Should i get rid of my DSLR?

Edit My Images
Yes
Had my Canon 1100D for just under two years now. Got the Kit Lens a 50mm prime and a 55-250 lens. Now I love the image quality it gives especially the prime lens and its great for Aviation stuff compared to my previous bridge camera which sadly broke.
However with the exception of the odd trip to Manchester Airport maybe once a month or every two months to take shots of Aircraft. The Odd picture of my Reptiles. I find it just sits in its bag in my wardrobe.

I took it out once on the MTB and was very aware of the extra weight in my camelback and scared of riding too hard incase I fell and landed on it.

I do like taking photos when I'm out and about on my Mountain Bike/Motorbike but i end up using my Phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) which produces good photos but just not good enough.

Would it be worthwhile for me to sell my DSLR and get a decent compacts or Keep my DSLR for Certain stuff (Aviation) and get a compact.

The best camera is the camera you have on you and nowadays phone cameras are perfectly good enough for most things (especially if you have a modern twin lens jobbie) and you always have it with you.

So personally I would forego the compact and just use the phone.

I've recently faced a similar predicament - my Nikon D90 was sat in its bag for months on end as it was to big/heavy/cumbersome to carry around all the time. A recent holiday finally sealed it for me, the D90 remained in the room most of the time, especially when out in an evening because of the reasons above and any "snapshots" were either on my phone or waterproof compact.

I've just sold it and moved over to M43 and (one I got over the 'it's not a DSLR' thing) I've not regretted it - it comes with me a lot, plus I can get all the kit, lenses etc in a tiny bag that weighs next to nothing. It might not be the right move for everyone but it seems to be for me.

What Chappers said, liked the quality of my Pentax Kx a few years back but never took it anywhere.
Started with a basic mu43 camera 2 years ago and haven't looked back, now have a dozen or so tiny lenses and take it with me for any events I go to...day to day stuff I just use the phone camera and cry at the image quality and rubbish, slow, frustrating controls.

I agree the M4/3 system I such better for taking on hols etc which is why I have mine, but for me they're still too bulky to carry on a bike. I wouldn't fancy falling off and landing on one. I'd recommend keeping your DSLR for the times you've mentioned, and get a RX100 or G7x for the bikes.

A mirrorless camera does not have the bulk of a dslr so is more likely to be carried on a day to day basis and is far more satisfying than using a phone in terms of ergonomics and the ability to control aperture, shutter speed and manually focus if you wish.

A phone is very fiddly to use in terms of changing settings and there is huge shutter lag compared with a mirrorless camera where shutter lag is almost non existent.

I'd grab a decent compact like the RX100 or LX100, a mirrorless won't actually be much less bulky than a small DSLR unless you get one of the pancake lenses and you'd get better quality and more flexibility from a decent compact instead. The mark 1 RX100 can be picked up pretty cheap now and is a very capable camera of the size/price if you can live without the viewfinder that the mark 3 added.

I agree the M4/3 system I such better for taking on hols etc which is why I have mine, but for me they're still too bulky to carry on a bike. I wouldn't fancy falling off and landing on one. I'd recommend keeping your DSLR for the times you've mentioned, and get a RX100 or G7x for the bikes.

Didn't really want to spend a huge amount. Looked at the Canon S120 at £186 as I only paid £247 for my Canon 1100d. Since posting I've got out and started using my DSLR more. On the motorbike it's fine it sits in a bag on my tank. Mtb ill probably use a Canon S120 if I decide to get one.

Didn't really want to spend a huge amount. Looked at the Canon S120 at £186 as I only paid £247 for my Canon 1100d. Since posting I've got out and started using my DSLR more. On the motorbike it's fine it sits in a bag on my tank. Mtb ill probably use a Canon S120 if I decide to get one.
The Sony RX100 isn't that much more than the Canon s120 (£270 from amazon, but can be had for £220 from Sony outlet or around £200 used) and has a much larger sensor and gives excellent IQ

Can't disagree with it being big to fall on - I now have "Olympus" embedded in my hip from falling on the e-m5 while skiing! I was thinking more about general holiday/event use.
A little panasonic GM camera and pancake is pocketable but you'd get more flexibility from an RX100...I must not buy another camera...I must not buy another camera!

