Should I take A-Level photography?

planetjamez

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
So its time for me to take my A-Level options and photography is one i'm not certain of. We have to enter a 20-30 photo portfolio to try and get 1 of 30 options. I've looked through some of last years work and its very portrait heavy, something i've never done before. Apparently they've had A* wildlife and landscape photographers go through. They also study other photographers and use their style which im not sure about! Any thoughts?

I would choice it if you like Photography, I know a fair amount of friends that have took it and it must be said its not easy. There is alot of work Involved but if you enjoy Photography I would pic it (y) Iam nearly at that stage myself on 5 months left...But I will be looking to go and do a Diploma myself in Photography (y)

It's an A level it's not meant to be easy, and I'm sure they do not expect a full portfolio from you before they have taught you. Making money from photography is (I believe) is more difficult than ever so if ths what you want to do any qualification is going to help

Hi,

I did AS & A2 level photography at 6th form. It's a lot more work that I though and one of the critical points I think is that a lot of the actual work has to be done in your own time, ie going out an getting the photos. There is a lot of writing involved and as you mention you have to research other photographers and show that you have taken inspiration from their work. You can do this through either going out and taking a fresh set of photos and drawing links or editing them in photoshop.

I was lucky in the fact that in my A2 level I was allowed to pick my own subject area and I chose movement which was something that I had a lot of photos that I could already use.

It's hard work but good fun and rewarding if you get it right.

One of the things I would say is that if your written coursework is not that strong then ensure your portfolio images are top notch and the presentation of your final piece(s) is good. This will get the moderators favourable before they start reading! For example I had a 1.6m print of this sandwhiched in two sheets of acrylic as my final exam piece at A2 level. I got a B & A* respectively.

My Final Exam Pieces.
by Harry Measures, on Flickr

Want any more help/advice feel free to PM me.

Harry.

Harry, first of all, lovely piece there! and Ive done art at GCSE and struggled with the coursework, partly due to my now lack of artistic talent which I seem to have lost1

I struggled with the coursework initially, especially in the first year as I have not a jot of interest in photographing people or buildings. Which is what I was writing about... In my second year because I could include aviation, motorsport and use photographers/artist from this area it became much easier and more fun to write about. I'll try and get my coursework back from my school as it had some fantastic pieces in it.

It becomes especially heavy at A2 level as you have to do a report on a subject of your choice. Pick something easy. Not something like "How involving the subject with the audience in the photo can have a profound effect on the overall image to the viewer'. I mean, what sort of idiot would write about that....

It becomes especially heavy at A2 level as you have to do a report on a subject of your choice. Pick something easy. Not something like "How involving the subject with the audience in the photo can have a profound effect on the overall image to the viewer'. I mean, what sort of idiot would write about that....

As it stands at the moment I will drop it after AS

It could help, it all depends on where you want to go with your photography?
I never took it, and I taught myself everything I know. I always felt that there was too much time spent on other things and in the long run it wouldn't help me, especially wanting to be a landscape photographer.
I know someone who is in their second year of photography at uni, and can't take a portrait shot in focus.

I never took it, and I taught myself everything I know. I always felt that there was too much time spent on other things and in the long run it wouldn't help me, especially wanting to be a landscape photographer.
I know someone who is in their second year of photography at uni, and can't take a portrait shot in focus.

Can't or doesn't want to?

Personally I value the academic side of photography and art very highly. I often find that people who claim that the academics are worthless are actually not very developed photographers. They tend to reach a certain point in their capabilities and never really go beyond that because they don't have the deeper understanding about what they're looking at. A pure tech education is fine if you only ever want to make pretty pictures but rarely enough if you want to go deeper with your work.

I just want it as a hobby but would like a subject I enjoy

For this reason I don't think it's a good choice, you ideally need to be considering future careers and taking relevant qualifications.. things are tough out there and the more relevant your qualifications are the better chance you have of finding a career path

Simon

A pure tech education is fine if you only ever want to make pretty pictures but rarely enough if you want to go deeper with your work.

The same can be said for anything artistic, there are plenty of technical musicians who can't groove and plenty of others who have stacks of feel but lack the technique to get across what they have in their heads. Being just artistic or technical will only get you so far, if you have both and are wiling to put the time in then you can pretty much go anywhere you want to.

