should I sell my 100-400

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
could anyone give me any advice on what to do.I am thinking of selling my canon 100-400 and getting the 400f5.6 prime instead.I already have the 300f2.8 which I love but for a walkabout bird lens I find it heavy for me after a while.I have now found after owning a prime lens how much sharper they are so am thinking of the 400f5.6 instead for my walkabout lens as I mainly do bird photography.Am just undecided what to do any advice please:)

Cant answer with a firm yes or no but when you use the 100-400 do you always use it at 400? or do you use more of the zoom range?

Interestingly, I've just gone the other way. I've just sold a 300/2.8 and a 400/5.6 for the convenience of the zoom. I've been reasonably impressed with the 100-400. It's not prime sharp but stopped down a touch and below 350mm, it seems pretty good to me.

My main lens is a 500 and I sold the others to get a kit that would all fit in one bag.

The 400/5.6 is without doubt sharper and faster focusing. If you are always at full reach, get the prime.

I think if you do decide to sell, it will be snapped up (y)

They seemed to be breading at Oulton Park on Monday :LOL:

I'd love one as they seem to get excellent reviews, but just can't afford one at moment:shake:

could anyone give me any advice on what to do.I am thinking of selling my canon 100-400 and getting the 400f5.6 prime instead.I already have the 300f2.8 which I love but for a walkabout bird lens I find it heavy for me after a while.I have now found after owning a prime lens how much sharper they are so am thinking of the 400f5.6 instead for my walkabout lens as I mainly do bird photography.Am just undecided what to do any advice please:)

If you don't need the versitility of the zoom, the 400mm f5.6 is a great lens, especially for birds and as mentioned sharper focusing than the 100-400mm, weight wise there's not much difference in the 2 lenses, but definitely more of a walkaround lens than the 300mm, have you thought about the 300mm f4 and a 1.4x TC as another alternative?

Sell the 300 2.8 :D

Karen I thought you had an assistant, sorry husband to carry your kit for you :D.

I know what you mean, sometimes I will leave the big glass and tripod at home, and just take the 300mm f4 prime for the same reasons you state.

You should sell the 100-400 easily enough, and the 400 f5.6 is a cracking lens.

keeps eye on the for sale section...............

:LOL::D:puke::wacky:

I miss mine.:crying::eek:

Back