The Sony RX100 isn't that much more than the Canon s120 (£270 from amazon, but can be had for £220 from Sony outlet or around £200 used) and has a much larger sensor and gives excellent IQ
£240 new after cashback.

I thought about this before. Then someone said something which I found to be very wise and helpful. 'How much money will you get for the things you want to sell? Do you NEED that money for something else? Is it taking up too much room in your house?' If you're like me, the answers will probably be - Not much, no, and no. Because I can guarantee that if you get rid of your DLSR you will soon come to a point where you wish you hadn't.

As above, keep the DSLR and buy a compact to compliment it. You'd regret selling the DSLR!

I thought about this before. Then someone said something which I found to be very wise and helpful. 'How much money will you get for the things you want to sell? Do you NEED that money for something else? Is it taking up too much room in your house?' If you're like me, the answers will probably be - Not much, no, and no. Because I can guarantee that if you get rid of your DLSR you will soon come to a point where you wish you hadn't.

YMMV of course and for some that might be true but I'd only go back to a DSLR with a gun to my head.

These days smaller systems offer very good image quality and arguably the advantages DSLR's offer are becoming fewer by the minute. I had SLR's for decades and then bought into DSLR's but I was never happy with the increase in bulk and weight over a 35mm film system and when MFT came along I bought into it but kept my big fat 5D and big fat lenses for the occasions when I wanted better quality than MFT could offer. At the time my MFT cameras were a GF1 and then G1 and they did lack the ultimate quality that the 5D could supply but these days the latest MFT kit has closed the gap and possibly even exceeds what my old 5D could do and my Sony A7 definitely exceeds the image quality that my Canon kit offered.

I was lucky as when I sold off my unused Canon gear I got good prices and I actually sold a couple of lenses for more than I'd paid as prices had risen but even if I'd got peanuts for the DSLR kit I'd still have sold it as I just wasn't using it. I could have stuck it in a cupboard but what use is unused kit just sitting and degrading? I mothballed a couple of old laptops and didn't touch them for years and when I got them out neither of them worked... had I sold them when they were worth something I could have at least had a couple of tank fulls of petrol but instead now I have to use fuel to take them to the dump.

My advice to the op is that if you're not using the kit for reasons of bulk and weight by all means keep it while you are seeing if you can live with something smaller but after a while if you're not using the DSLR, sell it. The alternative may be getting it out just to play with now and again and finding it slowly becoming even more outdated and unused until you get it out one day and it doesn't work. IMHO it's better to either sell it (even if you don't need the money...) or even just give it away to someone who will use it.

Im in the process of selling off the bulky gear as i don,t use it as much and its too damn big and heavy to take on just small social outings with the family and friends. I have waited till mirrorless CSC cameras have started to excel in their own rights.

These days smaller systems offer very good image quality and arguably the advantages DSLR's offer are becoming fewer by the minute. .
Agreed, especially the new Sony A7R-II (if you forget Sony's pants FE lens line up for a minute). This camera is nearly there.

The reason that I run two systems (nikon d750 and Olly EM5-ii) is that CSC's still can't match the AF, particularly low light and AF-C. Until they do I have to stick with DSLR. On the AF front, Sony are getting close with the A6000. Also, I'm yet to find a native CSC lens that can match the IQ of my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII (in a similar FL), which is a lens I use a lot. I also need a 600mm eq lens ideally, and the Olly 75-300mm and Panny 100-300mm don't cut it unfortunately, although I believe Panny/Leica have something on the horizon.

But as mirrorless continue to improve, and their lens systems get bigger I can see a day where they will surpass DSLR. As you say, the benefits of DSLR are getting less and less.

