Should DigitalRev cover lens miscalibration?

Name
Byron
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I have sent my 7D body and 17-55mm f/2.8 lens into Fixation in London for diagnostic tests after experiencing problems with the AF not being precise (soft images when cropped to 100%).

Fixation found problems with both the body and the lens. The body is now repaired and I will pick it up later today. They also identified issues with the lens:

"In regards to your enquiry, the technician confirmed that the lens needs to have the AF calibrated as it’s out. He tested against our chart and the focus is soft."

From what I understand and have read on various photography forums, a miscalibrated lens should be covered under manufacturer's warranty and therefore DR's warranty.

I emailed DR to ask whether or not they would cover the lens repair; their reply was:

"Dear Byron,

Hello and thank you for contacting us at DigitalRev! Unfortunately, our warranty only covers manufacturer defects / faults of production and faults of material. As such, we are unable to reimburse you for the lens calibration fees. For more information on our warranty coverage, please visit our website at: http://www.digitalrev.com/help/terms-of-product-warranty/NDE_A ."

To which I replied:
"Thanks for the reply. Why would lens calibration defect not come under faults of production? Surely if it is miscalibrated out of the box then it is a fault of production?"

DR's reply to that:

"Our warranty covers manufacturer defects, faults of production and faults of material. Manufacturer defects for lens are defined as auto-focus errors, design defects or limitations. This can be the result of a fault of production through errors during the manufacturing process or a fault of material in which the lens elements and mechanisms failed to hold up to standard operation.

As photography is a very precise art, the combination of a lens and camera could result in miscalibration even if the camera and lens individually passed the manufacturer quality control to be sold. Standard operation and use of the lens over time could also degrade the calibration of the lens. Our warranty does not cover calibration fees due to it being a matter of how much precision required, but we will still reimburse you for repairs of any manufacturer defect in the lens while within warranty.

If your purchased lens from us were miscalibrated out of the box you can have it replaced under our 14-day return and replacement offer, as the brand new lens should have passed quality control and calibration."

The last paragraph isn't of much use as initially I had attributed my unsharp images to my technique rather than equipment fault. By the time I realised that it was down to problems with the equipment, the 14 days were over.

What are your views? Should my miscaliibrated lens be covered under DR's warranty?

If you buy a lens/body from a UK supplier and the lens and or body have calibration issues Canon will carry out MFA free of charge in the warranty period.

If you buy a lens/body from a UK supplier and the lens and or body have calibration issues Canon will carry out MFA free of charge in the warranty period.

It'll be a grey import though, won't that mean they won't and that why DR offer a warranty?

Within 14 days you have to send the lens back to them in HK for replacement though dont you? Thats not cheap when it has to be fully insured, especially if its a 1kg+ lens and worth around 1k.

I think if you can prove the lens doesnt work with samples on two different bodies they should consider providing prepaid postage or postage to a UK address for returns.

Last edited:
Did you try to contact the lens manufacturer first? Sigma offered to calibrate a lens to my camera if i sent them both items.

Matt, was that a grey import? Im surprised as they usually dont touch grey stuff under warranty unless you have a valid UK receipt.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies.

The lens was shipped from Hong Kong so it is a grey import. I'm just confused because if Canon would happily calibrate it then why wouldn't DR?

The reason DR wont is they are saying its not a manufacturing fault as you would have reported it sooner otherwise. (im not saying thats the truth though)
Manufacturer warranties will almost always be better than a 3rd party warranty in almost every market sector. Clearly photography is no different.

I'm under the impression that with DR there is no manufacturers warranty unless you return it to HK where it might be recalibrated by Canon HK. In the UK they provide there own warranty which covers faults etc as Danny above says its not as good as a manufacturers warranty.

Did you try to contact the lens manufacturer first? Sigma offered to calibrate a lens to my camera if i sent them both items.

Sigma would only look at it after proof of purchase and proof of duty/tax as applicable being paid. They won't touch a lens without both as they view them as illegal imports.

A: Sigma lenses do come with a 1 year international warranty, however, the warranty is only honoured if VAT and duty have been paid on importation into the UK, otherwise it is an illegal import.

http://www.sigma-imaging-uk.com/faq

You buy a grey product that's been smuggled in and it's a chance you take in hoping never to need warranty.

Is the OP's lens a Sigma, or have I missed something?

Now not sure about MFA issues but I was under the impression that unlike bodies the Canon lenses have international warranties as such Canon Elstree are the best folk to ask. Though having said that the OP mentioned Fixation and AFAIK they are Canon authorised repairers so may 'out of the box' need for lens recalibration is not a warranty matter but surely for a new lens it would be a courtesy free "fix".

So unless I missed it has the OP asked why Fixation did not just go ahead and recalibrate the lens???

Now not sure about MFA issues but I was under the impression that unlike bodies the Canon lenses have international warranties as such Canon Elstree are the best folk to ask. Though having said that the OP mentioned Fixation and AFAIK they are Canon authorised repairers so may 'out of the box' need for lens recalibration is not a warranty matter but surely for a new lens it would be a courtesy free "fix".

So unless I missed it has the OP asked why Fixation did not just go ahead and recalibrate the lens???

I think that is for L lenses only

Well, if it were a UK company you'd be able to sue them in the small claims court. And you'd almost certainly win.

However, when you got your tax-free illicit bargain you signed to agree that the only place you could take them to court was in Hong Kong. Good luck with that.

Sigma would only look at it after proof of purchase and proof of duty/tax as applicable being paid. They won't touch a lens without both as they view them as illegal imports.

You buy a grey product that's been smuggled in and it's a chance you take in hoping never to need warranty.

maybe not then :p

Nope, any lens

This is from the Canon HK site. Seems to indicate that canon lenses bought in Hong Kong don't have an international warranty.

2. When you purchase your Canon product, an International Warranty Card will be included if your Canon product is a Canon film single lens reflex camera other than those listed in Clause 16.1, and a Purchase Record Card will be included for any other Canon product.

16.1) If the Product is a Canon EOS 60D / EOS 50D / EOS 40D / EOS 30D / EOS 20D /EOS 700D / EOS 650D / EOS 600D / EOS 550D / EOS 500D / EOS 450D / EOS 400D / EOS 350D / EOS 100D / EOS 1000D / EOS 1100D digital single lens reflex camera, then:
(a) this warranty will only be valid if the Product was purchased in Hong Kong or Macau, in which case the applicable Warranty Period is 2 years from the date of purchase of the Product if the warranty services is sought in Hong Kong or Macau and 1 year from the date of purchase of the Product if the warranty services may be sought in Mainland China*; and
(b) if the Product is located in Mainland China, then the 2-year Supreme Protection Plan (the "Supreme Protection Plan") shall not apply, and this warranty shall be the sole warranty granted by CHK in respect of the Product.

16.4) If the Product is a Canon lens or a Canon digital single lens reflex camera other than those listed in Clause 16.1 or a Canon compact photo printer (only for dye-sublimation base), then this warranty will only be valid if the Product was purchased in Hong Kong or Macau, in which case the applicable Warranty Period is 1 year from the date of purchase of the Product and the warranty services may be sought in Hong Kong, Macau or Mainland China.

Full HK warranty page

Back