Shoulder Straps

Name
Liam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
So having taken delivery of my very first super telephoto, the Tamron 150-600mm G2 to go with my D7500,
Immediately I’m hit with the sheer weight of the lens compared to my 300mm,
I have been playing around with it for a day or so and you may laugh but it’s really hurting my arm trying to handhold it for aircraft shots etc..
These are the scenarios where I don’t need a tripod if I can really help it,
The standard strap for the camera I don’t trust with all the weight and I’d prefer to hold onto the lens to avoid stress on the camera,
I was looking at shoulder straps on amazon and found this

WITHLIN Lengthened Professional Photography Set - Extended Shoulder Strap with Safety Tether for Camera SLR DSLR (Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Pentax,etc) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBTXGCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VMPHAbBVJ539R

Just wondering if it’ll be any good and help take the weight by attaching to the lens foot ?
Anyone here use one of these and have any photos,
Thank you for reading

That looks like (with a variation of the tether) a copy of the Black Rapid strap.

I have the BR and it is IMO the best way to carry heavier long lens gear.

As for whether I would trust my gear to a £16 strap, no! Why, well I know I paid in BR for a premium product with declared quality materials used I would not be sure about a product from an unknown brand.........because you never know where they have 'saved money' in the production of choice of materials.

HTH :)

Cheers, yeah I didn’t have any idea about what the best straps were,
And that’s one I found when looking,
Suppose your right,
I’ll have a look at the blackrapid

There are other reportedly good brands using the same approach.....so keep an open mind and see what you think would suit you best.

+1 for the Black Rapid, works just fine on a D500 and 200-500mm f5.6 Nikkor.

GC

WITHLIN Lengthened Professional Photography Set - Extended Shoulder Strap with Safety Tether for Camera SLR DSLR (Canon Nikon Sony Olympus Pentax,etc) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NBTXGCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_VMPHAbBVJ539R

Just wondering if it’ll be any good and help take the weight by attaching to the lens foot ?
Anyone here use one of these and have any photos,
Thank you for reading

....That looks like a cheap copy of the BlackRapid strap and so I would not be inclined to trust it!

Even BlackRapid straps are weak in their attachment to a heavy lens without adding some extra ties for insurance. I don't find their metalwork attachment screw system to be confidence inspiring and instances of failure, although not common, have been reported.

I now use an OP/TECH USA neoprene padded strap which is attached to the loops built in to my Canon 500mm. It's comfortable all day long out in the field and I can swing it up onto my tripod without having to take the strap off from across my chest.

Last edited:
Another for black rapid, can carry nikon 500 + 200-500 lens all day very comfortably :)

[...]
Even BlackRapid straps are weak in their attachment to a heavy lens without adding some extra ties for insurance. I don't find their metalwork attachment screw system to be confidence inspiring and instances of failure, although not common, have been reported.

I agree. That's why I looked for a better engineered heavy duty strap.

I now use an OP/TECH USA neoprene padded strap which is attached to the loops built in to my Canon 500mm. It's comfortable all day long out in the field and I can swing it up onto my tripod without having to take the strap off from across my chest.

I ended up buying the Joby strap. A much more confidence inspiring ball bearing joint for the camera and lens to swivel on, plus a neat sort of pulley arrangement which allows rapid switching between a short strap for snug carrying of the camera with the lens securely ticked behind an arm, and a longer strap for when using the camera a lot.

http://joby.com/ultrafit-sling-strap

Thanks for all the input it’s appreciated,
I’m undecided still on what to get,
After thinking about it, it’s not ideal to have around £3k on a cheap strap,
I’ll have to wait until payday again as I’m broke from buying the 600mm lol,
But maybe will be the blackrapid I think,
But anymore input is more than welcome,
Thanks all again

I’ve got the black rapid and peak design slide for use with my D750 and Tamron 150-600mm and much prefer the slide. More comfortable and the anchors feel more secure.

Oh and it swings about less.

