Should I upgrade from a D80 to a D300 ?

Name
Patrick
Edit My Images
Yes
Is the 300 so much better that I'll notice the difference straight away ? Will I need less PP to produce decent landscape, sports & portrait images ? I'm asking as there are a couple of D300's within an hour's drive @ £899, so if I got £350 or thereabouts for my D80 the balance could be manageable.

i did

and wow, i know its only 2 megapixels more, but just for the features and the handling, working in manual is great...

try it, i dont think you will regret it.

d300 is a great upgrade from the d80, it uses differnet processing engine, is faster, better frame rate, has better lowlight capability, feels more solid and better balanced in the hand. It is larger and heavier though, and uses CF cards instead of SD.

I did, what a difference, the D300 is a great piece of kit (y)

All the images in my gallery were taken with a D300.

The D80 is a fantastic camera. The D300 is far better - I remain unconvinced that the difference in price is ALWAYS totally justified. What is wrong with your D80 pictures? You will notice a difference.

When I picked up the D300 for the first time, I knew that I was going to buy it. It felt right, acquired quicker and I enjoyed it. On reflection, I am not sure that I enjoyed it for the cost of it more than I did the D80. As previously mentioned, it is a fair bit heavier.

What does circa £600 mean to you? Throw away cash? Should you consider staying with the current body and buying better glass?

Chris

The D300 has much better high ISO performance than the D80 if thats important to you that alone is worth the money.

his was shot at iso 4000 on my D300

AMH_8111A.jpg

I too upgraded from a D80 to a D300. In my mind, the update was worth it. Not just for the extra 2mp, the pictures it produce seem better even using the same lenses as the D80 used.

I went from D90 to D300 and while many of the internals are the same, much prefer the feel, and using it, so you should see a massive improvement.

I went from a D80 to a D300 fantastic diffrence go for it ..... I have now gone to a D3

I looked at this awhile back, but stuck with my D80 as i feel that i'm still learning with the D80. My brother in law went from a D70s to a D300 and loves it. He did comment that the D300 can be a little forgiving, in that it assumes you know what you're doing and going with it rather than compensating for user error. Don't know if others have found this.
My main reason to change would be for the better iso, which i may be better with a D90

Yes there is quite a substantial difference in the D80 and D300, i made the move and never regretted it for a minute, however depending on what you want to shoot, ie if you didn't use it for sports fast moving shots, the D90 could also be a contender, as it has better ISO than the D300 and is lighter, but of course it doesn't have the alloy weather sealed body as the D300 has, decisions decisions :D

I went from a D70 to a D300 then got a D80 as a back up. I quickly found that the D300 is in a different league to the D80 so I recently sold the D80 to get another D300. I now have 2 of them and they are fantastic value for money. You'll definately see an improvement in your images once you get one.

I loved my D80, it was/is a great camera, I then moved onto a d200, good step up, preferred the feel, image quaility about the same but the metering was better, no more blown highlights no mre exp comp all the time. Then I got my D300 a while ago and am totally blown away by it, I absolutely love mine. My D80 is sat in the draw at the moment and I will have it converted to IR when I have the money.

If you can., I'd go for the D300S. ;)

Thank's for all the opinions. I'm off to have a look at one today, we'll see what happens.....

Back