Shoulder Strap

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone recommend a good shoulder strap for my D3s? Due to the weight, im after comfort and non slip (obviously :LOL:)

Scott, Have a look at the BlackRapid range. I use one with a 1DMklll with a 70-200mm f2.8 (a lot of weight there) Non slip and very comfortable.

Ian

We've used the Optech Pro camera straps for years and would thoroughly recommend them. They seem to retail at around the sub £20 bracket.

41U8sAxM%2BuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Optech do a shoulder sling that utilises the pad from the neckstrap the poster above mentioned http://optechusa.com/sling-strap-adaptor.html Bought one myself from an Ebay business seller in Israel for 17 quid new, first impressions are very good and has two securing points if required

Last edited:
I am looking at new camera straps for my 2 gripped D300s.

I shoot rugby/football mainly, one is used on a monopod (Siggy 150-500) and the other one (Nikon 70-200 2.8) will be used hand held, so I need a decent comfortable strap. So I have decided to go for the Optech Pro.

I did look at the others but refuse to pay £50-£60 for a camera strap.

Optech do a shoulder sling that utilises the pad from the neckstrap the poster above mentioned http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-49759-jacobs-digital-optech-utility-strap-sling.aspx?sku=1696785&
Bought one myself from an Ebay business seller in Israel for 17 quid new, first impressions are very good and has two securing points if required

I have the OpTech sling and found it a pain to use. The strap was constantly in my face when using the viewfinder, especially in portrait. In the end I bought a Black Rapid FastenR-2 to attach the clip to the tripod mount. The BR also has a clip to hold the camera down when not in use, which would be really useful for me.

If price is an issue get the eBay Quick Straps, if not get a pukka Black Rapid. I will be replacing my optech with a RS-7 when I can find the ~£50 for it.

Thanks for all your quick replies guys ... will definatley be looking into all your suggestions, especially at the BlackRapid range

I've just picked up a Black Rapid RS-7 from Jessops with new R3 fastener for £49.99, going to try it out tonight

Yes, I nearly got one but at the time was worried that I used a tripod QR a lot and I couldn't use both so got a Optech which used the normal strap points.

In use this sucked, and I should have gotten a RS-7 in the 1st place.

Just so you know the FastenR-2 has been upgraded to a 3 version which is prettier and smaller. I only went for a 2 as I had to fit the Optech loop through it and wasn't sure a 3 would have a big enough hole.

Also for anyone using Arca plates, 3 Legged Thing are releasing a black rapid compatable arca plate next month.

</corporateshill>

I bought the Q-Strap Quick Release Single Camera Shoulder Strap and it works great with my D300s.... really enjoy using the camera more now...

I've just picked up a Black Rapid RS-7 from Jessops with new R3 fastener for £49.99, going to try it out tonight

Can you post how you get on with it Lakes? Think im sold on this strap, especially looking at the reviews on You Tube!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Ian and Chris (y)

I've been looking at straps recently, and the ones most mentioned are:

- Black Rapid
- Sun Sniper
- Quick strap aka Q-Strap

Today i ordered the quick strap, mainly because of the price, and others saying how good it is.

The Black Rapid seems a good but the price put me off! :(

I used the RS-7 last night on a works do and apart from everyone thinking I was mad for spending £50 on a strap, I found it great.

It was comfy, I used my 40D with a 580EX II attached and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and had no issues at all, the camera hung exactly where I wanted it to and was very quick to grab for any drunken colleague moments.

So all in all I am very happy with it.

I use a blackrapid RS7 and I will vouch for it as well. I can carry my 7D and 70-300L for hours and not notice the weight. I ordered mine direct from them in the states and it arrived a week later, with the T1 fastener as well it was £45 or £49 I think and including postage.

There was a rip off one on the bay for $19.99 I think but I saw that after I had ordered.

I like the look of these but I am worried by the use of a quick release.
hasa any one ever had one fail ?
I often take my camera bouldering and i am worried that that it might pop when jumping off things.

Lakes_Puma said:
I used the RS-7 last night on a works do and apart from everyone thinking I was mad for spending £50 on a strap, I found it great.