I have peak design slide for the sigma 150-600 and recently added the peak design leash for when i have a smaller lens.
What's great with the peak design is that it can be clipped/unclipped very simply and it can also be attached to the tripod plate.

What's not nice with the peak design is the price!

I have a Peak Design strap to hold my Sigma 150-600 C, very comfortable, and has 4 clips + tripod foot attachment so I can switch from the strap carrying the lens to the strap carrying the camera very easily.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/peak-design-slide-camera-strap-black-1645878/

....I think that fixing via only one screw to a big telephoto lens foot is asking for trouble sooner or later. Also a short sliding plate, assuming it is Arca-Swiss profile, simply isn't long enough either and may twist on the lens foot having only one fixing, the weight of a big lens etc heavily contributing to leverage.

I use an Acratech Arca-Swiss Swift Clamp with quick release lever attached to a BlackRapid but with cable ties added for insurance in case any of the BlackRapid metal components fail (as some have been reported to do). I use RRS and Jobu lens foot replacements which have long Arca-Swiss profiles.

https://www.bobrigby.com/acratech/item/acratech_swift_clamp_1146

Having now watched this video :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiuNFhUoxBI

: I think I may get a Peak Design slder and attach my Acratech Swift Clamp to it. What I don't like about my BlackRapid is that it tends to slip off my shoulder as I move about when nothing is attached to it.

Last edited:
I have a black rapid with my 7d2 and sigma 150-600c and it works fine for wildlife and I have used it for air shows to. to be honest its the only strap I use

I too am looking for a camera strap system that will take heavy weights; at max, I carry a D810 with 80-400mm lens with a total weight of 2.63Kg. I like the idea of the Jobo but several reports say the screw-in connector tends to come undone. Many people recommend the Black Rapid but which model are they referring to? There is the Curve, Breathe, Street, Hybrid et al.

I necessarily want anything fancy, just something that'll keep my camera from hitting the ground. I looked at the Op/tech and that seems to fit the bill but it also seems a bit cheap compared to the BR, although the fitting is much simpler which might explain the difference.

My big problem though is straps that attach to the camera are OK until I want to attach the 80-400 which has it's own screw thread. Using camera-attached straps are useless with such a long lens as the tip of the lens hangs down by the knee plus it would put incredible strain on the lens mount.

Arrgh, I don't know what to do.

If you had to carry 2.6kg of camera with a very long lens on it, what would/do you use?

PS At the moment I use an op/tech wrist strap for security but always end up also using my fingers to keep hold of the camera which is hard work after an hour or so as my arthritic fingers are not capable anymore.

I too am looking for a camera strap system that will take heavy weights; at max, I carry a D810 with 80-400mm lens with a total weight of 2.63Kg. I like the idea of the Jobo but several reports say the screw-in connector tends to come undone. Many people recommend the Black Rapid but which model are they referring to? There is the Curve, Breathe, Street, Hybrid et al.

I necessarily want anything fancy, just something that'll keep my camera from hitting the ground. I looked at the Op/tech and that seems to fit the bill but it also seems a bit cheap compared to the BR, although the fitting is much simpler which might explain the difference.

My big problem though is straps that attach to the camera are OK until I want to attach the 80-400 which has it's own screw thread. Using camera-attached straps are useless with such a long lens as the tip of the lens hangs down by the knee plus it would put incredible strain on the lens mount.

Arrgh, I don't know what to do.

If you had to carry 2.6kg of camera with a very long lens on it, what would/do you use?

PS At the moment I use an op/tech wrist strap for security but always end up also using my fingers to keep hold of the camera which is hard work after an hour or so as my arthritic fingers are not capable anymore.
I would still use the peak design slide, you can have one connector on the camera and the other on the lens tripod foot. Tbh though with my 150-600 I still just use two connectors on the camera, I don’t mind the lens hanging down and I don’t believe it puts a lot of strain on the mount in that direction (don’t take that as gospel ;)), it’s torsional strain on the mount I avoid.