Agreed, especially the new Sony A7R-II (if you forget Sony's pants FE lens line up for a minute). This camera is nearly there.

The reason that I run two systems (nikon d750 and Olly EM5-ii) is that CSC's still can't match the AF, particularly low light and AF-C. Until they do I have to stick with DSLR. On the AF front, Sony are getting close with the A6000. Also, I'm yet to find a native CSC lens that can match the IQ of my 70-200mm f2.8 VRII (in a similar FL), which is a lens I use a lot. I also need a 600mm eq lens ideally, and the Olly 75-300mm and Panny 100-300mm don't cut it unfortunately, although I believe Panny/Leica have something on the horizon.

But as mirrorless continue to improve, and their lens systems get bigger I can see a day where they will surpass DSLR. As you say, the benefits of DSLR are getting less and less.

This is the camp sit in too. I love my little Olympus OMD EM5 and the fantastic, tiny prime lenses available for it but it just doesn't cut it for moving AF. I know there are people who have great success using the AF systems on CSC's for moving targets but they must be much better than me. On a DSLR, it is is just so easy.

I really do hope that CSC's bridge the gap on that front because I'm pretty much sold on every other aspect. Oh except for the OMD's menu system. Somebody needs shooting for that!

Some controversial stuff there :D

The Sony A7 lens range is limited if you compare the numbers available to Canon and Nikon and that's to be expected as it's such a new system but some of the lenses that do exist are amongst the best mass market AF lenses available. Some of the test results are truely outstanding.

I'd also question CSC low light focusing. Some cameras will obviously be worse than others but my GX7 for example will focus in almost total darkness and way beyond the point at which even anything like accurate manual focus will no longer be possible with a DSLR.

However, the OP, and please forgive me for saying this OP... doesn't have a top end DSLR or lenses and I'd be mildly surprised if it isn't possible to put together a smaller format system with the same or perhaps better capabilities and offering the same or even better quality images. Cost is another question.

This is the camp sit in too. I love my little Olympus OMD EM5 and the fantastic, tiny prime lenses available for it but it just doesn't cut it for moving AF. I know there are people who have great success using the AF systems on CSC's for moving targets but they must be much better than me. On a DSLR, it is is just so easy.

I really do hope that CSC's bridge the gap on that front because I'm pretty much sold on every other aspect. Oh except for the OMD's menu system. Somebody needs shooting for that!
It's not you, CSC's just can't AF-C as well. Yes you can get success, as I have with mine, but hit rate is much lower.

Some controversial stuff there :D

The Sony A7 lens range is limited if you compare the numbers available to Canon and Nikon and that's to be expected as it's such a new system but some of the lenses that do exist are amongst the best mass market AF lenses available. Some of the test results are truely outstanding.

I'd also question CSC low light focusing. Some cameras will obviously be worse than others but my GX7 for example will focus in almost total darkness and way beyond the point at which even anything like accurate manual focus will no longer be possible with a DSLR.

However, the OP, and please forgive me for saying this OP... doesn't have a top end DSLR or lenses and I'd be mildly surprised if it isn't possible to put together a smaller format system with the same or perhaps better capabilities and offering the same or even better quality images. Cost is another question.
I never questioned the quality of the Sony lenses :p I'd be very surprised if the GX7 can match DSLR's like the D750 for low light AF, but am happy to be proven wrong ;) I've used the GX7, and whilst it's a very capable camera the AF is a far cry from high end DSLRs in terms of AF-C.

Edit, just seen that the GX7 allegedly can focus down to -4ev, very impressive. I'd have to compare it side by side with my D750 to see if it was as fast or accurate though.

Last edited:
Personally I would keep it, selling that lot for a CSC, you would probably still need a bag full of lenses to get the same range and quality. It's also not likely to be that much smaller and lighter and would probably cost a small fortune, As your worried about weight and bulk and the possibility of getting your gear damaged it seems to me that a good quality compact is the best option for when you don't want to get the DSLR out.

