Tutorial Should you use a filter on your lens?

Garry Edwards

Name
Garry Edwards
Edit My Images
No
Garry Edwards submitted a new resource:

Should you use a filter on your lens? - Which lens filters are worth using?

When I thought about writing this tutorial I needed to make a decision – should I deal with the absolute basics and assume that everyone reading it only shoots on digital, should I write a scholarly article that explains the physics in detail, or should I try to compromise with a simple approach that also assumes that you’ll want to understand why filters became popular?

I’ve gone for the compromise approach, if you want to know more, then Google is your...

Read more about this resource...

Nicely done Garry, as is usual with your articles - a very good and easy to understand explanation. (y)

Now we'll be able to refer newer photographers to this article instead of repeatedly having to explain why they don't (or do) need to use filters.

Thanks for taking the time to write it. :)

Last edited:
Nicely done Garry, as is usual with your articles - a very good and easy to understand explanation. (y)

Now we'll be able to refer newer photographers to this article instead of repeatedly having to explain why they don't (or do) need to use filters.

Thanks for taking the time to write it. :)
(My bold). Thanks, that's pretty much why I wrote it. I'm thinking that I need to write one about lens hoods, possibly the most useful but least valued accessory :)
Does anyone have any views about this?

(My bold). Thanks, that's pretty much why I wrote it. I'm thinking that I need to write one about lens hoods, possibly the most useful but least valued accessory :)
Does anyone have any views about this?
Only to agree, and to add that I am amazed at the number of times I've seen supposedly pro photographers shooting with the hood still mounted reversed on the various 'Masters of Photography' type shows.

Only to agree, and to add that I am amazed at the number of times I've seen supposedly pro photographers shooting with the hood still mounted reversed on the various 'Masters of Photography' type shows.

I do it often. Then I am not a pro.
If the sun is behind me, and nothing bright on either side, why must I take it off and turn it round, just to avoid annoying people ? :)

If it is needed, it is at least on the camera ready to use and not at home.

If the sun is behind me, and nothing bright on either side, why must I take it off and turn it round, just to avoid annoying people ? :)

It's more that a reversed hood will make using zoom / focus rings harder, and often makes holding the lens more awkward as well.
There are times when I have the hood detached (such as when using a CPL, or my Lee filters), but in those situations I'll just drop it back in the bag.

It's more that a reversed hood will make using zoom / focus rings harder, and often makes holding the lens more awkward as well.
There are times when I have the hood detached (such as when using a CPL, or my Lee filters), but in those situations I'll just drop it back in the bag.
Yes, I agree, there are some lenses that are more difficult to use with it reversed, but if that became a nuisance, I would just turn it round, or "drop it in the bag", but I don't see the point in doing either just for the sake of it, it may as well be on the lens the wrong way round :)

Let's not turn this into a bunfight . . .
I'm convinced, and have started writing it. It is, of course, a lot more work than I thought it would be :)

Some people are very easily annoyed..... :naughty:

Being a clumsy chap, I use a hood in all circonstances. It's my insurance against bumps.

I like to have a filter on when photographic inquisitive kids with sticky fingers
I think that falls in the same category as mud / dust / salt spray - the 'muck' is not going to damage the front element directly, but repeatedly wiping it clean to get a clear shot adds a risk of scratching the lens coatings (if there's a small bit of grit in the stuff you're wiping off).

I like to have a filter on when photographic inquisitive kids with sticky fingers

I prefer to follow the instructions given on every box of matches - "KEEP AWAY FROM CHILDREN"!!!

I had a number of filter's in the film days but no idea where they all are now. Turned out the only one I cared to use much was the polarizer filter. Found my old polarizer in the camera bag a few days ago and thinking of trying it out again. Had a red filter that was for B&W if I remember right but don't recall what it was supposed to do. Suspect on digital it might mess up a color photo! Seems the only time I ever used to take off the lens hood was when I put on my polarizer, couldn't adjust it with the lens hood on. Why I never used it with the hood reversed I have no clue but used to have a couple lens's that didn't have a hood and don't know that I could tell the photo's I didn't use it in.

Being a clumsy chap, I use a hood in all circonstances. It's my insurance against bumps.

Some years ago, when I first got my 100-400 L, I was out and about with it on one of its very first outings into the wild...I had it tilted upright to remove the lens cap, and somehow - don't ask, I have NO idea - it slipped from my hand. While I had the strap safely anchored to prevent a REAL disaster, it did drop far enough to clatter into the metal pedestrian fence barrier directly in front of me... And that is why I always use the hood now, AND why I was never able to use screw-on filters on that lens for the entire time I had it! (Thus neatly tieing together the two parts of this thread!)

Back