I have a Rapid Strap (two in fact). I think mine is the Sport Breathe, and it was used on my 7D2 with grip and SIgma 150-600 Sport (the heavy one), and I now use it with my X-T2, grip, 100-400 plus 1.4TC. I also have the Breathe Double. I have used the Manfrotto quick release base on the tripod foot, but also used two clips, with a pair of Manfrotto QR plates to spread the load. Also, they do a special QR plate for Arca Swiss type heads.

I have found that with the R strap, I can carry my gear all day without too much of an issue. The other thing I use is their binocular strap, which clips to my rucksack. That saves all that weight around your neck while you're out in the field all day.

Whatever strap you buy, my strong advice is to avoid those which rely on a screw fix to either a lens foot or a body, especially as the heavier the weight the more risk of becoming unscrewed by leverage motion. Allen bolt fix with Blue Loctite is safer than any screw. Remember that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As the photo shows (yes, there is a story behind the oven glove!), my Canon 500mm lens has built-in attachments for a strap and so I use an OP/TECH and can even swing the lens onto my tripod without taking off the strap. It's comfortable to walk with because I can steady it with my right hand (even when wearing an oven glove!).

I have just bought a Peak Design Slide strap to replace my BlackRapid (soon for sale) and hang an Acratech Swift Clamp Arca-Swiss profile on it because all my gear has Arca-Swiss profile plates (bodies and lenses). The Peak Design Slide has simpler fixings and a broader and grippy strap - I'm not wearing it in this photo as I only received it from Wex yesterday.

I shall wear both straps because the OP/TECH lives on my 500mm and the Peak Design Slide is free to attach whatever I want on it including just to park a body swop on it.

Straps are personal in that what is comfortable for one person is not comfortable for another. But don't buy cheap because the gear you hang on any strap ain't cheap as chips is it!

RP%20OvenGlove.jpg

Last edited:
Whatever strap you buy, my strong advice is to avoid those which rely on a screw fix to either a lens foot or a body, especially as the heavier the weight the more risk of becoming unscrewed by leverage motion. Allen bolt fix with Blue Loctite is safer than any screw. Remember that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As the photo shows (yes, there is a story behind the oven glove!), my Canon 500mm lens has built-in attachments for a strap and so I use an OP/TECH and can even swing the lens onto my tripod without taking off the strap. It's comfortable to walk with because I can steady it with my right hand (even when wearing an oven glove!).

I have just bought a Peak Design Slide strap to replace my BlackRapid (soon for sale) and hang an Acratech Swift Clamp Arca-Swiss profile on it because all my gear has Arca-Swiss profile plates (bodies and lenses). The Peak Design Slide has simpler fixings and a broader and grippy strap - I'm not wearing it in this photo as I only received it from Wex yesterday.

I shall wear both straps because the OP/TECH lives on my 500mm and the Peak Design Slide is free to attach whatever I want on it including just to park a body swop on it.

Straps are personal in that what is comfortable for one person is not comfortable for another. But don't buy cheap because the gear you hang on any strap ain't cheap as chips is it!

I had one of the first Peak Design systems, in fact I still have it but don't use it anymore. I found the quick-release didn't always quickly release (or more importantly, quickly and securely attach) and despite using a purpose-designed belt to hold it all on I no longer felt safe after moving from a D7000 to the D810 with bigger lenses. The biggest worry about the original design of the Peak system is that they came out with a new, improved version and whenever anyone does that I always think 'so what was wrong with the old one then?'. Plus the Peak system is prohibitively expensive when you are buying a fixing system for a couple of long lenses plus a strap.

I think I'm going to go with the Op/Tech strap as there are two connections to the camera so half the weight on any connection. The 80-400mm is only attached when I'm actually using it so doesn't really need a strap of it's own.

I'm afraid I can't let you get away without telling us what the oven glove is for.

And I might add that those are cracking pictures on your Flickr page.