Had my Canon 1100D for just under two years now. Got the Kit Lens a 50mm prime and a 55-250 lens. Now I love the image quality it gives especially the prime lens and its great for Aviation stuff compared to my previous bridge camera which sadly broke.
However with the exception of the odd trip to Manchester Airport maybe once a month or every two months to take shots of Aircraft. The Odd picture of my Reptiles. I find it just sits in its bag in my wardrobe.

I took it out once on the MTB and was very aware of the extra weight in my camelback and scared of riding too hard incase I fell and landed on it.

I do like taking photos when I'm out and about on my Mountain Bike/Motorbike but i end up using my Phone (Samsung Galaxy S6) which produces good photos but just not good enough.

Would it be worthwhile for me to sell my DSLR and get a decent compacts or Keep my DSLR for Certain stuff (Aviation) and get a compact.

Honestly with that camera/lens combination your not going to be looking at a great deal of money selling it off, I would keep the DSLR for the plane shooting where not compact will come close to equally it and either use your phone or save up for a big and buy something else smaller.

I bought a load of Fuji gear last year thinking it would be good as a general camera-setup and a backup for wedding photography. I lasted about 6 months before I sold it all and went back to DSLR - found the cameras a tad to slow to react and wasn't all that impressed with the quality of the RAW files - my Canon 1DsIII's take some beating.

Went for a ride (Mtb) with my DSLR and a cheap compact I have a Panasonic Lumix xs3. And to be honest with it wrapped up in a coat I hardly felt it on my back. Took some snapshots with both and even on a entry level dslr it was head and shoulders above the compact and my phone.

So I will be keeping my Canon. A lot of people have said I'll regret selling it.

I would like to upgrade from my 1100d though.

Last edited:
the Canon 1100D is very small, so I doubt even M43 would get used more in your case. I think you'd be better of keeping your kit for the times you want the quality and maybe look at a compact that you can bring with you daily. Tbf there are lots of pretty good compacts available.

The best 'holiday' camera I've had is the Panasonic fz200. 24mm-600mm Leica lens. Brilliant, but still wouldn't sell my SLR.

I'm told that the EM1's tracking is much better than my EM5's. (Though I'll be upgrading to the A7RII instead)

I'm told that the EM1's tracking is much better than my EM5's. (Though I'll be upgrading to the A7RII instead)
A7RII's still getting mixed reviews so will be interested to know what you think when you get it? Is it imminent or are you waiting for the price to drop first?

The EM1's tracking is better, but I'm not sure if it's "much" better. I guess that all comes down to opinion. Also, apparently Olly are still keeping it a secret for some reason if and how PDAF works with tracking. They're quite open about the PDAF with legacy lenses, but very coy about the use with AF-C and tracking, very bizarre.

A7RII's still getting mixed reviews so will be interested to know what you think when you get it? Is it imminent or are you waiting for the price to drop first?

The EM1's tracking is better, but I'm not sure if it's "much" better. I guess that all comes down to opinion. Also, apparently Olly are still keeping it a secret for some reason if and how PDAF works with tracking. They're quite open about the PDAF with legacy lenses, but very coy about the use with AF-C and tracking, very bizarre.

I'd imagine the EM1 is better because AF tracking does seem to be improving gradually with each generation of CSC across the board. That's partly why I remain hopeful that they are getting there. I haven't used all of them of course (would love to try an A7RII) but of the CSC's I have tried, I haven't used one yet that even comes close to a basic DSLR let alone a top end body when it comes to following movement. It's no big deal for me at present as I use both systems but it would be nice to ultimately be able to ditch the DSLR. I'm certain that day will come.

Waiting for a price drop.. do you have a link to any of the mixed reviews?

As I understand it - and I could be wrong, here - the EM1 uses PDAF for tracking when it can, but the design of the focus motors in some m4/3 lenses means they don't behave nicely with PDAF focusing; it's something to do with how the algorithm hunts around the final focus position. So some lenses benefit from PDAF and some don't, thus Olympus keep quiet.

