show me your landscape photography bag setup.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
i'm just starting out doing landscape stuff and would like to see what bags people use for their kit , or any quirky setups that would be useful to someone starting out lugging their kit around.
show off what ya got!!
Paul

I use the Lowepro Whistler BP 450 , holds everything I need for a long day out. above review is spot on

I currently use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-25...sr=1-1&keywords=lowepro+fastpack+bp+250+aw+ii but just got a larger tripod and can't really strap it anywhere to the bag so need to carry by hand. Also I recently built up a filter collection and could do with more space. I also want to be able to carry non-camera stuff for hiking.

I have been looking for another bag. A possibility I came up with is the Lowepro Whistler BP 350 or 450 but not sure if it will be too big for my needs - I'd want to avoid the temptation to carry too many lenses etc. The f-stop bags look ideal but the lack of availability of the ICUs puts me off.

In the meantime I ordered this just because it's cheap https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00T8RETUS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 edit: was 59.99 when I ordered.

Last edited:
For easy/short trips I use a small rucksack I bought a few years ago from 7dayshop (it was probably less then £20). For longer trips I use large 'walking' rucksack from Trespass(around £30-35).

Dave

Lowe pro Photo Sport 200 AW - great back pack and ideal for the smaller m4/3 kit that I'm currently using.

Simon.

Never managed to find a decent photo dedicated backpack despite trying many, including F stops etc. None have the excellent support/back systems that proper hiking rucksacs do so I went that way and bought a Lowe Alpine Airzone hiking rucksac with a large side pocket which takes a large padded insert which fits in my D800, filters, spare lens etc... loads of room for other gear in the top and as comfortable as it can be carrying all that weight around

Simon

I've moved on from considering the Lowepro whistler - I think it would not fit well and be too expensive for what it is. I've started exploring proper backpacks. I think my torso length is too long for the one-size fits all you get with 99.9% of camera specific bags. I'd quite like something with some means of fixing a 3l hydration pouch such that it doesn't cause condensation on gear and is out of the way if for some reason it leaks. I quite like the idea of maybe trying out camping too. I don't know how adventurous I might be in the future, but a means of holding an ice axe or two might be nice.

Ski packs look like a particularly good option as they have ways of strapping skis to the side so could fit a tripod. My current thinking is the Gregory Targhee 45 which is available in different torso lengths and the back opens like the F-stop bags and is probably the correct width to fit an F-stop ICU. Another that opens like the the F-stop bags is the Mammut Trion Pro 50+7 which someone posted pics of with an F-stop ICU on DPReview. The only downside to that is it comes in one torso size and isn't adjustable.

I went to Go Outdoors and looked at various backpacks, and the only thing that grabbed my interest was the Lowe Alpine Manaslu 55:65. The whole front of the bag opens up, albeit in two sections, which should make it easier to work with for photography purposes, and it has an adjustable torso length.

I've tried the dedicated photo rucksack approach but found it not ideal. The best was an FStop Satori but to be honest most photo rucksacks are expensive, relatively heavy and have an abundance of unnecessary straps and gizmos. Now I simply use a climbing rucksack (Crux AK50 which I bought for £12 in a charity shop) which is light and simple with plenty of room for photographic stuff and spare clothes etc. I carry my camera (Sony A7) with Batis 25mm lens in a Kinesis pouch which is either worn fixed to the shoulder straps of the rucksack with karabiners or in a drybag in the rucksack. 85mm Batis and filters, spare batteries, lens cloths etc live in a Lowepro S and F lens case. Tripod on outside of rucksack. For me this is the perfect set up and has taken a long time to evolve and get right.

As I said above I have a medium sized dedicated back pack and also regularly use a normal "hiking" rucksack with an insert depending on what I am doing. It's been interesting reading through this thread and it seems to be a case of “one size fits no one”, whatever system I use I am never entirely happy with it, seems to be about picking the best compromise for the activity. One thing that I got a few months ago and which I find really handy for a small camera is one of these clips which clips on to my rucksack strap. If you are snapping while you are walking, particularly in the fells in changing conditions, it saves missing the light because you had to stop and get the camera out.

I use a Billingham Hadley Small. Travel light.

Exactly what I use, it's fantastic. Fits my a7r, 24-70 f4 and 15mm Voighlander with room for spare battery, remote release and ND filters.

Depends which system I'm going to be using and whether or not I'll be taking anything over and above a landscape kit. If I'm going purely for landscapes, it'll sometimes be a LowePro Top Loader 75 (IIRC) with a UWA at the bottom and a walkaround fitted to the body at the top, either a Sigma 12-24 under a D70 and 24-120 f/4 or an XF 10-24 under an X-T1(or 2) with the XF 18-135. More likely is a fuller backpack with a few extra lenses and maybe an extra body (or 2!) as well.

I generally use any daysack that's big enough for what I need that day, and keep my camera body and lenses in separate protective pouches. Then it all goes inside a drybag. It's a very versatile way of adapting to longer/shorter days however when I'm out on the hills I always have a bag that I can attach my tripod to the side of. And as long as I can fit a flak of Yorkshire tea in it I don't care, often a stove and kettle too. :)

I use a Crumpler Pretty Boy Maxi - perfect size for the Bronica SQ-A with a lens attached, another in a protective case, a grip, and my tripod in a separate bag. Film, filters etc go in the front pocket. Sarnies on top!

I use the Manfrotto off road hiking and for lighter duties the Crumpler quick escape. I like the manfrotto but on big hikes it's not big enough to carry the non photographic gear.
You guys using regular backpack has made me think this could be the way forward. The Mammoth Trion might fit the bill.

Update.
This might work.
Mammut Trion pro 50+ and an Amazon basics backpack as the insert.

Last edited:
Back