Should I buy a new lens from eBay or a retail supplier?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I would like to buy a new lens for my Sony NEX-6 camera namely the 35mm f/1.8 OSS. On amazon this lens is currently £363.22 and from UK Digital £339.00.
But, from UK based sellers on eBay it can be got from £259.00 "brand-new, unused, unopened".

I know it;s difficult to generalise, but why shouldn't I buy from eBay. Ok, it may be a 'grey import' but when buying a camera lens does that matter?

Does anyone have advice to offer?

Many thanks.

+1 for DigitalRev
My one and only experience of them was very good, the item did take a few weeks to arrive, but was about a third cheaper than U.K. prices, and no "extra" hidden charges either.

I have used digital rev and one stop digital a few times and highly recommend them. For me is the difference of being affordable (and justifiable for laying out a lot of cash for a bit of glass?) as a total amateur. I did buy a camera first off from eBay but did a lot of research first. I had no problems with it but the amount you save over digitalrev etc I don't think it's worth the gamble anymore. Somethings are too good to be true.

I have used HDEW a couple of times, and contacted them by phone (UK based call centre) with hassle free transactions and returns.

I'm a big fan of grey imports, you get the same gear for a good bit less than a UK spec. As said, stick to reputable sellers and you will be fine

What about Europe?
The pound - euro exchange rate is very favorable at this time, make places like Amazon. de look good.

Watch out for sales on Ebay that state "UK seller, stock from UK" . I bought a lens, it turned up a week later....direct from China with a customs declaration of " £12, Gift"

It's the same with everything brought from eBay, look at the feedback, other items for sale etc. there are some very good sellers with excellent prices.

UK Digital are quite near me & I've been to their premises a couple of times & made purchases. No problems at all. (y)

From their site;

We at UK Digital offer the latest range of digital cameras, camcorders, binoculars, compact system cameras and much more! Trading from the UK we provide UK Stock with full manufacturers warranty, giving complete peace of mind. Furthermore, we now give a 5yr warranty (2 years parts and labour and 3 years parts) with supplied digital cameras, camcorders and lenses. Based in Lancashire you can also visit our showroom for demonstrations or advice

So, UK stock + a lengthy warranty.:cool:

Hi,

Very many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. It was very useful and despite Viewfromthenorth's scary example I will probably buy from DigitalRev.

Thanks again.

Happy hdew customer here - they even buy you a warranty if the manufacturer's doesn't apply on the import item.
My Olympus e-m5 came from them, good service, even offered to exchange my camera when the (UK) delivery company damaged the packaging. Didn't need to as camera was fine, but reassuringly fast, positive email response from them.

Myself and another member have both used Simply Electronics and HDEW. No problems for either us with either company.

Just read that link, to the person who bought a fake Nikon. It says he sent the camera off to Nikon for repair, who then told him it was fake. Would Nikon return a fake camera bearing their name, or would they seize it to be destroyed? As I thought that's what the likes of Nike and Adidas and loads of other would do! Surely they would not let a counterfeit product be in circulation :thinking:

Just read that link, to the person who bought a fake Nikon. It says he sent the camera off to Nikon for repair, who then told him it was fake. Would Nikon return a fake camera bearing their name, or would they seize it to be destroyed? As I thought that's what the likes of Nike and Adidas and loads of other would do! Surely they would not let a counterfeit product be in circulation :thinking:

I just read that I think that it's probably a body that had failed QC and been sold on with a fake serial number rather than destroyed

I have bought most of my lenses second-hand on ebay with hardly any problems. The only one I did have a problem with was the second-hand EF 24-70 f/2.8 which I bought for a bargain price on ebay back when I was still using a 500D. I noticed something wasn't quite right and it was getting worse (but only after it was too late to send back). Turns out it needed a £400 repair - which brought it up to about £100 over the price of buying a good quality second hand copy at the time. Oh well...

The only new lenses I've bought outside of ebay (EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro and EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM) I got from HDEW, mostly on account of their offices being a ten minute walk from where I live! Have always been very happy with HDEW's service.

Yes it would be really worrying if and when then Chinese start faking stuff like cameras and lenses

While not exactly fake, have you seen the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8? I've never heard of a fake Canon lens - but I have heard of people who bought the lens-shaped thermos flasks thinking they were real lenses :)

While not exactly fake, have you seen the Yongnuo 50mm f/1.8? I've never heard of a fake Canon lens - but I have heard of people who bought the lens-shaped thermos flasks thinking they were real lenses :)

I've not seen the Yongnuo but apparently it's quite good :)
I guess the lens shaped thermos flask must be an eBay thing someone not reading the description properly

Back