I had one of the first Peak Design systems, in fact I still have it but don't use it anymore. I found the quick-release didn't always quickly release (or more importantly, quickly and securely attach) and despite using a purpose-designed belt to hold it all on I no longer felt safe after moving from a D7000 to the D810 with bigger lenses. The biggest worry about the original design of the Peak system is that they came out with a new, improved version and whenever anyone does that I always think 'so what was wrong with the old one then?'. Plus the Peak system is prohibitively expensive when you are buying a fixing system for a couple of long lenses plus a strap.

I think I'm going to go with the Op/Tech strap as there are two connections to the camera so half the weight on any connection. The 80-400mm is only attached when I'm actually using it so doesn't really need a strap of it's own.

....A good friend has used his OP/TECH strap on his Canon 500mm F/4L for years without any problems shooting wildlife on walkabout and he handholds and never uses a tripod or monopod. It has a useful option of extending the length. Seeing him use his so many times I have used mine since July 2017 when I bought my Canon 500mm F/4L II (slightly lighter weight).

The original Peak design was doubtless done while they were seeking Kickstart financing of their new business and I think it's a good thing that companies continually reconsider how they might improve their products - A process often helped by customer feedback.

I don't agree with you when you say "the Peak system is prohibitively expensive when you are buying a fixing system for a couple of long lenses plus a strap" < D-SLR cameras and their lenses are expensive enough to warrant spending money on looking after their security when on a strap, in my opinion.

I'm afraid I can't let you get away without telling us what the oven glove is for.

And I might add that those are cracking pictures on your Flickr page.

....Thank you very much for your praise of my pictures on Flickr - It's much appreciated and I feel further encouraged.

The oven glove story is here on my Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Last edited:
For anyone who may be interested and who extensively uses Arca-Swiss profile plates, this is a photo of my Acratech Swift Clamp attached to my very recently bought Peak Design Slide :

PD%20Slide_0758.jpg

The included supply of two extra Anchor Loops enables attachments in a variety of ways. For example, one strap end on the telephoto lens foot (with plate) and the other end on the mounted camera body, although that may put extra strain on the body's lens mount. But there are other secure ways.

Last edited:
I know it's only intuition but those little nylon strings look so inadequate for the job in hand. Modern technology exceeds what is secure in my own head.

Further to my posts and those of others above, I finally decided on the Black Rapid Breathe; it arrived today and I am pleased with my decision. It is very long (if you want it to be) and mimics the product video pretty well. The only downside is that I looked at getting another fastener to go on my super zoom and found they are nigh on twenty quid so I think I'll manage without for the moment. First impression is that it is what I have been looking for in a camera strap but I'm going to Spain in a couple of months so we'll see how it handles prolonged use.

I know it's only intuition but those little nylon strings look so inadequate for the job in hand. Modern technology exceeds what is secure in my own head.

I thought that when I first got mine, which is why I thought they gave you spares.
They are actually quite clever, having three layers with different colours so you can see when they are fraying and how far they have gone. Replacing the tag is just a cheap part then.
I say this, but I've yet to fray through one, having frayed up the usual manufacturers strap in about 6 months. I've had my slide and clutch on my camera now for about two years. I really like being able to quickly take the slide off if just wanting to use the clutch only. The slide goes on when I'm carrying the camera all day.

I have no problem walking around with the slide on a Canon 5D mk3 and 100-400 lens.

I may be the only one but I find carrying a d500 with 200-500 attached on a black rapid sport strap very uncomfortable. It's too much weight and pulls on the one shoulder too much. I always resort to carrying via the lens foot.

I do find carrying the d500 with a 70-300 / 17-55 on the strap very comfortable though.

I've tested but not tried properly the same with a 80-400. I'm hoping it's still comfortable.

I may be the only one but I find carrying a d500 with 200-500 attached on a black rapid sport strap very uncomfortable. It's too much weight and pulls on the one shoulder too much. I always resort to carrying via the lens foot.