We need some perspective here. Whenever photo education rears its head in these forums, you always hear this. "I know someone on a BA course who can't even get their images sharp" or something like that. Well.. that's probably because they're lazy, or crap, or both. I have students like that. They don't listen.. more interested in arsing around with their phone in lectures... don't actually shoot anything until the last minute when they have 8 weeks to complete a brief (good students will be shooting all the time, bringing their stuff to crit sessions and developing it over 8 weeks), never, ever practice what we teach in the digital Imaging (photoshop and lightroom sessions)... never listen or pay attention in critical studies (art history, contextual, critical thinking... the bit that teaches creativity).... as a result of this general lethargy... they're crap photographers. That's their problem; Their money; their education... I'll be damned if I'm going to compromise the education of the engaged, enthusiastic students by chasing them. They'll bump along the bottom and graduate with a third. Up to them really.

A good photographer has the technical stuff down to such an extent they don't need to think about it, and they certainly don't obsess about it like most in here.... then they balance that against the creativity nurtured by a degree course. You need both ideally.

Any way.... getting back on topic. The OP is is just selecting A levels :)... let's not get ahead of ourselves shall we.

My advice regarding photo education (of which I know a thing or two) is this:

If photography is just a hobby and you want a fun A level to take... then fine... A levels are ideal. If you're seriously considering photography as a possible career choice, then leave it alone until you have your A levels in the main academic subjects, then go do a BTEC Diploma so you can dedicate the time to it without study for other subjects getting in the way, then you'll have a good folio and understanding to allow you to do well on a degree course later. It's an extra 2 years in education, but you don't pay for FE education... it's free... so don't worry about it. 2 years is nothing, and my experience tells me that those that go straight to Uni after A levels do NOT do as well as those that come when they're 19 or 20. You do a LOT of growing up in those 2 years.

I didn't go to Uni until I was 28... don't worry about it.

So its time for me to take my A-Level options and photography is one i'm not certain of. We have to enter a 20-30 photo portfolio to try and get 1 of 30 options. I've looked through some of last years work and its very portrait heavy, something i've never done before. Apparently they've had A* wildlife and landscape photographers go through. They also study other photographers and use their style which im not sure about! Any thoughts?

Bottom line - why are you taking it ? - A levels are possibly the most important decision you'll make in academic life as they'll determine degree, and that to an etent will determine career. If you want to be a career photographer , don't take it - you don't need it (instead get some decent quals to back up in case you need to do something else to support you in the early days) , and if you don't , don't take it - A levels are too valuable to throw away on something that might be fun - get the ones you need, and keep taking pictures as a hobby outside your academic life.

The only circs where I would say take it , are if you just want to do an A level for fun because your career qualifications are already sown up ( I've thought about it myself - but I already have a masters degree in my chosen career field)

Edit - or what David said ( I didn't read down before answering)

Can't or doesn't want to?

Personally I value the academic side of photography and art very highly. I often find that people who claim that the academics are worthless are actually not very developed photographers. They tend to reach a certain point in their capabilities and never really go beyond that because they don't have the deeper understanding about what they're looking at. A pure tech education is fine if you only ever want to make pretty pictures but rarely enough if you want to go deeper with your work.

Their not worthless,but their are a lot of great photographer past & present who never did any academic work :)

I'd say worthless in prosaic terms of getting a job or getting clients - developing your inner mojo to a deeper artistic plane is all well and good , but it doesnt pay the bills. Somone who wants to be a working photographer is best off doing qualifications which will help them get other employment - because they'll need it while they develop their business (and/or have something to fall back on if the business doesnt take off)

I'd say worthless in prosaic terms of getting a job or getting clients - developing your inner mojo to a deeper artistic plane is all well and good , but it doesnt pay the bills. Somone who wants to be a working photographer is best off doing qualifications which will help them get other employment - because they'll need it while they develop their business (and/or have something to fall back on if the business doesnt take off)

Depends on much on the area that you want to work in though. Where I used to work having a degree/similar in photography got you a foot in the door as an assistant. It was portfolio that got you the photographer job, but that was something else people developed while studying commercial photography. (Falmouth, Bournemouth etc).

Depends on much on the area that you want to work in though. Where I used to work having a degree/similar in photography got you a foot in the door as an assistant.

do those jobs still exist though (and more pertinently will they in 5 years time) more and more stuff gets outsourced, and freelancers just have to be able to take pictures - and there are easier and cheaper ways to learn to do that than fulltime education

do those jobs still exist though (and more pertinently will they in 5 years time) more and more stuff gets outsourced, and freelancers just have to be able to take pictures - and there are easier and cheaper ways to learn to do that than fulltime education

The company I was working for was expanding. The more digital everything goes, the more clients they will have. It will be even bigger in five years time and there are about a dozen large companies in London alone that work in the sector.

