Should I upgrade from Elements 6 to CS3

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
I'm sure this question has been asked a few times in the past so please forgive me. I currently have Adobe Elements 6 but was wondering whether to upgrade to CS3. I don't edit in a HUGE way, I always shoot in RAW then just alter levels, sharpness mess around with layers etc, so there's lots of area's in Elements I've yet to play with. It really comes down to the final output, whatever I do in Elements would CS3 do it better.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, its a pretty big step to make £ wise.

Mark:)

I don't edit in a HUGE way

It's a personal choice, but that remark would sum it up for me. Ulnless you really want to get get into post processing and creative photoshop stuff a lot more, I'd save your cash and buy another lens instead :)

The time to upgrade is when you want to do something and it's not possible in Elements. To be honest Elements has come a long way in the last 2 releases. So initially I'd say save you money.
However don't forget you can get a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site. So you can try it out if you want. But 30 days if you've never used it before isn't very long.

The time to upgrade is when you want to do something and it's not possible in Elements. To be honest Elements has come a long way in the last 2 releases. So initially I'd say save you money.
However don't forget you can get a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site. So you can try it out if you want. But 30 days if you've never used it before isn't very long.

they should do a 3 year trial

I wish I hadn't wasted £400 on photoshop.

I was quite happy using PaintshopPro but thought I'd better get what the big boys use. In my experience Photoshop is overkill especially if you don't do (or want to do) that much mainpulation.

Had you thought about Lightroom? I'm part the way through a 30 day trial and its growing on me. You can make some quite subtle changes to your pics quite easily. :)

Elements 7 is about to be released

I have enjoyed learning a bit more about CS3 after moving up from Elements 6 - in reality I did not use PSE6 to anywhere near its full potential and if I could get a refund on CS3 I would think about it properly... I do like to use actions and they are not as easy to use (or to save) in PSE6.

My advice would be to have a look at PSE7 and spend the rest on a new lens (perhaps a new body?).

Chris

The elements code is directly from CS3 (hence the name) - just the overall functionality is reduced. So you only need CS3 if you want to do something at isn't in PSE.

That said CS3 is often on special 1/2 price for PSE registered users. As noted above PSE7 is imminent, which is supposed to include automatic sky processing, removal of spurious background objects and stuff like that.

Back