I do find carrying the d500 with a 70-300 / 17-55 on the strap very comfortable though.

I've tested but not tried properly the same with a 80-400. I'm hoping it's still comfortable.

Well I've had a quick go with a D810 plus 24-70mm zoom and TBH I can't even feel the weight at all. Previous to getting this strap I used an Optech wrist strap but arthritis makes holding the weight of the equipment hard on my dodgy fingers now. I even have to use my middle finger on the shutter button as my index finger is too painful to use for any length of time. Ah, age, with it comes wisdom and unfortunately sod-all else.

I was not happy with the commercially available shoulder straps for any of the manufacturers, I even got a Black Rapid as a prise - pretty but I wasn't going to put a camera on it! So I had a rummage about in the bits and bobs bin, bought an "Eye Bolt" for pennies on E Bay and made the one in the attached image. Please excuse the dodgy picture!

I had three backpack straps doing nothing (2 LowePro and one Think Tank) plus a cheap ARCA clamp with no immediate use/need, add an Eye Bolt (pennies) and the result is a nice comfy strap or medium to heavy lenses. More to the point it is secure and strong - unlike the commercial ones that I have tried/owned and spreads the load much better. This is primarily used with my Canon 1DX and 300 F2.8 L IS or 800 F5.6 L IS and is far more than up to the job:)

Out of pocket cost was about £12.

Attachments

• Lens06.JPG
    Lens06.JPG
    395.8 KB · Views: 47
I was not happy with the commercially available shoulder straps for any of the manufacturers, I even got a Black Rapid as a prise - pretty but I wasn't going to put a camera on it! So I had a rummage about in the bits and bobs bin, bought an "Eye Bolt" for pennies on E Bay and made the one in the attached image. Please excuse the dodgy picture!

I had three backpack straps doing nothing (2 LowePro and one Think Tank) plus a cheap ARCA clamp with no immediate use/need, add an Eye Bolt (pennies) and the result is a nice comfy strap or medium to heavy lenses. More to the point it is secure and strong - unlike the commercial ones that I have tried/owned and spreads the load much better. This is primarily used with my Canon 1DX and 300 F2.8 L IS or 800 F5.6 L IS and is far more than up to the job:)

Now that looks sturdy

Certainly looks the part, well done.

Thanks for the comments.

I originally built it to carry my 1DX and 800 F5.6 L IS and it does the job quite well. Having said that and the fact that the strap is quite wide - it still makes the shoulder sag a bit after a while. Well anything would with a lump like that!
With my 1DX and 300 F2.8 it simply does not limit my range. When going through brush I simply push it around my back and when clear I swing it down to my hip ready for any birdies that might appear.

Nothing is perfect - but this strap is the closest that I have (yet) found. The strap needs to be just a little (inch or two) longer to be just right - plenty good enough for the foreseeable though................

Now that looks sturdy

Yes it is seriously sturdy but it was cheap to make and works well. Originally I had two Eye Bolts and a longer, heavier, clamp - but then I thought that I needed to support a camera and large lens rather than have them support me;)
So I went to a smaller clamp and one Eye Bolt, still more than enough.

P.S. If anybody is frightened about the price of Flash Brackets and Better Beamers (who isn't?) this is another DIY I did - no not the lens and camera:D

Attachments

• 86487808.jpg
    86487808.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 38

....You have done a really good job there. BUT, I am finding that the ability to turn my Peak Design strap from being slidey or grippy is extremely useful in the field (I shoot wildlife). Also, the PD Slide's ease of sliding the bars to change the length of the strap lightning fast is very useful indeed. By having additional Anchor Loops on other pieces of camera gear the result is a system which is extremely quick and easy to use in the field.

For those who think that the Anchor Loops are too flimsy, they are multi core and apparently are tested to 200 lbs!

If I was making a copy of yours, John, I would use an Arca-Swiss profile clamp with a quick release lever rather than knob. The faster a release, the less chance of missing the shot.