Which is precisely why you have to nail down and research exactly what you want to do with your photography. Sure, it's harder to be a social photographer, but other areas are opening up.

The most creative, original and freshest work will always be sought after. No change there.

Yes, there are still assisting jobs BTW.

The most creative, original and freshest work will always be sought after. No change there.

but is someone become more likely to become more creative, original and fresh by doing an A level in photography, or by getting out and taking a stonking portfolio ?

and also of relevance to the OP who is teaching this A level - is it a decent photographer, or is it the history teacher who's got lumbered with it because he happens to own a DSLR (not as unlikely as it sounds, at my school CDT was taught by the religious studies teacher, and German was done by the head of geography. )

but is someone become more likely to become more creative, original and fresh by doing an A level in photography, or by getting out and taking a stonking portfolio ?

and also of relevance to the OP who is teaching this A level - is it a decent photographer, or is it the history teacher who's got lumbered with it because he happens to own a DSLR (not as unlikely as it sounds, at my school CDT was taught by the religious studies teacher, and German was done by the head of geography. )

My teacher for my city & guild in photographer was next to useless,i only stuck it out because the firm i was working for was paying,and in the end i never did get the paperwork,the firm kept them after i left :(

who is teaching this A level - is it a decent photographer, or is it the history teacher who's got lumbered with it because he happens to own a DSLR (not as unlikely as it sounds, at my school CDT was taught by the religious studies teacher, and German was done by the head of geography. )
It is taught by 2 of the art teachers one of which is from a fashion photography background

It is taught by 2 of the art teachers one of which is from a fashion photography background

and what are the reviews like for kids in the year above you who are on the course ?

From what I've heard they've all really enjoyed it

Sound - but I enjoyed A level biology - principally because a girl called Natalie always wound up being my practical partner, and she was seriously hot. I got an E (probably not altogether un related to perving on natalie and thinking about doing some rather more practical biology :naughty: when i should have been listening to teacher)

Point i'm making is that being fun isn't the main prerrequisite for something that might determine the whole course of your life - i was rather more thinking what did students who've already done the course get, and did they go on to photographic jobs, self employment, and or photographic courses at uni. If you don't know any alumni to ask the school should have this sort of info.

But do you become creative merely by taking pictures? You'll get technically better, yes... but not necessarily more creative. Creativity comes from critical thinking... not the actual act of photographing. Creativity comes from the development of ideas, not the execution of them. In short.. the creativity is a separate process. You can have creative ideas and could use a whole range of methods to create the work.. photography just being one.

I would strenuously argue that taking photographs doesn't actually do anything to aid creativity. Education, critical thinking, and broadening your perceptions and outlook do a great deal more to aid creativity.

As for how good the A level teachers are... that's a valid point. They're almost certainly not going to be professional photographers. For the very basic level that A levels are though, it's not necessarily that big a deal.

I agree largely with the idea of taking relevant subjects for a future career rather than taking Photography, although if it will help you grin and bear other subject choices then by all means go for it. I spent far too much of my college time invested in beer and women and as a result lost interest in my A-Levels (scraped through them in the end) but I took a GCSE in Photography as a last-minute option and although I didn't learn anything, it was enjoyable enough that I got up for college instead of sleeping off a hangover, which in turn meant I eventually turned up for my other subjects.

Photography education seems to hit a sore point with most photographers, amateur or professional. I think as a linear system (GCSE to MA) you can learn a hell of a lot and come out of the other side as a great artist. Many people who pass with a BA or MA may not have done A-Levels or previous, so will often learn about creativity rather than technical skill (hence why there are so many "my friend has a degree and can't work out how to take the lens cover off" stories...), but that in itself is not a bad thing.

I know that I was recently looking at civilian jobs and was immediately discounted from 95% of the average-decent paid ones because I don't have a degree, despite an extensive and well-published portfolio. In fact the only ones I were qualified for were essentially junior positions. Unfortunately, that piece of paper does count for something to a lot of people, even if it's just a 'tick in the box' for some. Most HR-departments won't bother reading past "I know the job requires a degree and I don't have one, but...". None of them were looking for an A-Level (or equivalent) so don't make any career-based decisions on it. It could help your photography grow but is unlikely to land you a job.

Last edited:
Many people who pass with a BA or MA may not have done A-Levels or previous, so will often learn about creativity rather than technical skill (hence why there are so many "my friend has a degree and can't work out how to take the lens cover off" stories...), but that in itself is not a bad thing.

