Show us yer film shots then!

@ Alan

really enjoy #1....quintessential ''lone walk over the moors''

going to buy some Ilford XP2 asap too

Cheers (y)

I think you'll like XP2, all of the shots on that film I also did on digital. They took several hours of tinkering to get how I like, then a week later I pick up my developed film, and they already look right straight out the envelope!

These are print scans so I tried my best to clean them up.

scan0028c.jpg

scan0033h.jpg

scan0036n.jpg

scan0050z.jpg

scan0053.jpg

scan0056o.jpg

Film used: Ektar 100, 400TX (either shot at stock speed or pushed one stop).

Cameras used: Nikon F3HP + 50/1.8, Rolleiflex 75/3.5 Tessar, Hexar AF

Cheers (y)

I think you'll like XP2, all of the shots on that film I also did on digital. They took several hours of tinkering to get how I like, then a week later I pick up my developed film, and they already look right straight out the envelope!

interesting that.......just got a new lens for my Canon A-1 that everyone clacks on about

the 35-105mm f3.5 FDn ....so hoping for some clear weather on the weekend - following a bloody snowfall a few days ago - welcome to Springtime in Scotland ....:(

new lambs in the fields here - warm womb to icy snow - some wake-up call ...!!

ETRS standard 75mm....great lens for 3d effect, bokeh and sharpness:-

ETRS-800px.jpg

Fruitflakes - what's the story behind the first one? very captivating

Fruitflakes - what's the story behind the first one? very captivating

Last Summer at Shakespeare's Globe they had a production of Macbeth, and one interesting feature was a black cloth that covered the standing area, which represented Hell. Braver members of the audience poked their heads through that cloth, and actors ran around under that cloth scaring people by pickpocketing them (which was rather funny) or popping out in adjacent slits all bloodied and screaming.

Ektar 100, 30 seconds, f/8
Mamiya RB67 Pro S, Mamiya Sekor C 90mm

The trip out to the harbour on Sunday night was in response to this story in the local paper (discuss elsewhere if you want, let's not clutter up this thread).

Hi Alastair,

How did you get the colours so balanced in this? Whenever I use film at night I end up with odd colour casts due to the rubbish lights. Was it just a case of there not being any other lights around, or was there a trick :cautious::cautious:

Great picture btw (y), I'd have been tempeted to crop some more out of the road but thats just me

Can't remember If I had posted this image or not but here goes :)

Pen800.jpg

Last Summer at Shakespeare's Globe they had a production of Macbeth, and one interesting feature was a black cloth that covered the standing area, which represented Hell. Braver members of the audience poked their heads through that cloth, and actors ran around under that cloth scaring people by pickpocketing them (which was rather funny) or popping out in adjacent slits all bloodied and screaming.
Thanks, I knew there had to be a story behind it,
Hi Alastair,

How did you get the colours so balanced in this? Whenever I use film at night I end up with odd colour casts due to the rubbish lights. Was it just a case of there not being any other lights around, or was there a trick :cautious::cautious:
Lightroom. I scan the negatives and then clean them-up in Lightroom. And I'm quite comfortable making full use of the hybrid process to try and balance the colours if artificial light is involved. Multiple light sources of different colour temperature and characteristic are a pain, where I can't avoid this situation I'll balance on an average and then have a play about until they look the least bad. Generally I'll correct for the worst (sodium or mercury vapour) and hope the others tend towards a slight blueness(always looks best) rather than yellow or green.
Great picture btw (y), I'd have been tempeted to crop some more out of the road but thats just me
Thanks.. It was a deliberate choice to go with an expanse of road rather than an expanse of bare sky or a contrived balance of the two. I'm being influenced by a contact on Flickr to try and frame my shots a little less conventionally than I used to do.

I really want to get behind that fence and shoot some more of the handling equipment on the quayside. Ideally with full, independent control of the floodlights.

Lightroom. I scan the negatives and then clean them-up in Lightroom. And I'm quite comfortable making full use of the hybrid process to try and balance the colours if artificial light is involved.

