Show us yer film shots then!

Well, it seems like you're off to a good start.:)

Hopefully many more rolls to come!

Thats properly beautiful, it has a real timeless quality to it. Very nice work squire.

Welcome aboard John and a stunning shot to introduce yourself, a classic car and a classic film shot.

Andy

Thankyou, I've come to realise already that the Mamiya isn't really practical for walking around with, no metering and 1/500 max shutter speed. So I've bought a Minolta X700 with a 45mm f2 aswell now
View attachment 21872

Last edited:
Thankyou, I've come to realise already that the Mamiya isn't really practical for walking around with, no metering and 1/500 max shutter speed. View attachment 21872

Not practical? None of my cameras offer metering of any kind or shutter speeds any faster than 1/500. :)

Neither of those things are really necessary if you're shooting black and white or colour negative. There's plenty of latitude to cover you as long as you err on the side of overexposure.

So I've bought a Minolta X700 with a 45mm f2 aswell now
View attachment 21872

I like the colours in this shot. (y)

15428312175_0d6156a9ab_c.jpg

Portrait of a Cambridge Busker on Flickr

Bronica SQ-A camera
Zenzanon PS 150mm f/4 lens
Ilford HP5 Plus medium format film
Home developed in R09
Scanned film Epson Perfection V500

A great, great shot.

I
Thankyou, I've come to realise already that the Mamiya isn't really practical for walking around with, no metering and 1/500 max shutter speed. So I've bought a Minolta X700 with a 45mm f2 aswell now
View attachment 21872

I use the Minolta X700 myself (with 50mm f/1.7 MD, and 28mm f/2.8 MD lenses). A great camera, with beautiful under-rated glass available :)

Not practical? None of my cameras offer metering of any kind or shutter speeds any faster than 1/500. :)

Neither of those things are really necessary if you're shooting black and white or colour negative. There's plenty of latitude to cover you as long as you err on the side of overexposure

I just feel that I have to put the extra thought into exposure that sometimes I'd miss the shot I wanted, and also the size and weight of the Mamiya. Don't get me wrong I still love using it though

I just feel that I have to put the extra thought into exposure that sometimes I'd miss the shot I wanted, and also the size and weight of the Mamiya. Don't get me wrong I still love using it though

Yeah, the size and weight can certainly make medium format less convenient.

I wouldn't stress too much about exposure though, you'll find that colour negative has a lot of latitude; it's really hard to mess it up. Just experiment by overexposing a few frames by 3-5 stops and you'll see what I mean.

I wouldn't stress too much about exposure though, you'll find that colour negative has a lot of latitude; it's really hard to mess it up. Just experiment by overexposing a few frames by 3-5 stops and you'll see what I mean.

Well it was my first roll of film ever, I was shooting 400 film and wanting a wide aperture so the shutter speed was maxed, I just waited for the sun to go down a bit. I'll have a go at overexposing some next time (y) I've also got some 160 film to try aswell

I'll follow on from Mr Snap with another steem twain shot. I seem to have an obsession with taking photos of steam loco valve gear!

http://i.imgur.com/j7vSPAM9.jpg

I am not a fan of trains but this shot is really excellent. The composition, exposure and use of DoF all add up to an image I have looked at for ages. Scan is very impressive too!

One from the Rolleicord Va, now in the caring hands of Adrian (Jao). I had dismissed this set as they hadn't developed properly but then I realised that it was just they hadn't had long enough in the fixer... so back in they went and they came out ok.

Wastwater1 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Andy

View attachment 21885

Mines Rescue Man doing his confined space training.
I've trained confined space both with Mines rescue and Tyco a number of times (production team leader and AP in a renewable energy power station) - so I love seeing your photos. Unfortunately my employers like to keep tight reins on external image - so I have to restrain from this sort of photography in the workplace.

I've trained confined space both with Mines rescue and Tyco a number of times (production team leader and AP in a renewable energy power station) - so I love seeing your photos. Unfortunately my employers like to keep tight reins on external image - so I have to restrain from this sort of photography in the workplace.

Hi Paul,
This was taken at Mansfield Mines Rescue Station in the basement training area. I suppose if employers keep a tight lid on things then nobody can pick fault with their methods, shame though!

Ish, I couldn't do that, this is not average joe's idea of a confined space, a lift is a confined space, but that crawlin down pipes as narrow as that is...uh...like potholing, hellas can't see the attraction, it'd give me nightmares.

anyway, I've been printing, dust is a problem at the moment, too many surfaces to keep clean.

These are 12x12 on 12x16 rc, 6x6 doesn't crop at all well to oblong, so there's gonna be waste :/

2qs2syb.jpg

33vghar.jpg

9k32b6.jpg

sm81t0.jpg

2r3a6tc.jpg

a couple of 10x8's, much easier to deal with if the subject allows oblong crop. :)

34s07bp.jpg

One from the Rolleicord Va, now in the caring hands of Adrian (Jao). I had dismissed this set as they hadn't developed properly but then I realised that it was just they hadn't had long enough in the fixer... so back in they went and they came out ok.

Andy
Good work Andy, my favourite of all the lakes.

I can't wait to go shoot more film, I have a feeling of excitement just thinking about it. Been doing a lot of internet reading on the subject of pushing and pulling film and standing development, fancy trying them just to see what happens, will make sure it's on a film that is not important though. Ordered several boxes of Ilford HP 5 and 3 of Tri X along with 3 more Rera Pan 127 100 so well stocked for my holiday. If it's ok tomorrow weather wise think I will use a roll or two so I can practice the home development bit again. Any hints and tips on pushing and pulling film and standing development would be great.