Not on my watch. First module... large format film.... BOOM!.... trial by fire :)

[edit].. most who have done A levels are technically terrible too. Most are these days.

Last edited:
But do you become creative merely by taking pictures? You'll get technically better, yes... but not necessarily more creative. Creativity comes from critical thinking... not the actual act of photographing. Creativity comes from the development of ideas, not the execution of them. In short.. the creativity is a separate process.

well yeah , but is creativity developed by shooting in the style of Ansel Adams, or writing an essay about why HCB was the one true god, ? IMO being made to emulate the work of others is the antithesis of creativity. You only have to look at our 'creative' forum to see how little creativity comes from doing the same thing as everyone else. IMO creativity isn't really something you can teach, it is developed by the freedom to experiment and develop ones own ideas free of judgement of whether they are 'good' or not , being marked from E to A based on whether your work fits someone elses preconceived mark scheme will not make you more creative.

Also I'd challenge how valuable creativity actually is in getting hired /paid anyway - in my (admittedly limited) experience clients don't want highly creative work, they want the same formulaic work as everyone else (whether that's weddings , yes yet another set of groups... grooms friends, brides friends, all the ladies in daft hats, all the men holding a cigarette behind their back zzzz , or landscape shots where tired clichés like Durdle Door with a fluffy sea from long exposure , out sells new but less populist views ) Even things that are alledgedly creative - trash the dress, go pro shots from above, cake smash blah were only creative the first time , but being a collosal cliché doesn't stop them selling.

I'm not saying that an A level is inherently bad - as I said I've been tempted to do one myself for the hell of it , but I do doubt whether it will really help that much with pursuing a photographic career (that goes double for a degree - if I was starting a new business now I'd far rather invest the £13k (or however much it costs these days) in cameras, lenses, and marketing , than spend it on 3 years of higher education.)

Last edited:
well yeah , but is creativity developed by shooting in the style of Ansel Adams, or writing an essay about why HCB was the one true god, ? IMO being made to emulate the work of others is the antithesis of creativity. You only have to look at our 'creative' forum to see how little creativity comes from doing the same thing as everyone else. IMO creativity isn't really something you can teach, it is developed by the freedom to experiment and develop ones own ideas free of judgement of whether they are 'good' or not , being marked from E to A based on whether your work fits someone elses preconceived mark scheme will not make you more creative.

Exactly.. so you can teach it therefore... just not as a subject. You teach it by providing a thinking environment, and looking at, and studying the work of others...experimenting with ideas once you have a broad range of cultural references in which to place your ideas... not actually creating the work of others. You're right.. that is what happens in the creative forum. You get people trying out what others have done and seen elsewhere. They'll have a go at water drops, or this, or that. You get no argument from me here.

Also I'd challenge how valuable creativity actually is in getting hired /paid anyway - in my (admittedly limited) experience clients don't want highly creative work

What clients though? What do you shoot? Wedding clients? Of course they don't. They don't want their big day used as a test bed for an art project :) Social portraiture? No... mainstream commercial.. probably not either.

, they want the same formulaic work as everyone else (whether that's weddings , yes yet another set of groups... grooms friends, brides friends, all the ladies in daft hats, all the men holding a cigarette behind their back zzzz , or landscape shots where tired clichés like Durdle Door with a fluffy sea from long exposure , out sells new but less populist views ) Even things that are allegedly creative - trash the dress, go pro shots from above, cake smash blah were only creative the first time , but being a collosal cliché doesn't stop them selling.

Well.. yes.. Wedding clients, as I said above.. no. Landscape? Not really much work for landscape photographers is there. You'd be quite foolhardy to think you can earn much of a living doing that.. but if you wanted to, you'd need to at least be original. Trash the dress? Cake smash? Seriously? Weddings and Social Portraiture aren't the things I even think about when I think of professional photography though. These are the types of jobs that you don't really need a massive amount of creativity to produce. Anyone with a bit of tech knowledge and a SLR can set up and do work like that.. probably badly... but the clients don't even seem to care about that. No, they're not creative (although there are a few wedding photographer that are... seen some in this very forum). They're derivative because the client is the general public. There are very few truly creative wedding photographers out there. I've seen the odd good one in here... but Pete.... you don't go to Uni to study photography only to do weddings or social portraiture. If you want to do that, you really just need technical skill to do it well. If someone wants to do that.... they should just go and do it. These industries are ruined now though... far too many idiots with a camera who think they know what's what, doing weddings for only £500 etc. The fact that Venture can charge £1000+ per large framed print when their photographers aren't even photographers pretty much sums this type of market up for me.