Whereas your "out of pocket cost" (because you already had some of the components?) was only £12, what would it cost if you had to buy everything new? Still not a lot and doubtless a small fraction of the £220 total mine has cost me - See a pic of it in Reply #24. BUT, I know from experience of using strap set ups like yours that the £60 Peak Design Slide is superior in actual use. Please don't misunderstand my words though, if you have a budget yours is an excellent solution and is clearly very strong.

....You have done a really good job there. BUT, I am finding that the ability to turn my Peak Design strap from being slidey or grippy is extremely useful in the field (I shoot wildlife). Also, the PD Slide's ease of sliding the bars to change the length of the strap lightning fast is very useful indeed. By having additional Anchor Loops on other pieces of camera gear the result is a system which is extremely quick and easy to use in the field.

For those who think that the Anchor Loops are too flimsy, they are multi core and apparently are tested to 200 lbs!

If I was making a copy of yours, John, I would use an Arca-Swiss profile clamp with a quick release lever rather than knob. The faster a release, the less chance of missing the shot.

Whereas your "out of pocket cost" (because you already had some of the components?) was only £12, what would it cost if you had to buy everything new? Still not a lot and doubtless a small fraction of the £220 total mine has cost me - See a pic of it in Reply #24. BUT, I know from experience of using strap set ups like yours that the £60 Peak Design Slide is superior in actual use. Please don't misunderstand my words though, if you have a budget yours is an excellent solution and is clearly very strong.

The length adjustment on mine is simple - it's at full length and that's it :) I can adjust it but then it is too short! Out in the open my camera/lens is at my right side and then swung to the rear when negotiating brush/thick woods etc. Plus I do not trust lever clamps as they are too finicky about the QR plate used and can be flicked open by passing branches etc. Having said that why would the ability to release the lens quickly be a necessity? I just grab the camera and shoot - I don't detach anything, even quicker! The strap allows plenty of room to just swing the camera up to my eye and click away and supports the camera at about belt level when walking about. I must state that I haven't tried the PD strap like yours but other makes that I have tried (BR etc) have had these slidy loop things - I couldn't see how they would help - perhaps I was doing something wrong?

Out of pocket costs were certainly low in my case as I had several straps doing nothing so kit was only a clamp and an Eye bolt. I didn't make this strap due to budgetary considerations I made it because I hadn't found any practical and comfortable system that I would trust with Canon's most expensive EF lens at the time I made it. It is plain, simple comfy and it works - well not quite so comfy with my 800mm (a 500 F4 Mk2 is just right on it) but still better than anything I have, yet, tried/seen;)

I had a look at the PD Slide: https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide
I don't think that one is for me.

The length adjustment on mine is simple - it's at full length and that's it :) I can adjust it but then it is too short! Out in the open my camera/lens is at my right side and then swung to the rear when negotiating brush/thick woods etc. Plus I do not trust lever clamps as they are too finicky about the QR plate used and can be flicked open by passing branches etc. Having said that why would the ability to release the lens quickly be a necessity? I just grab the camera and shoot - I don't detach anything, even quicker! The strap allows plenty of room to just swing the camera up to my eye and click away and supports the camera at about belt level when walking about. I must state that I haven't tried the PD strap like yours but other makes that I have tried (BR etc) have had these slidy loop things - I couldn't see how they would help - perhaps I was doing something wrong?

Out of pocket costs were certainly low in my case as I had several straps doing nothing so kit was only a clamp and an Eye bolt. I didn't make this strap due to budgetary considerations I made it because I hadn't found any practical and comfortable system that I would trust with Canon's most expensive EF lens at the time I made it. It is plain, simple comfy and it works - well not quite so comfy with my 800mm (a 500 F4 Mk2 is just right on it) but still better than anything I have, yet, tried/seen;)

I had a look at the PD Slide: https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/slide
I don't think that one is for me.

