Show me your Duxford Airshow pics from outside the airfield (Naughty Field)!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I go a couple of times a year to the shows, normally with family in tow, and expect to do the same again this year. However, I know a lot of people stand in the naughty field and would like to see the difference in pics from there as opposed to the traditional location.

I like to wander, so I am never the sort of person to be against a fence at 11am inside Duxford, so Ii tend to stand back a bit at various locations. Is it worth me trying one show from outside, what are some of the angles like etc... If I am going to stand in a field with no amenities I want to be sure its worth it!!

I know that not everyone approves of this, but please only comment based on above, thanks.

Wow some great shots, I was going to go until I saw the ticket prices. I might even take a trip next year and look the field up

If you had to pay the Public Liability Insurance and the Insurance and maintenance costs of each individual A/C you would then understand how they got to the ticket price.

Obviously its quite subjective, but compared to shooting inside Duxford, do those shooting from the naughty field need much longer lenses? i.e. I normally have a 300mm on DX (so 450mm equiv), would that be fine (as you may get them flying as close) or is it a case of 300 being fine inside and 400 needed to get similar shots outside?

Obviously its quite subjective, but compared to shooting inside Duxford, do those shooting from the naughty field need much longer lenses? i.e. I normally have a 300mm on DX (so 450mm equiv), would that be fine (as you may get them flying as close) or is it a case of 300 being fine inside and 400 needed to get similar shots outside?

Whilst I haven't been, I have seen it recommended as 200-400 being optimum (not sure if they were referring to DX or FX mm though).

I wondered how long before the dangling worm was bitten when i saw this thread......oh i'm a a proper tight @arsed git who doesn't even go in the naughty field but sit in the lane over the other side...easy to find, set sat nav to avoid "holier than holy close", "preachers road" in the district of "i've never watched anything for free in my life" :)

Duxford sell out for the big shows so miss out on nothing by some watching for free!

anyway...heres a couple from the naughty lane...

Typhoon....(Explore 7th September 2013)
by martyndt, on Flickr

Aerostars...(Explore 12th September 2013)
by martyndt, on Flickr

Last edited:
I go a couple of times a year to the shows, normally with family in tow, and expect to do the same again this year. However, I know a lot of people stand in the naughty field and would like to see the difference in pics from there as opposed to the traditional location.

I like to wander, so I am never the sort of person to be against a fence at 11am inside Duxford, so Ii tend to stand back a bit at various locations. Is it worth me trying one show from outside, what are some of the angles like etc... If I am going to stand in a field with no amenities I want to be sure its worth it!!

I know that not everyone approves of this, but please only comment based on above, thanks.

We went last year and had a great day (from inside) - we did wonder about having a walk outside to the grass verge and seeing what things were like, but was told on the gate, if you go out, you couldn't come back in (even with your ticket and your car parked inside), so needless to say, we stayed inside and had a great day none the less...sun was a bit of a pain though.

OK, i'm sick of seeing RTM's from this thread...

@Kemble3 - as you've obviously ignored the request in the OP's post about not commenting if you're going to whinge and whine - I'm going to lay it on the line - no more, or you're on the naughty step for a few days...

Last edited:
and by that I mean nothing in this thread again BTW

okay, threads been hoovered bit... feel free to help the OP :)

Last edited:
First, the pictures on the link to UKAr, are superb, some of the best I've ever seen.....

Ok, hands up Bernie174 & BJCC are actually the same person, moi.

Simon
In answer to your questions, is it worth it? Yes, very. Most airshow displays for some reason especially the RAF display bottom (so as to speak) to the crowd. Obviously being in the so called naughty field that means you get the top side. This isn't always the best, but it is different.
The location itself is actually a number of places, from Grange Road(?) which runs parallel to the runway on top of the ridge in front of you if you are inside Duxford, to the field itself, and the field the other side of the M11. Depending on which of those you're in, depends on what you get.

The other side of the M11 for example, some nice turning shots, and, if landing that way, some good approach pictures.

Grange road, if thats what it's called is some way from the runway, but good pictures to be had of things turning in to fly towards the crowd.

The main field it's self, again, its big, and different places get you different shots, but thats where the pictures in the UKAR were taken, right down the front.

Most of those locations you would be OK with 300mm. More if you can would work as well.

The big plus is the sun location, its on the aircraft, not in your face, obviously thats a big plus.

On the moral issue, there's a lot of cobblers talked about it meaning that somehow Duxford will close. Unlikely as its often sold out when I've been in the field. In any case, I've paid to get in far far more times than I've been outside, so I don't have pangs of giult about it.

Is it dangerous? Not in my opinion, having been involved in aircraft accident planning, I can't see how it is any more dangerous than living in Duxford village, or driving on the M11. If an aircraft goes out of control, its going where it's going, that could equally be onto the M11, or the village. Less likely but possible into the crowd.

In short give it a try.

Bernie

First, the pictures on the link to UKAr, are superb, some of the best I've ever seen.....

Ok, hands up Bernie174 & BJCC are actually the same person, moi.

Bernie

LOL

I didn't even notice the little "Bernie" at the bottom of the post when I linked to it.

But, you are right, your pics are excellent (y).

Back