I think for colour work, especially in these situations then hybrid is a great route to go. I'm still not convinced by hybrid B+W though, I just don't seem to be able to get as good results as with the colour stuff

Tuco, do you have a website or flickr page where all your work is in one place? Would love to see it :)

Edit: cancel that, :D just clicked on the photo

Last edited:
Asahi Pentax Spotmatic + Takumar 55mm F1.8 / Kodak Tri-X 400 - D-76 1:1

I am busy trying to develop film, scan (yuk!) and get some pics up of my gear (so little time...)

Contoured Wood

Ecclesall Road-- Tailors window - Something must have caught my eye!

Tailor's Maid

5542109577_71521c0875.jpg

Last edited:
Shot and developed my first roll of film at the weekend! :D

I love that moment just before you open the tank when you think "this can't possibly have worked, i've just spent half an hour rinsing something i don't even think i loaded correctly with something that is mostly water". Turned out okay though (well, the film, my skills as a photographer leave a lot to be desired but we can work on that ;) ). Scanner seemed to see them as colour and there's no setting to change it so it threw the contrast way off, just played around with it in GIMP until they looked passable.

Rollei RPX 100, Rodinal

Vrp9L.png

R2bmx.png

I think these two were done with my Industar 50-2, brilliant lens - think this will be my walkabout when there's enough light. The rest were done with the Fujica f2.2 55mm that came with the camera (ST605n):

6klAq.png

iIe2K.png

cJczC.png

kJqJm.png

More here:

http://ewan.imgur.com/all/

Super', well done - that's a nice set. I think it can be even better with just a little 'jinking' :

Can you post your developing times and mixes please for the Rollei and the Rodinal ( post the whole process please)

Thanks

Thanks! I know they could be better, but by the time i'd got them all scanned i didn't want to put too much effort into it.

All the chemicals are Firstcall Photographic own brand, definitely recommend them (used AG Plus fix). This is what i worked out, a lot of it was just guesswork, like the wash in between stop and fix:

7luSL.jpg

And before you ask, 2:1 is the ratio of Hydrogen to Oxygen ;)

^^ Thanks Super'

Try this the next time:

Rollei Retro 100 (Agfa APX 100)

Rodinal 1:50 - 13 mins 20c. Aggitate first 30secs then 3 inverts every 30 secs (don't forget to tap to release bubbles)

Empty, then cold water for 30 secs (aggitating all the time)

Empty, then Fix for 5mins 18/20C - aggitate 30 secs the every 30 secs

Empty, then 10 mins cold water (after 5 mins turn the reel upside down in the water)

Empty, then Photoflo (3 drops filled with cold water - drop film in and aggitate for 30 secs.

Done

Last edited:
...And before you ask, 2:1 is the ratio of Hydrogen to Oxygen ;)

Reminds me of a cautionary tale regarding not eating or drinking in the school Laboratory...

As seen on a Local Headstone...

Here Lies a Lab Assistant
They Found Him on the Floor
for What he Thought was H20
Was H2SO4
Could end up like Poor old Sean O'Cold ;) (Check the toe-tag!)

(apologies for the non-film shot, but couldn't resist it! )

Last edited:
Shot and developed my first roll of film at the weekend! :D

Vrp9L.png

SMC Pentax 55mm f4, Yellow Filter, Kodak 125PX

Reminds me of a cautionary tale regarding not eating or drinking in the school Laboratory...

Could end up like Poor old Sean O'Cold ;) (Check the toe-tag!)

(apologies for the non-film shot, but couldn't resist it! )

Asahi Pentax Spotmatic + Takumar 55mm F1.8 / Kodak Tri-X 400 - D-76 1:1

I am busy trying to develop film, scan (yuk!) and get some pics up of my gear (so little time...)

Contoured Wood

Ecclesall Road-- Tailors window - Something must have caught my eye!

Tailor's Maid

5542109577_71521c0875.jpg

Messing around with flashes and sparklers

SMC Pentax 55mm f4, Kodak 125PXP

Super', well done - that's a nice set. I think it can be even better with just a little 'jinking' :

Can you post your developing times and mixes please for the Rollei and the Rodinal ( post the whole process please)

Thanks

Not sure I got this right, but brilliant to you all and Mark as usual you make me smile.;). Yes just previewed and it,s correct.

