Should I be worried about rattling from lens - Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Adg

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Ive never encountered this before, but thought id see what everyones thought are as I have seen quite a lot of conflicting information on this. I have a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC for Nikon mounts. Ive had it a few years and always handled it with care and never dropped it, there's not cosmetic damage to the outside.

I have noticed its developed a plasticky rattle type noise (Maybe a screw??) on the inside but does not appear to be affected by any issues with picture quality or sharpness. Some sources say its a feature of the AF but ive never encountered this until now. If the lens take perfectly good photos still do I risk continuing to use it and live with it or equally do i risk a repair when there is nothing technically wrong with it as such.

Just interested to see what others have done.

Im sure it would! The lens itself wasn't bank breaking amounts. I guess if any damage had been inflicted it would have shown up in picture quality by now?

I guess if any damage had been inflicted it would have shown up in picture quality by now?
That's a fair assumption. (y)

Hi all

Ive never encountered this before, but thought id see what everyones thought are as I have seen quite a lot of conflicting information on this. I have a Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC for Nikon mounts. Ive had it a few years and always handled it with care and never dropped it, there's not cosmetic damage to the outside.

I have noticed its developed a plasticky rattle type noise (Maybe a screw??) on the inside but does not appear to be affected by any issues with picture quality or sharpness. Some sources say its a feature of the AF but ive never encountered this until now. If the lens take perfectly good photos still do I risk continuing to use it and live with it or equally do i risk a repair when there is nothing technically wrong with it as such.

Just interested to see what others have done.

Doesn't sound normal - if it were mine it would bother me to no end until I had it checked out.

If you assume that most parts inside a lens are held in by two screws, and one has dropped out, it's only a matter of time before the second screw also works loose.
This could mean that part of the mechanism comes out of place but even with just one screw loose it could mean one of the glass elements is no longer in the right place to provide accurate focus.
I had fault with an Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 lens several years ago. A small part of the zoom mechanism came loose and the lens stopped working.
I got it looked at by a shop in London and they wanted to charge almost £150 to repair it with new parts. I asked them to re-use the original parts and they dropped the repair price to £90.

I recently had the ribbon flex in my Canon 24-105L repaired by Alan Marlow who was very reasonably priced. You could contact him to get an idea on cost.

But, if as you say it's not affecting images (are you sure they are perfectly sharp and no elements have drifted out?) then you could just live with it for a while longer.

If you NEED the lens (by which I mean you use it to put food on the table), either replace it or get it fixed. I'd guess that a repair might be as expensive as a fresh copy from a reputable dealer.

If you NEED the lens (by which I mean you use it to put food on the table), either replace it or get it fixed. I'd guess that a repair might be as expensive as a fresh copy from a reputable dealer.

No thankfully its just my personal lens - only for hobby use. My work lens is subject to more abuse! Thankfully I don't have to pay for repairs on that!

Reactions: Nod
Contact Sigma. They are very reasonable on repair prices and may not even charge much if it is a loose screw.

I had a dropped lens repaired by them a while ago now and for a new rear barrel, focusing ring and af/mf switch it was just over £120

Last edited:
I have the exact same lens and I also noticed it has a rattle so its possible it may be normal? I think it might actually be the aperture petals as they don't seem to be static when the lens isnt in use. My lens functions as normal so I'm not entirely worried about it...it just seems noisier than my other lenses!

I have the exact same lens and I also noticed it has a rattle so its possible it may be normal? I think it might actually be the aperture petals as they don't seem to be static when the lens isnt in use. My lens functions as normal so I'm not entirely worried about it...it just seems noisier than my other lenses!

That's interesting, has it always done it? Mine slowly developed but admittedly I hadn't used it in a while. I have noticed recently it wants quite as bad as it used to be.

If its any help, I have just received a new 19mm f2.8 for MFT and it rattles like mad till its attached to the camera and then it has no rattles or any sound whatsoever once motor is engaged.

I broke the front element on mine, and sigma charged me £100 to replace it (which I don't think was that bad).

Unless there are image quality issues, I wouldn't worry too much

Back