This 'understanding' - I'd hate to call it fact - was reached after a slightly inebriated conversation with someone who understands focusing technologies and the way Olympus works as a business.

Just bought a 24mm stm pancake. It now fits snug in my camelbak and is a lot lighter. Very happy with it now. Need to give myself a slap next time I ever think about selling my gear.

I'd imagine the EM1 is better because AF tracking does seem to be improving gradually with each generation of CSC across the board. .
Well from what I can gather the EM1 is still better than the EM10 and EM5-II which are both later models so it appears that trend doesn't fit with Olly ;) I'm sure the EM1-II will be better though.

Reactions: jpw
Waiting for a price drop.. do you have a link to any of the mixed reviews?

There's a thread on AVF with different reviews and opinions. Some of seems to be around low light AF, although I think this in most part is with 3rd party lenses. Also DR is still behind the leading cameras, and IQ in long exposures is apparently relatively poor, and worse even than the 5DRs in terms of DR. Also, they're still using 11 bit RAW files. I guess this is all classic of the current nit picking that we do as, lets be honest, cameras today are pretty amazing. But I think the problem is the price tag that Sony put on, they need to be extra extra special ;)

Just bought a 24mm stm pancake. It now fits snug in my camelbak and is a lot lighter. Very happy with it now. Need to give myself a slap next time I ever think about selling my gear.

Good move, the new STM pancake lenses are excellent value and quality.
If you should find it a bit wide {I doubt it), the 40mmSTM is also very good and a similar size.
Dont think you will be disappointed though, I find the EFM 22mm on my EOS M has become a permanent fixture;)

There's a thread on AVF with different reviews and opinions. Some of seems to be around low light AF, although I think this in most part is with 3rd party lenses. Also DR is still behind the leading cameras, and IQ in long exposures is apparently relatively poor, and worse even than the 5DRs in terms of DR. Also, they're still using 11 bit RAW files. I guess this is all classic of the current nit picking that we do as, lets be honest, cameras today are pretty amazing. But I think the problem is the price tag that Sony put on, they need to be extra extra special ;)

DR still behind? That's a surprise. The compressed (nearly) raw doesn't worry me much; the quality of the raws I've seen from the old A7R is perfectly good, and I rarely do long exposures.

DR still behind? That's a surprise. The compressed (nearly) raw doesn't worry me much; the quality of the raws I've seen from the old A7R is perfectly good, and I rarely do long exposures.
Done a bit more digging around, it appears it's only 0.1ev better than the A7r, but tbh lets face it that's not exactly poor is it? I think it's the price, you'd expect it to be class leading but it's still extremely good and better than every Canon offering I believe. Apparently the reason that DR falls away (and less than the Canon 5DRs) in long exposure is due to the heat caused by the BSI and IBIS. Does beg the question why you'd have IBIS on for long exposure though :confused: Obviously you'd turn this off which should help improve DR if that report is credible and it's the heat that's causing reduced DR in long exposure.

Just typing this makes me realise just how 'anal' we're getting with cameras nowadays :rolleyes:;)

Does beg the question why you'd have IBIS on for long exposure though Obviously you'd turn this off...
Sorry for the bump, just catching up on my missed threads...if IBIS is causing heat soak, turning it "off" wont help. All the electromagnets have to stay on, just holding the sensor in a fixed position rather than compensating for motion. My old Pentax Kx used to let the sensor rattle about when the camera was off - very disturbing!

Sorry for the bump, just catching up on my missed threads...if IBIS is causing heat soak, turning it "off" wont help. All the electromagnets have to stay on, just holding the sensor in a fixed position rather than compensating for motion. My old Pentax Kx used to let the sensor rattle about when the camera was off - very disturbing!
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure my Olly doesn't work that way as you can hear when IBIS is working.

Reading the reports and reviews etc posted on AVF the A7Rii is looking disappointing in a number of areas.

Last edited:
Back