Should i switch from 40d to 550d?

Name
David Campbell
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at the spec on the canon 550d, it seems a lot of camera for the money. I have read in several respected reviews that the image quality is essentialy the same as the 60D and 7D as they use the same technology.
Add to that the HD movie mode I am tempted to switch.

I know the xxxD range is lower than the xxD range, so should I pay the extra for a 60D? I have a Canon 17 - 55 2.8IS lens.

Confused.
Dave

I like smaller cameras and I'm pretty sure that the IQ is the same but one thing that puts me off Canons xxxx/xxx line is the max shutter speed of 1/4000 v the 1/8000 of the 60D and 7D as I like my fast lenses and use them outside and hit the max speed now and again.

Could you expand on this please?

Sure, basically I think you will struggle in many ways going to a 550D

The viewfinder is inferior
It is slower
Smaller form factor
Alot harder to use compared to the x0D series, e.g. The joystick focusing.

I would consider the 60D if you need the video because it will add the following over the 550D

Pentaprism view finder
Articulating Screen
Faster
Wireless flash triggering
Similar form factor to your 40D

If you can afford the 60D then go for it. If not then the 550D is a great camera and I would not hesitate to upgrade from a 40D IF you do not nee the extra FPS. Regarding the size just get a grip for the 550D.

Oooh that's a hard choice. The 40D is a wonderful camera but too heavy (with lens) for me. The 550 i had was faulty which didn't help but is still a technically great camera. The 40D renders nicer images in my opinion.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing new and exciting in 550D apart from somewhat crippled movie mode (no manual controls). What is wrong with 40D anyway? Do you need more MP? If you really print A2 and A1 all the time, do you have the lenses that can resolve 18MP APS-C? Hint, they usually have an L somewhere in the name. Problems with AF? 550D will be far worse, 60D will be just as bad. Only 7D and 1D will perform much better.

im pretty thick and indesisive (no comments please!) but even i know this is dumb

go hit yourself and archive this thread

im pretty thick and indesisive (no comments please!) but even i know this is dumb

go hit yourself and archive this thread

It was a perfectly reasonable question and your response is not the sort we welcome on here.

Thank you.

It was a perfectly reasonable question and your response is not the sort we welcome on here.

Thank you.

obvioulsy colin you did not read that with the humour and wit in which it was intended

Whilst your first sentence was in a sense funny, your second one could easily be misconstrude and gave nothing to the thread.

it was intended with the humour of the first senctance - perhaps i should of added "wet fish" to the go hit yourself

apologies for the odd sense of humour

I'd say it would be like going from a BMW 525 to a 330 perhaps. erm well not sure what I mean there but I'd just keep the 40D and aim for a 60D, 7D or 5D mk2 next. I'm glad I left the xxxD range behind now - I'm sure the 550 is good but its still in the consumer range to me, the xxD sits more in the 'know it all amature' range :)

I swapped my 50D for the 550D, no regrets at all!

Its a great little camera, very responsive and lighter too, which is great when you spend a whole day with the camera hanging around your neck. I'd be tempted with a 60D for the swivel screen and built in flash control but it all depends if you need those features.

Interesting, I kind of knew it wasn't a good move but the spec was very tempting and obviously for some people it worked out ok.

I was surprised to hear the 60D 'will be just as bad' What does that say about Canon if two generations (40D -50D - 60D) don't make an upgrade worthwhile?

I don't need to print A1 all the time to benefit from a higher MP rating, I get more framing/cropping options which is definitely a benefit.

I have a Canon 17 - 55 2.8 IS and a canon 85mm 1.8 prime so I think I will be able to resolve the extra MP's?

I will consider everything and thanks to all who commented,
dave

Something to consider is weight! Walking about all day with a 40D and 24-105 L lens and I'm ready to throw it in the bin! My 500D and Tamron 17-50 is SO much nicer to use for me. Saying that if i find that too much I'll be swapping it out for a Carl Zeiss lens for my Micro 4/3 camera! :D

Try carrying around a 100-400 for a day. Suddenly a 24-105 will feel lightweight.

I don't even notice the weight of my 40D when I've got a 50mm on it.

Interesting, I kind of knew it wasn't a good move but the spec was very tempting and obviously for some people it worked out ok.

I was surprised to hear the 60D 'will be just as bad' What does that say about Canon if two generations (40D -50D - 60D) don't make an upgrade worthwhile?

I will consider everything and thanks to all who commented,
dave

Hi Dave

Not sure it's a bad move, but I wouldn't go from my 40D to the 550D. Partly because I'm happy with the 40D and I would ask myself what is it you'd like it to do, your current 40D can't (I have done thise exact thing as I'm toying with the idea of a 7D or 5D mkII upgrade and I still haven't really convinced myself either way :bonk:)

My other main reason for not going down that route, would be size of body, the 550D is a plastic body and smaller in size, I do like the size and weight of my 40D.

I think the other thing to note, the 60D isn't a true upgrade from the 40 / 50D (I'm sure others will probably disagree), the 7D is more like the true upgrade.

Hope this helps, but I'm not sure it does .....

There is absolutely nothing new and exciting in 550D apart from somewhat crippled movie mode (no manual controls).

Hi, the 550D has full manual movie control and takes fantastic quality HD video considering its price. The only thing it DOESN'T have is the option to disable auto gain control on the audio, a feature I believe Canon has excluded in order to keep the 5Dmk2 competitive, although any serious film maker using a HDSLR would not use the onboard microphone or stereo mic jack anyway. :)

I did go from the 40D to 550D but still kept the 40D:)
I wanted a second body but could not afford a 7D which would be the logical upgrade, 60D and 550D have not got the joystick which is so handy for swapping focus points
The 550D is an excellent camera and love mine it has superb IQ slightly better than the 40D esp when I have to up the ISO
the 550D white balance metering is better the white balance is more often correct with autowhite balance
I shoot Raw only though
Pete

The 550D has much better high ISO capability and a gorgeous screen, but won't be as usable as a 40D (no 2nd dial for example). I have a 60D which is a fantastic upgrade from the 40D...nice big viewfinder, 2nd dial, again great high ISO and beautiful screen.

The only downside is that the body is not magnesium alloy...BUT...I find it nicer to hold and easier on my neck! And it's still very well built.

What are you hoping to get from a body upgrade?
I'd at least consider a lens or two instead..

Have used the 40D and 60D a lot and IMHO unless you crop a lot there is no point in swopping between these cams (ok, the 60D has a better screen, is smaller plus some bells and whistles) so I doubt a move to a 550 would be a good idea. If I were you I'd definitely invest in some more glass.

Back