....Which all goes to prove that we each have our own individual ways of carrying and handling our camera gear. There isn't really a right way or a wrong way.

For me, when photographing something like a perched Dragonfly I will be initially shooting on a Canon 100-400mm (usually mounted on 7D2) and then want to not lose any time while parking it on my Swift Clamp while I go in close for a shot on my 100mm Macro (usually on M5 or 5D4). Using two cameras in the field necessitates my need for speed. Even when primarily only shooting on my 500mm F/4L II mounted on a tripod, I benefit from being able to very quickly park a body on my Swift Clamp while I either change camera body or Extender.

Regarding your distrust of lever clamps, my Acratech Swift Clamp lever has a simple locking mechanism which stops it being accidentally opened by a passing branch etc. I have never had any problem with it securely accepting various Arca-Swiss profile plates and lens foot replacements.

I have owned a BlackRapid but much prefer the Peak Design strap so far. But straps are a personal thing and what's comfortable and works best for one photographer doesn't for another.

By the way, I also have an OP/TECH strap always attached to my 500mm which has the benefit of the lugs on the lens body rather than using the lens foot plate < I sometimes use both straps to steady the rig if climbing over rocks etc when I need both hands.

Happy shooting :)

....Which all goes to prove that we each have our own individual ways of carrying and handling our camera gear. There isn't really a right way or a wrong way.

For me, when photographing something like a perched Dragonfly I will be initially shooting on a Canon 100-400mm (usually mounted on 7D2) and then want to not lose any time while parking it on my Swift Clamp while I go in close for a shot on my 100mm Macro (usually on M5 or 5D4). Using two cameras in the field necessitates my need for speed. Even when primarily only shooting on my 500mm F/4L II mounted on a tripod, I benefit from being able to very quickly park a body on my Swift Clamp while I either change camera body or Extender.

Regarding your distrust of lever clamps, my Acratech Swift Clamp lever has a simple locking mechanism which stops it being accidentally opened by a passing branch etc. I have never had any problem with it securely accepting various Arca-Swiss profile plates and lens foot replacements.

I have owned a BlackRapid but much prefer the Peak Design strap so far. But straps are a personal thing and what's comfortable and works best for one photographer doesn't for another.

By the way, I also have an OP/TECH strap always attached to my 500mm which has the benefit of the lugs on the lens body rather than using the lens foot plate < I sometimes use both straps to steady the rig if climbing over rocks etc when I need both hands.

Happy shooting :)

Quite right - as you say we are all different! Personally I only carry one camera and lens when going "Walkabout". When I need to carry more then I use a backpack - slow but it allows me to carry the weight and Tea!

I see from your pikkie that the Acratech clamp had a safety device, I take it (from your post) that this does not slow things down - if so that's great. Fortunately/unfortunately (?) I have QR plates from various makers and they are not all the same which is one reason I prefer screw type clamps. Again we all have our preferences.

Your point on carrying two cameras got me thinking (always a bad move) as I still have a holster style bag which I used to use with a shoulder strap (one of the spares I mentioned) and a wide belt. This distributed the weight of smaller loads (4/5 kilos) very well and wouldn't interfere with my shoulder strap and a larger lens. I will have to give this a go and see how I get on with it!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Looking at the above thread,
That keyring safety idea is ingenious,
When I decide on what I’m going to get I’ll be rigging mine up the same way
Few pennies for that saves the gear should the strap or fastenings fail

Looking at the above thread,
That keyring safety idea is ingenious,
When I decide on what I’m going to get I’ll be rigging mine up the same way
Few pennies for that saves the gear should the strap or fastenings fail

....When I used a BlackRapid strap I added plastic cable ties for additional security.

It's extremely unlikely that a good quality strap material will fail and much more likely that a fastening supplied with it might fail. Peak Design use a strap material which appears to be the same as used in vehicle safety belts. Consequently the strap has more pliability and is comfortably soft and yet extremely strong.

Last edited:
Back