It was comfy, I used my 40D with a 580EX II attached and a Sigma 18-50 f2.8 and had no issues at all, the camera hung exactly where I wanted it to and was very quick to grab for any drunken colleague moments.

So all in all I am very happy with it.

Received mine yesterday along with the side strap. Used it this morning for 2 hours and I gotta say I love it. Maybe on the expensive side, but when you've got a few K round your neck, it's well worth the investment.
Looks like it will last for years. Highly recommend to anyone. Can't believe ive put up with the standard neck strap for all this time!!
Thanks for the recommends guys (y)

Black rapid are highly rated. Only cheaper options are the sun sniper or the even cheaper quick strap (q-strap) from fleabay.

I've just had the sun sniper for my gripped 550d and its bloody brilliant!

thinking of purchasing a black rapid rs7 are they worth the investment? or can someone recommend a cheaper alternative?

What made me sway to spend the money (only a round of drinks more to be realistic) on the blackrapid is whether you want your what grand or two if not more of equipment hanging on the original product. Or to save a few pounds and get a cheap knock off of the same thing?

Not that I have read any horror stories about the cheap copy but too me it is not work the risk for what is not a lot of money difference.

It is amazing how comfortable it is, and by having it on the tripod mount it just sits perfectly on your side. The normal strap mount the optech uses just doesn't do it for me.

And also with black rapid the strap doesn't move, just the camera which works amazingly well.

Last edited:
Just bit the bullet on the Q-Strap. I made my own but I thought for £13 might as well go for something a bit better. Hopefully it meets my expectation. I don't have any heavy lenses so didn't see the justification on spending £50 on one.

I bought the double strap, but I use it as a single (separated) when I just want to use the one camera and lens combo. And one big advantage for me is that I get back and shoulder problems and I can carry a gripped Canon 5D with 300mm F4L IS for hours and hours and doesn't even hurt my back in the slightest which has always been a problem for me. So highly highly recommended.

Shoulder strap: Optech Pro or Custom SLR Split Strap.
Sling Strap: Black Rapid RS-Sport, Q Strap or Custom SLR Glide Strap.
Double Strap: Q Double or Optech Double Harness.

Used all the above and my favourite is the optech pro, I use it all the time. Regardless of that the most comfortable with heavy weights is a double strap. The black rapids/q straps are nice but I just prefer the Optech for some reason. The Q straps problem is the camera plate, its a good idea, but its a bit 'industrial' and I've lost the little clip to hold the screw in already

Jake

Hi

Looking at changing my Nikon strap, don't want to get the sling type ones so would like to get the Optech Pro ones, but which one would I need to use with the Nikon D90 and also be of the longest lenght.

Thank you

I've got 2 Q Straps which are excellent. They feel so comfortable and I carry a gripped 5D3 and a Sigma 150-500 OS all day long with no effects.
I've also just got the Q Double harness for when I've got the 5D3 and 60D on the go. I've only used it once so far and had the 5D3 and 150-500 on one side and a gripped 60D and 70-200 2.8 IS L on the other for over 90 minutes and still felt fresh as a daisy when I'd done. At a tenner for each strap and £12.99 for the harness you can't go wrong really.

modchild said:
I've got 2 Q Straps which are excellent. They feel so comfortable and I carry a gripped 5D3 and a Sigma 150-500 OS all day long with no effects.
I've also just got the Q Double harness for when I've got the 5D3 and 60D on the go. I've only used it once so far and had the 5D3 and 150-500 on one side and a gripped 60D and 70-200 2.8 IS L on the other for over 90 minutes and still felt fresh as a daisy when I'd done. At a tenner for each strap and £12.99 for the harness you can't go wrong really.

Thanks. Looks like I might have to go for the q straps.

I've got the hand strap on my DSLR, I love it but it means you can't have a shoulder strap as well. I like the look of the Custom SLR, any feedback Jacob?

Nice and lightweight, a lot less bulky than the blackrapid but the camera attachment is not quite as smooth to use. Overall they equal out but I tend to pick up my Custom SLR because I like the stretchy neoprene material (y)

Back