Should I upgrade my camera and lens?

Edit My Images
Yes
This is probably asked quite a lot so I apologise.

I currently have a Canon EOS 2000D with a 75-300mm lens from Canon.

I am looking at the Nikon D7500, mainly due to the increase in FPS in continuous shooting.

I would look to combine this with a new lens as it is a different brand to what I currently use.

My main question is, should I go for a 100-400mm lens, or a 150-600mm lens? I think the extra range would be beneficial to how I like to shoot.

Reasons why for this would be appreciated.

Hello :D

I used to think that we should be happy what we have and only buy new stuff when the old stuff fails or we outgrow it but these days I think if you want something new and you can afford it... Why not?

One thing I would recommend over DSLR kit is mirrorless. Would going mirrorless be an option for you?

Hello :D

I used to think that we should be happy what we have and only buy new stuff when the old stuff fails or we outgrow it but these days I think if you want something new and you can afford it... Why not?

One thing I would recommend over DSLR kit is mirrorless. Would going mirrorless be an option for you?
Im not sure to be honest, I've tried doing some research but for motorsports photography people just recommend DSLR due to battery life i think, and other factors of course.

There are lots of people on this site who shoot motorsports but I'm not one of them :D I think the better mirrorless cameras eclipse DSLR's for focus but battery life could still be an issue.

I shoot motorsports on mirrorless and I know a huge number of other pros and hobbyists have made the switch to mirrorless - battery life is a little reduced compared with Dslr, but I have no problem in covering a 3 day event with four batteries in a Canon r5.
I think generally the 100-400 option offers better af speed than the longer 150-600 options. Certainly on canon this is the case.

I shoot motorsports on mirrorless and I know a huge number of other pros and hobbyists have made the switch to mirrorless - battery life is a little reduced compared with Dslr, but I have no problem in covering a 3 day event with four batteries in a Canon r5.
I think generally the 100-400 option offers better af speed than the longer 150-600 options. Certainly on canon this is the case.
Ok, I did have a little look at mirrorless, more specifically the Canon M50 Mark ii.

I currently have a Canon EOS 2000D with the basic 75-300mm lens. I have read I would need an adapter to mount this on the M50. Does this reduce image quality or effect the AF in any way?
Further to this, how is lens avaliability, like would I have as many options as with a DSLR or could I just look at those lenses and always use an adapter?

I don’t know about that body specifically but I use EF lenses with an adaptor on the r5 and there is no degradation in quality using the adaptor at all. Mind you, the RF lenses specifically for mirrorless are exceptional.

I hired a R5 and a 100-500 L from the Canon test drive service.

I was pleasantly surprised by the battery life and would concurr that 4 batteries over a weekend would be just about sufficient for someone working in a professional capacity, not necessarily covering every lap of every session.

I was less pleased with the lens and think the Canon EF 100-400 L II was superior when fitted with the EF to RF adaptor. Sharpness at the long end let this 100-500 down.

Last edited:
D500 and Nikkor 200-500 in the classifieds. Brilliant combination for motorsport.

If you are looking at 100-400 or 150-600 that tells me your lens options are Sigma or Tamron. Note that these are f6.3-6.7 on the long end, the Nikkor is 5.6 and I found that the Sigma 150-500 or 150-600 tend to be more cumbersome.

Back