Show us yer film shots then, shall we discuss it!!

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Now first of all this is not a rant or anything like that, can we please use this thread to do what it say,s.

It is very frustrating to read and look at the thread and find post after post about, developing and bloody Tesco's.

I would humbling request that if something starts to go off topic that a poster remembers to start a new topic and discuss the benefits of Tesco or alike somewhere else.

A big thank to all my F&C friends,

Over and out.

Richard.

Last edited:
It may also be nice for people to start their own photo threads here, I'm sure many absolute gems are hidden away in "Show us yer film shots then!". It would also be really interesting to see what everyone is shooting, how they're doing it and what they're shooting on.

Not sure I agree - down that route lies the slippery slope of criticism and moved threads.

I don't think I've ever witnessed the fair folk of F&C giving criticism that was anything other than constructive. You have a point with the potential for threads being moved, but it may just be worth a shot, we won't get a photo sharing forum :(.

I would bet money on the fact that any separate photo sharing threads posted in F&C would soon be moved to the other photo sharing parts of the forum.

Not sure I agree - down that route lies the slippery slope of criticism and moved threads.

Personally, Arthur, I'd be happy for people within F&C to offer critique (critique mind - not just criticism!) on any of my shots. I know I COULD post for critique within the other sections, but as we know, even if you start the post with "Shot on Black and White 1600 ISO Film - please don't ask for colour versions, HDR's or complain about it being NOISEY" that's exactly the feedback you'll get! Now, within F&C I know that most people know a damned sight more about films/processing/photography in general/art/composition and pretty much everything to do with film photography than I do - so I'd get sensible critique.

I do agree, there would probably end up being a whole bunch of threads moved wholesale, but i'm sure that there would be plenty of critique (helpful positive feedback and hints as to how to improve - even if it's "wait for the light and re-shoot") and not a great deal of criticism ("you're crap, and you know you are...")

Who knows - if we cause enough work having to move a dozen threads a day, maybe they'll decide that there IS a requirement for a photo-sharing branch for the F&C wierdies!

Again I'd bet money that if we got our own photo sharing area or were allowed to do it here there would be outcries form hard done by digital shooters asking for brand specific photo sharing areas.

Again, you may be right Kev... I just don't like sitting around moaning about it, without at least trying to do something.

And I really WOULD like to get some critique on my shots, because I really feel I made a lot of progress in 2009 (partly because of doing a photo-365 and HAVING to shoot something every day) but this year I feel like i've been marking time and getting frustrated. Maybe I'll come up with a retrospective for in here, ask for a bit of critique, and see where it ends up getting moved to :LOL:

Last edited:
The thing with crits is it's hard to know what level posters are trying to achieve. Someone starting out in film may have a mediocre image that is perfectly exposed, developed and in sharp focus. The picture may be nothing special but for them it's an absolute triumph. Getting heavy on aesthetics and composition might turn them right off photography and the board. Then there's the matter of taste - one man's meat...

It's safer to stick to techncal appraisal and criticism than value judgements which are always going to be subjective. I'll say I like someone's image because it just 'get's me' and is no reflection on other people's who I'll admire and pass without comment.

The thing with crits is it's hard to know what level posters are trying to achieve. Someone starting out in film may have a mediocre image that is perfectly exposed, developed and in sharp focus. The picture may be nothing special but for them it's an absolute triumph. Getting heavy on aesthetics and composition might turn them right off photography and the board. Then there's the matter of taste - one man's meat...

It's safer to stick to techncal appraisal and criticism than value judgements which are always going to be subjective. I'll say I like someone's image because it just 'get's me' and is no reflection on other people's who I'll admire and pass without comment.

True - normally if I was to post for critique, I'd say im the post what I was looking for -e.g. "I know this isn't particularly spot on in colour balance, and I've missed correct exposure by maybe a 1/3 stop - but i've posted this out of camera, mainly to see what people come up with in terms of crops etc." or "I know it'll require a re-shoot (don't worry it's half a mile from where I live) , but has anyone any ideas as to improving the composition on this"

***Now first of all this is not a rant or anything like that, can we please use this thread to do what it say,s.***

LOL it's gone off topic after #2. Anyway I see no problem going off topic for something fairly important in the original thread as it's happened before but always gone back to posted film shots.

I guess what we need are threads that are obviously F&C specific, perhaps this could be done by mentioning specifics about development, film or even scanning. If the questions can only be answered by people who visit this section it will rightfully belong here.

I don't see an issue with the film shots thread going a bit off topic, its just developing as a conversation would, where you show a photo and someone asks about the development etc. But i see the need for additional threads about development etc.

Last edited:
No problem, if it were a single film shot posted, but when it's a general shot thread then really it should be kept as such. IMHO that is, but who am I to say anything when I suspect I may be guilty of said comments in the thread :D

Having just wadded through post after post on this thread, I think we have reverted back to using the thread for posts other than "show us your film shots",
Lets be careful out there.:LOL::D

Is it just me that finds it confusing that there are two threads with Identical Titles about "showing us yer film shots" ?

Got the email notification of a new entry, and was horrified to see last posting was #17 not #3329

perhaps you could swap this threads title to "Show us yer film shots then! - Discussion" - I'm sure my cardiologist would appreciate it :LOL:

Is it just me that finds it confusing that there are two threads with Identical Titles about "showing us yer film shots" ?

Got the email notification of a new entry, and was horrified to see last posting was #17 not #3329

perhaps you could swap this threads title to "Show us yer film shots then! - Discussion" - I'm sure my cardiologist would appreciate it :LOL:

Your word is my ECG.(y)

I enjoy this thread as it is ... whatever it is ATM.