A very cold winters evening just prior to Christmas.

Nikon FM2n + 35mm F2 - TriX 400 @ 1600 in D76 1:1

Harrogate Theatre Sign

5547775214_190fc5ba90_o.jpg

An old Elmar 50mm 3.5 lens was used for this picture (giving it a 1920's look - I think)

Agfa APX 100 @ 100 in Ilfotec LC29 - 1:19 x 7.5 mins @20c

Doorman at a hotel in Sheffield,UK.

Friendly Greeting

5552146723_192073c750_o.jpg

Nikon FE2 (See this thread : http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=295127 ) - Nikon Nikkor 50mm F2 Ai - Agfa APX (see details above - developed in the same tank)

In a window on The Moor. Sheffield. UK

Just Not Fair.

5552849448_57eaf335e0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! I know they could be better, but by the time i'd got them all scanned i didn't want to put too much effort into it.

All the chemicals are Firstcall Photographic own brand, definitely recommend them (used AG Plus fix). This is what i worked out, a lot of it was just guesswork, like the wash in between stop and fix:

7luSL.jpg

And before you ask, 2:1 is the ratio of Hydrogen to Oxygen ;)

Curious to know why the wash between dev and stop and stop/fix? Stop bath as it's name suggests stops development as soon as it touches the film, water is not strong enough and development will continue past the time.

Last edited:
I don't think you have anything to be intimidated about Javier, I always look forward to seeing whats going down on the streets of LA.

Andy

Stop bath as it's name suggests stops development as soon as it touches the film, water is not strong enough and development will continue past the time.

Some developers specifically tell you to use water for a stop bath (eg PMK Pyro). When you use water for a stop bath, you dilute your developer strength so much that most of them are effectively doing insignificant developing on your negative by time you fix it.

Curious to know why the wash between dev and stop and stop/fix? Stop bath as it's name suggests stops development as soon as it touches the film, water is not strong enough and development will continue past the time.

Hence the question mark next to it, i wasn't sure if it was necessary - but i figured that the stop might effect the fix or something and figured that it couldn't hurt to try.

Behave yourself Javier :D - I love the shots of LA life, so as the song says 'Don't stop'

I Remember When...

5552849384_df14599d84_o.jpg

Looking at photographs in a shop window - long may it last!
Sheffield. UK.

Spec' as 2nd picture in post # 4214

17:55 (GMT) Sorry I got called away mid-upload!

Birds

5552264409_a9e1b3c448_b.jpg

A boarding at the side of an exhibition office in Sheffield. UK

Last edited:
Hence the question mark next to it, i wasn't sure if it was necessary - but i figured that the stop might effect the fix or something and figured that it couldn't hurt to try.

Stop will prolong the life of fixer.
Dev is alkaline, fix is acid, so if you don't use stop it shortens the life of the fixer as you are adding alkaline developer to acidic fix.

Unless you are using Pyro as suggested above, it really isn't necessary, and stop lasts for ages, use it until it turns to purple, which will take a very long time.

Stop will prolong the life of fixer.
Dev is alkaline, fix is acid, so if you don't use stop it shortens the life of the fixer as you are adding alkaline developer to acidic fix.

Unless you are using Pyro as suggested above, it really isn't necessary, and stop lasts for ages, use it until it turns to purple, which will take a very long time.

I do use stop, we were just discussing the short wash stage between the stop and fix stages that i used. Although i assume it's not just the ph level that makes the chemicals do what they do?

I must admit that it is intimidating posting in this thread, but here goes. Cheap and cheasy 99 cents film through my sp2 and 35mm super tak

Cookies anyone

:LOL: Your stuff is always welcome in here Javier and i have just had coffee and cookies nom nom nom

I've just been having a play with vuescan for the first time... MILES better than standard scanner software! one I never bothered with from the holls:

lakesnet.jpg

Portra 160NC

Last edited:
Back