Now let's look at editorial photography.. still huge markets for that. That's where there's still creativity. Fashion.. proper editorial fashion (not catalogue and women's mags), that's creative.. always has been. Proper portrait photography (not social portraiture), Advertising, high end commercial and industrial work is often very creative. All these industries still look for new, fresh creative talent all the time, and that's where our graduates are going (the ones with the drive and passion any way). Every year our graduate shows in London attract industry types... ever year our best get snapped up to shoot something, or assist someone, or just exchange details and network with one another. 6 of last year's graduates are now working in London, and getting commissioned work. 8 more in Manchester and Leeds. One of our third year students has just been commissioned to shoot stuff for Kopparberg cider only last week ... he's not even graduated yet. That happens every year too as we have industry based modules. So.. Pete... does a creative education get you work? Yes. You'll get the same kind of response if you ask someone from Falmouth, or Nottingham, or any other reputable degree course too.

Yes. It does.

I'm not saying that an A level is inherently bad - as I said I've been tempted to do one myself for the hell of it , but I do doubt whether it will really help that much with pursuing a photographic career (that goes double for a degree - if I was starting a new business now I'd far rather invest the £13k (or however much it costs these days) in cameras, lenses, and marketing , than spend it on 3 years of higher education.)

What business though Pete. Weddings? Social portraiture? Of course a degree is useless for that. Why do I always feel I'm repeating myself... LOL. If someone came to us saying they want a degree to start a business shooting social portraiture, we'd advise them that they'd be effectively wasting their time... go do a HND. Pete.. you can't say a degree education doesn't get you work.... you just can't. It does... if you're good.... it does. The degree itself doesn't, no... the actual piece of paper... no one gives a toss about that. The photography you'll be producing if you use the opportunities afforded to you by a good degree program... THAT will get you work though. I can prove this, year in, year out, and so could any of the other big 10 photography degree courses around the country. People make the mistake of thinking that just having the degree will get you work. It doesn't. This isn't banking or insurance, or other industries where having a piece of paper will get you a job. No one, not once, ever, has asked to see my degrees.. I don't even know where they are... LOL. What graduates leave with is a great book full of creative, fresh, imaginative imagery. THAT gets them work... that and the ability to market themselves.It was my work that got me work when I graduated.. that and the ability to discuss the work, talk creatively and passionately about ideas.

A level photography won't get you work, no... you'll learn nothing about the industry... you'll learn nothing particularly creative. It's a very basic course. I'm surprised you want to even do it Pete. You'll be way in advance of it already I bet.

Last edited:
Now let's look at editorial photography.. still huge markets for that. That's where there's still creativity. Fashion.. proper editorial fashion (not catalogue and women's mags), that's creative.. always has been. Proper portrait photography (not social portraiture), Advertising, high end commercial and industrial work is often very creative. .

So in essence if james wants to be a editorial photographer, a fashion photographer, or a propper portrait photographer , its worth his while trying to get into one of the big ten ( it would probably be worth enumerating who the big ten courses are, and what their entry requirements are.. I'd be willing to bet that the ucas adviser at the average school doesnt know )

If on the otherhand he wants to be a wedding photographer or a freelance for local papers, or the sort of andy rouse/ joe cornish wildlife/ landscape photographer (who makes a large %of income from talks and workshops), or a social/lifestyle portrait photographer - then photo A level and subsequent degrees probably isnt the best way to go - and he'd be better off getting careeer qualification is a different feild so that he doesnt wind up working in Maccy ds while trying to get his photo business off the ground.

With regard to my own qualifications , its just for personal satisfaction - I was inordinately badly taught at A level and always felt my results (22 years ago) didnt reflect my ability (since then i've acheived a masters degree , and i'm mid way through an MBA) Therefore i am periodically retaking A levels or taking others just to show myself that I'm not the B,D,E student that the education system wrote off as a failure. So far I've retaken geography and biology (the D &E originally) and got A both times, I've also taken business studies (A) and I'm thinking about other options - photography is one, but it will be a just because i can qualification , i'm not expecting it to lead to anything in particular. ( In much the same way as i'm thinking about ARPS and potentially then FRPS)

So in essence if james wants to be a editorial photographer, a fashion photographer, or a propper portrait photographer , its worth his while trying to get into one of the big ten ( it would probably be worth enumerating who the big ten courses are, and what their entry requirements are.. I'd be willing to bet that the ucas adviser at the average school doesnt know )

I think we're probably getting ahead of ourselves advising James which University he should be attending for Photography, when he's just taking A level because photography is a hobby. :) You're right though... the UCAS advisor probably wouldn't help. Nor would trusting student survey information really.. stuff like Unistats... useless. The questions that make up the survey are not really relevant. The only real way to know is by knowing how the industry rate graduates from courses. Unistats just measures how happy students are. It's easy to make students happy. You can do that by making everything easy for them. That doesn't necessarily help them in the long run.