Andy

Very nice Andy I also like your low viewpoint.
I am interested in the fact you put the negatives back in the fixer, can I ask what made you think to do that? Perhaps a strange question but I had not realised you could put film back into any of the solutions once it had been removed or is this when your developing the photographs you can do it. Sorry don't want to appear thick but it's all new to me as you know.

Last edited:
@Crtm

I can't remember exactly who or where but it was on a thread in here that someone mentioned putting negs back into the fixer if they come out cloudy. I had devved these a month ago and it still worked.:)

@Crtm

I can't remember exactly who or where but it was on a thread in here that someone mentioned putting negs back into the fixer if they come out cloudy. I had devved these a month ago and it still worked.:)

Oh that's handy to know, I will see if I can locate it or find it through Google. Had not realised this could be done even after a month quite surprising considering everything else to do with developing film is a science!

Oh that's handy to know, I will see if I can locate it or find it through Google. Had not realised this could be done even after a month quite surprising considering everything else to do with developing film is a science!

Science, nah more like majik.

You shouldn't need to refix a film, only if your fixer is exhausted or you didn't have it in long enough.

Have you seen the stuff on fixer clearing tests that help you determine fix time and the condition of the fixer.

Science, nah more like majik.

You shouldn't need to refix a film, only if your fixer is exhausted or you didn't have it in long enough.

Have you seen the stuff on fixer clearing tests that help you determine fix time and the condition of the fixer.

No I haven't but will look it up although I had realised you could keep fixer to reuse, was not sure for how long or how many times you could use it.

Might get in to trouble if I continue this conversation in this thread. Lol

I think mine was getting a bit past it which is why it needed to be in longer.

@steveo_mcg I haven't seen those, have you a link?

No I haven't but will look it up although I had realised you could keep fixer to reuse, was not sure for how long or how many times you could use it.

Might get in to trouble if I continue this conversation in this thread. Lol
I think mine was getting a bit past it which is why it needed to be in longer.

@steveo_mcg I haven't seen those, have you a link?

This is kinda the gold standard, http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/fixer exhaustion.html

But I generally just stick a clip in a clear vessel and time it till it goes clear, fix time is double clear time plus a minute (roughly) . When it gets to about two minutes to clear I start to think about making up a fresh batch, a few films later I might...

I'm pretty sure when I got to 15 minutes in the fixer I decided that was too long and mixed up a new batch.

Me too have left a film in exhausted fixer for a long time....but something in my remaining brain cells lreminds me from the past that leaving a film in a fixer too long is detrimental to the image....maybe someone can confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

I am not a fan of trains but this shot is really excellent. The composition, exposure and use of DoF all add up to an image I have looked at for ages. Scan is very impressive too!

Thanks Adrian, very much appreciated! :)

@joxby Those prints look absolutely stunning on the screen, they must look wonderful 'in the flesh'. That first one especially jumps out to me compositionally, absolutely superb.

Last edited:
Me too have left a film in exhausted fixer for a long time....but something in my remaining brain cells lreminds me from the past that leaving a film in a fixer too long is detrimental to the image....maybe someone can confirm whether I'm right or wrong.

You can't really over fix, if the fixer is the correct dilution you'd have to leave it in there for days rather than hours to see any degradation...:)

Last edited:
@PMN

Thanks Paul, you can't tell from the photo but the first one is warmtone RC, never used it before, its been a revelation.
Tried to fill a 16x12 with it but it just will not crop oblong without looking cramped one way or the other.

@joxby

John,

Those last two in my opinion are top class photographs,worthy of any size prints for the wall or collection,just brilliant.(y)

Photographing the Photographers in Cambridge

Bronica SQ-A camera
Zenzanon PS 150mm f/4 lens
Ilford HP5 Plus
R09
Epson Perfection V500

Paul,

Last time I think I said you are becoming a great street photographer,well you have become one, those are great in every way. The style,contrast,composition and activity in both is just wonderful

Maidstone,Kent.

F100, Nikkor 35-70mm, Ektar 100Asa.

Last edited:
Paul,

Last time I think I said you are becoming a great street photographer,well you have become one, those are great in every way. The style,contrast,composition and activity in both is just wonderful
Aww Richard, you made me blush. I don't really get enough time in towns or cities to really crack into it. Just uploaded another. This one a wee bit under developed, but the scanner and Gimp helped:

Same Bronica / HP5 gear as above, but taken in Norwich.

Big thanks to Andy (@Andysnap ) for a really lovely Rolleicord Va II, haven't quite worked the age out yet, it's either late 1959 or early 1960.
I had a very busy day yesterday being the taxi driver and 'gofer' for my teenage daughter! I was keen to try oput the Rolleicord though and while fulfilling that duty I grabbed the odd shot to try out the Rollei. The film was Shanghai GP3 and I dev'd it is some probably passed its best LC29 @1-19. Being particularly time poor this weekend I didn't give the development or subsequent scanning the attention I usually employ, indeed I was quite hasty and haphazard in the whole endeavor. Given these were just random grab shots while performing parental duties, I was very pleased with the camera and pleasantly surprised by the GP3!

15259685230_a03d9199b0_c.jpg

15259620630_9218fb7b78_c.jpg

15423241626_3f46d14ae0_c.jpg

15446338675_03b49a3771_c.jpg

15423231646_f5775b133c_c.jpg

They've turned out very well Adrian. Did you have any shutter non fires?

They've turned out very well Adrian. Did you have any shutter non fires?
Thanks Andy, I was pleased. I did have a couple but I know what the problem is, it will be very straight forward to solve, but I will get Brian M to do it for me. I think the Xenar lens on this camera is nicer than the one on my 1957 Rolleicord V, so when it gets back from Brian, it will be my everyday shooter!

Last edited:
Back