Should I upgrade or overclock my CPU?

Edit My Images
No
My current editing set up is:

- i5 2500k 3.3ghz
- Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
- G-Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V
- I have my Win7, LR and catalog on an SSD and my RAW files on a 7200rpm 2tb hdd

I have an aftermarket fan on the CPU which keeps it at around 43-50c mostly.

I'm finding that LR isn't as fast as it could be and flicking through images has a tiny .75s-1s lag. I bought the CPU because of it's overclocking potential and I'm wondering if I should just try and get more out of it before having to considering a newer setup. I'm comfortable with the process of overclocking and reckon my cooling will cope. I won't be pushing it to the extreme limits, just a 15-20% boost to roughly 4ghz would be ok.

Any input or guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

Overclocking a CPU or upgrading a memory and stuff like that do help. It is up to you if you want to have a go.

But never assume it is hardware alone that is the reason, also consider software have a play in it too.

Too much software running in the background, or anti-virus being busy doing checking, or whatever, can hog some of the RAM and slow down the workflow.

Sometimes I shut down some software I'm not using, even not using a wallpaper, and few things like that sometimes actually helped.

Just make sure that you are really, really sure that your computer's cooling WILL cope! Then it's up to you if you want to.

That hardware spec shouldn't have such a lag. I vote it's a software or a Windows problem.

Thank you all, I'll have a bash at over clocking. I don't think it is software related, I keep a close eye over what I'm installing and how much background applications or processes are running.

but i tell you this,

My cpu has higher temps. I have a stock cooler and when im playing i get 55 celcius degrees. Ofc did OC from 3.5 to 4.2 but 55 degrees isnt bad and soon i will have a corsair h100i to help with the cooling ^^

I doubt the processor is the limiting factor. I bet it is the HDD access to load the raw files.

Yeh Overclocking would be fine if you stick with the multipliers rather than anything else. I have a similar spec PC except the slightly newer Ivy Bridge version. It also shows a bit of lag in between switching through photos. Lightroom 6 is a little slower than 5.6. And also can sometimes be slower when using HW acceleration when switching from Library to Developer mode.
You can see what the overhead is roughly by checking out the performance tab in Task Manager- You will see whether your CPU or HD is making a fuss, although I wouldn't take the results as gospel. Windows 7 may not show as granular details as Win8, but I haven't checked it in a while.

I suspect the lag in loading photos is due to them being on a mechanical HDD. All my local storage is solid state and it flies. as an alternative, you could use smart previews on the SSD?

Habing said that, having an i5 2500k and not overclocking it is a waste! Mine is running at 4.4gHz on lower voltage than stock, and has been for ~ 3 years.

Back