Should I keep my 450d or 40d?

Name
Raz
Edit My Images
No
Hello, I'm struggling to make a decision on which camera to keep. Tomorrow I'll be getting a Canon 40d and Canon 17-55mm lens as the seller is selling for a really good price and does not want to split (I was mostly interested in the lens). I currently have a gripped 450d which I am pleased with, and can't afford to keep 2 bodies so have to sell off one of them.

I hadn't planned (nor needed) to get a new body but price was really good for the kit, so I would like to know your opinions on which camera I should sell off :)

Personally I think there is no contest...I would sell the 450D, the 40D will last you longer in terms of your own development and the features and capabilities it has. Don't get me wrong, the 450D is a lovely camera, the 40D is just better! Well that's my opinion anyway :)

I take it you've read the reviews of both bodies? You won't need to do much thinking once you've had a good play with the 40D!

Keep The 40D. I went from the 450D to the 40D and did not regret it.

Wow, quick replies haha. I know this shouldn't be too hard a decision, but I have done some research any many people advise to buy the 450d and use the savings to buy the lens, as IQ is very similar. However in my case I would be owning both bodies tomorrow and need to know which to get rid of. Selling the 40d would probably get me around £50 more than my 450d with accessories, so I was just wondering if it's worth the £50 upgrade for the additional features, considering that mostly people claim IQ differences are very minor.

Judging from all the comments above it would seem so :D

Also for those who have owned both, do you prefer the feel of a 450d + grip, or an ungripped 40d? I know I would find out for myself soon, but just curious for now (and I start research for a 40d grip in the meantime).

Another question, is there significant improvement on the 40d for higher ISOs? Especially 800 and 1600, as I know the 450d doesn't have 3200.

Have you held a 40D? I'd been thinking about apgrading since I got a 70-200 f/2.8, it just didn't really feel quite right on a small body. The I held a 50D, and it was so nice in the hand that a week or 2 later I'd bought one. It's heavier, but so much better balanced with big lenses/a flash, so it feels lighter and easier to use.

Play with both, see how they feel! (Then sell the 450D :D)

When you get the 40D and have a play you will see the difference the only prob will be memory as the 450D is sd cards and the 40D is compact flash

Back