Basically... If seriously considering this, the "big 10" makes it sound like an official designation... I just refer to the courses that have either been around a very long time, and have a proven track record, or those that are producing some good results and doing some innovative stuff at the moment.... so in essence, that would be Bournemouth, Nottingham and Trent, Falmouth, Westinster, Blackpool, UCLAN (Uni of Central Lancs), Coventry, London College of Communication, Farnham and Brighton.... They swap around a bit, but they all tend to regularly turn out graduates that actually achieve something, which in my mind, is what really matters.

If on the otherhand he wants to be a wedding photographer or a freelance for local papers, or the sort of andy rouse/ joe cornish wildlife/ landscape photographer (who makes a large %of income from talks and workshops), or a social/lifestyle portrait photographer - then photo A level and subsequent degrees probably isnt the best way to go - and he'd be better off getting careeer qualification is a different feild so that he doesnt wind up working in Maccy ds while trying to get his photo business off the ground.

That's one way to look at it, yes, but I think it's more about choosing an appropriate course... HNDs are probably more suited to those who want to work on a more commercial basis, as they tend to be more vocational in nature.. as to FdA courses (Foundation Degrees). Essentially though, in a way, you're right.

With regard to my own qualifications , its just for personal satisfaction - I was inordinately badly taught at A level and always felt my results (22 years ago) didnt reflect my ability (since then i've acheived a masters degree , and i'm mid way through an MBA) Therefore i am periodically retaking A levels or taking others just to show myself that I'm not the B,D,E student that the education system wrote off as a failure. So far I've retaken geography and biology (the D &E originally) and got A both times, I've also taken business studies (A) and I'm thinking about other options - photography is one, but it will be a just because i can qualification , i'm not expecting it to lead to anything in particular. ( In much the same way as i'm thinking about ARPS and potentially then FRPS)

What's your MA in?

I've no idea where you find the time to collect all these qualifications BTW... you're clearly doing something right. I hardly have time to pick up a camera lately.. something that's starting to annoy me... along with the increasing "bums on seats" attitude to recruitment in education (not just in our place.. but pretty much everywhere). I'm really questioning how long I can stand teaching in formal education for these days. The students who really deserve to be there are great... love working with them... but each year there's a larger and larger contingent of those that just don't give a **** that 5 years ago wouldn't have even got on the course. At some point... my conscience won't let me stay there any longer. Then, I'll probably rebuild the photo career, or just run my own training programmes for students who have the passion that made me want to teach in the first place.

I think we're probably getting ahead of ourselves advising James which University he should be attending for Photography, when he's just taking A level because photography is a hobby. :) .

I was thinking that if he wants to do one of those courses it would be a real shame to discover in 2 years time that they require photography, a science, and maths (unlikely I know but you get the picture) only to find that he's spent the last two years doing photography French and drama.

incidentally my masters (its an MSc rather than MA) is Countryside management (university of London) , the MBA I'm working on is the distance learning one with EBS, fortunately you can spread it over several years as I'd have neither the time nor the money to do it all in one hit.

Well, good luck with it :) I hope you're enjoying it.

thanks - I'm not sure enjoy is the right word, its interesting but can be bloody hard to do on top of a full time job, I will hovever enjoy getting about 10k more a year when I get to be a general manager - which goal the MBA will help deliver

But do you become creative merely by taking pictures? You'll get technically better, yes... but not necessarily more creative. Creativity comes from critical thinking... not the actual act of photographing. Creativity comes from the development of ideas, not the execution of them. In short.. the creativity is a separate process. You can have creative ideas and could use a whole range of methods to create the work.. photography just being one.

I would strenuously argue that taking photographs doesn't actually do anything to aid creativity. Education, critical thinking, and broadening your perceptions and outlook do a great deal more to aid creativity.

As for how good the A level teachers are... that's a valid point. They're almost certainly not going to be professional photographers. For the very basic level that A levels are though, it's not necessarily that big a deal.

Sort of yes I agree, but taking those broadened perceptions and applying it to your images aids creativity, perhaps....

Back