for general walk-around shoots, and a new Nifty Fifty which after only having for a day I love and find I can be much more creative with this lens.

My question is: Are certain lenses (like the 50mm Prime Lens for example) only suitable for certain occasions? For example would I only use the 50mm for indoor, portraits shots and the like? I took it outside yesterday and find that I actually prefer using a prime lens to a zoom - I have no idea why but I feel I can get more 'soul' from the photos I take.

I suppose I am asking if there is any hard and fast rule to using different focal length lenses in certain situations.

Comments are welcome.

P

No :D

Use what you like, when you like & how you like to let your creative juices flow

(y)

DD

No :D

Use what you like, when you like & how you like to let your creative juices flow

(y)

DD

Couldn't have put it better. If you like the results, you were using the right lens! (y)

As the saying goes the only rule in photography is that breaking them is the only rule.

I use my fifty all the time as I love the image quality and I'm looking to invest in a couple more primes to give me more range.

I agree with all above.

Never limit yourself.

I find myself using my 30mm and 50mm primes more than my zoom lenses...I will probably add an 85mm prime too.

I find myself using my 30mm and 50mm primes more than my zoom lenses...I will probably add an 85mm prime too.

pretty much the line up i'm looking at allthough it will probably be a 28mm instead of a 30mm, lacks a bit of width on my crop body but should stand me in good stead should I go full frame.

Back