I am a newbie though, so my view on the forum and sections is maybe a bit different to the 'old timers' ? I enjoy looking at an image - maybe wondering about this and that, so when it goes off topic a bit to explain, or discuss, I find that interesting too.

after all .... it's real easy to scroll past the text , until the next image !

EDIT :> now I am getting confused ! ... I thought I posted this in the other thread !

Last edited:
I enjoy this thread as it is ... whatever it is ATM.

I am a newbie though, so my view on the forum and sections is maybe a bit different to the 'old timers' ? I enjoy looking at an image - maybe wondering about this and that, so when it goes off topic a bit to explain, or discuss, I find that interesting too.

after all .... it's real easy to scroll past the text , until the next image !

EDIT :> now I am getting confused ! ... I thought I posted this in the other thread !

I'm afraid I'm a prime candidate for taking the real "show us yer..." thread off at tangents and waffling on about things. To be honest I LIKE IT when my shots provoke a comment or two, and would hate to think I couldn't comment on other peoples shots either. As we can't get a film shots section in the photo-sharing area, it's the only place I can post my photos and not get dumb-ass comments about a shot being "noisy" or asking to see a colour version of a FP4+ image...

I find the 'show us' thread a bit too broad to be honest. A click can throw up virtually any kind of image, from a film or lens test shot to 5 x 4" architecture to spoilt developer images. It would be good to see categories but maybe they're dealt with elsewhere on the board.

That's one of the things I like about it :)

Indeed; so do I.

And I love the discussion too, even the off-tangent ones. TBH; the whole purpose of being here, for me anyways, is to have a nice chat on this, that, and the other.

I certainly don't like it when I go to the trouble of posting shots, and they pass by without any comment whatsoever - feels like i've completely wasted my time taking them :(

I certainly don't like it when I go to the trouble of posting shots, and they pass by without any comment whatsoever - feels like i've completely wasted my time taking them :(

Surely Mark, you haven't wasted your time taking them - unless you took the shot only for the reason of posting it here. And, I am sure you take most photos for your, and only your, pleasure.

Of course, with out any comment, posting it here could seem like a waste of time. I didn't realise you felt so strongly about it. From now on, I'll try to tell you how they seem to me, Mark.

there is another side to this. I for example don't comment everything as not to overflow the topic with my comments. I just in my mind look at the pics and like them.

If you want to boost your confidence take the shots to flickr, put anything in tags, preferably 100+ add it to every pool and wait for the awards and junk like that to come. :LOL:
Just joking of course, I know how you feel ! :)

No offense like, but considering your last two posts have been of a seat, a sign and ya bike, there isn't always that much to comment on. I like 456's as much as the next guy but...

Again,not meaning to be rude :)

No offense like, but considering your last two posts have been of a seat, a sign and ya bike, there isn't always that much to comment on. I like 456's as much as the next guy but...

Again,not meaning to be rude :)

And yet, they recieved some very pleasant comments, for which I'm grateful to the people who did choose to comment. My last couple of shots were just a few frames from a test roll for a new camera body - the rest being standard setups from my local area which I know inside out, and use as a benchmark from one camera to another. I apologise for not having fantastic vistas of sunset light glinting on the snow-tipped 7000m peaks or vast herds of majestic Wildebeest sweeping across the plains in my shots, but these things are in short supply in West Yorkshire mate :) Still - I'm sure your next photo's will be utterly fascinating, and will make up for my shortcomings :D

I've never made any secret of the fact that I consider myself to be somewhere between poor and useless at photography - I do however try - and looking back on things I shot 18 months ago, and comparing them to now, I can definitely see I've improved a little. I believe that the best way I can improve is to receive feedback on the photo's I take - preferably from people who understand the medium they have been shot upon - therefore if I get any critique from persons within F&C I find it's far more targeted to what I need to do to improve, rather than what I've been given in the other photo sharing areas. Sadly, I don't really have anyone around me that I can get feedback from on shots - most of my mates are philistines in that respect, apart from one, who's an ex-pro and rips the **** out of everything I show him without suggesting how it could be improved... So, It was with a certain amount of delight when I found that some people on here would actually help me to improve... Of course, now I know the "Pazzazz Nazi's" have a watching brief, I'd better ensure that I only post things that are a little more interesting in future :shrug:

Last edited:
- therefore if I get any critique from persons within F&C I find it's far more targeted to what I need to do to improve, rather than what I've been given in the other photo sharing areas.

I have to be honest here, but I've very rarely posted comments on other people's pictures on this forum and don't always see them anyway, but many of the ones I have looked at were excellent. The reason for this is as I don't post any up myself, I feel it looks a bit cheeky to comment on someone else's. I am certainly not a pro, and I have produced my fair share of rubbish as well as reasonable images, but if you're happy to receive comments, I'll try and oblige.

My last couple of shots were just a few frames from a test roll for a new camera body - the rest being standard setups from my local area which I know inside out, and use as a benchmark from one camera to another.

How come you'd get so upset by nobody commenting on some camera tests? :thinking:

How come you'd get so upset by nobody commenting on some camera tests? :thinking:

I've already said - people did comment... and I thanked them for their time... I was not upset in the slightest about the particular images you chose to pick up on "being ignored" - I just think that it would be a bad thing if the "show us" thread became a place where people were unwilling to comment on images for fear of "taking the thread off topic" Is that so hard to understand :shrug:

Would rather see your images though ;)

I would like to sometime in the near future. Unfortunately at present, I don't have a film scanner. I actually did post up a thread some months back asking for recommendations but I've had some issues with my computer and my plans got put on hold, so to speak. I'll probably end up replacing it and hopefully buy the scanner at the same time. However, my computer knowledge is extremely limited to say the least, so it may prove to be quite a challenge for me in trying to drag myself into the 21st century as it were. :(

Back