Show us yer film shots then!

Stanley is just on the outskirts of Wakefield ( heading out towards Leeds iirc)….and Stanley Ferry is an area that resembles your photo with boats. barges….or at least it did last time i saw the place 15 years ago!!

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=stanley...-17&sk=&cvid=A3F46386E4F74488A16105EC048B26FC

Ah, thanks. I don’t know Wakefield well - we just went for a day trip. I’ll bear Stanley Feery in mind as a possible future photo subject though, thanks. :)

This is the location of my photo.

Dropped pin
Near Wakefield

https://goo.gl/maps/2C82RgKdE3G2

Not sure what / where Stanley Ferry is Asha. This is the River Calder at Wakefield, just across from the Hepworth gallery.

So now that you know of its whereabouts, I expect to see your photos of the area to show wether it has changed over the years

Just to add that on the main road between Stanley and Wakefield center is (was) a pyschiatric hospital ( Fieldhead i think it's called)
It's the modern version of its ancient predessesor located pretty much alongside the new building…..If it's abandonned and accessable then it may offer some interesting photo opoortunities.
This is assuming that the buildingstill stands.
I can't for the life of me recall the original hospital name.
EDIT: Stanley Royd Hospital: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Royd_Hospital
DOUBLE EDIT: Seems like my idea of old derelict building photos is a non starter: "hospital went into a period of decline and eventually closed in 1995.[1] The hospital has since been converted for residential use and is now known as Parklands Manor." Source Wikipedia

Last edited:
Couple of Darkroom Prints on old ILFOSPEED Glossy Grade 2 done with my Canon AE-1 + Tokina AT-X Zoom 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 and experimenting with outdated Ilford HP5 + in Crawley's Formula FX-4 1+1 . Scanner was HP Scanjet 4570 + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer.
A-1 HP5+ FX-4 01.jpgA-1 HP5+ FX-4 02.jpg

I recently acquired an XA2 which being more simplistic in use than the XA is ideal when out cycling as it is light, small ish and pretty much a p&s camera which can be used easy enough even with gloved hands and without having to spend time adjusting settings.

I was eager to run a roll of Ilford delta 400 through it to see how it coped with the usual very sharp contrasty lighting that we have down here during the day so out on the bike I went…...

It meters reasonably well I think.
There is a lot of grain in the images which does them no favours but as snap shots of my "travels" I think it will suffice.
I may try 100 asa to reduce the grain but it may well effect the amount of Dof that I get with the faster film.

Anyway I've made a start scanning and here's one of the results which shows my journey towards the small village of Moulinet from Sospel ( where I live) with L'Authion at 1900m ( excess of 6000ft ) in the distance to the left, covered in snow that fell last weekend with the severe storms that we encountered ( It was virtually clear of snow all through March with the un seasonal warm weather)

There are telegraph line, pylons etc which aren't always pleasing to the eye but most of these shots that I plan on posting are predominantly a way of sharing the area in which I live with you guys …...If you'd sooner I didn't bother then say so and save me the effort!! LOL

Moulinet et L'Authion copie TP.jpg

Several kms out of Sospel looking over to the French / Italien border.
The mountain ridge on the skyline RHS seperates the two countries, rising up from Menton down on the coast, passing just a few kms East of Sospel and continuing Northwards following the line of the "Roya" valley.

Sospel 6km vers  Col de Brouis Towards Italien borderTP.jpg

I recently acquired an XA2 which being more simplistic in use than the XA is ideal when out cycling as it is light, small ish and pretty much a p&s camera which can be used easy enough even with gloved hands and without having to spend time adjusting settings.

I was eager to run a roll of Ilford delta 400 through it to see how it coped with the usual very sharp contrasty lighting that we have down here during the day so out on the bike I went…...

It meters reasonably well I think.
There is a lot of grain in the images which does them no favours but as snap shots of my "travels" I think it will suffice.
I may try 100 asa to reduce the grain but it may well effect the amount of Dof that I get with the faster film.

Anyway I've made a start scanning and here's one of the results which shows my journey towards the small village of Moulinet from Sospel ( where I live) with L'Authion at 1900m ( excess of 6000ft ) in the distance to the left, covered in snow that fell last weekend with the severe storms that we encountered ( It was virtually clear of snow all through March with the un seasonal warm weather)

There are telegraph line, pylons etc which aren't always pleasing to the eye but most of these shots that I plan on posting are predominantly a way of sharing the area in which I live with you guys …...If you'd sooner I didn't bother then say so and save me the effort!! LOL

View attachment 241742

I’d expect that, unless you’re including foreground interest and setting the camera to one of the close focus zones, that 100asa film should give you plenty of dof without any camera shake if the light is bright.

I don’t mind pylons / power lines etc. in photos (in fact I sometimes deliberately photograph them). They’re no more artificial than stone walls, fields, or cultivated hedgerows when it comes to man’s impact on the landscape in my opinion.

Last edited:
There are numerous religious "artifacts" all over the place here, some very much hidden away or in the most unlikely of places.

I'm presuming that this is "Mary" but I have to wonder what on earth she did that was so wrong as to see her put behind bars!! :LOL:

Mary behind bars Moulinet TP.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gradually re-scanning all my holiday photos from last year. The original scans have awful colours, even after varios methods of trying to get them to look correct. I'm not 100% that Silverfast is getting them correct either, but the new scans are vastly improved over the originals.

Olympus OM-1
Zuiko 135mm f/2.8
Kodak Ektar

FILM - Positano-2 by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
how do we know it's a red door

Someone asked me for a title and the reason I took it was because it was a bright red door. When you're using B&W I guess all you've got left is the words :)

Someone asked me for a title and the reason I took it was because it was a bright red door. When you're using B&W I guess all you've got left is the words :)

As an experiment you could photoshop the door red, as sometimes you see something in colour on a B\W shot or video and often wondered how they did it.

Another Darkroom Print found in my Files and never shown. Now I have NO film scanner working I have to scan prints ! Taken on Pentax ME Super + Vivitar 17mm f3.5 lens -- I THINK the film was FP4+
Beach at Birling Gap East Sussex looking towards the 'Seven Sisters ' white cliffs
Birling Gap beach.jpg

Just to add that on the main road between Stanley and Wakefield center is (was) a pyschiatric hospital ( Fieldhead i think it's called)
It's the modern version of its ancient predessesor located pretty much alongside the new building…..If it's abandonned and accessable then it may offer some interesting photo opoortunities.
This is assuming that the buildingstill stands.
I can't for the life of me recall the original hospital name.
EDIT: Stanley Royd Hospital: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Royd_Hospital

I was part of a school group that climbed in over the walls back in the 1960s :jawdrop:. It was still a psychiatric hospital in those days. I must have some photos from the occasion.

A couple more from the XA2

Sospel village as seen from just above the railway station

Sospel de Route de Castillon TP.jpg

and further afield out in the country near Col St Jean is this vehicle, initially abandonned, then burnt out and now it seems a depot for peoples unwanted belongings even though there is a public refuse point not far away which accepts and will collect unwanted objects from peoples homes completely free of charge…..Makes it difficult for me to understand the mentality of some folk tbh.

Abandonned vehicle Col St Jean TP.jpg

Last edited:
Yashica Mat 124 G
Shanghai GP3

FILM - The end of the road
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr
I took a look at your blog earlier Nige, quite interesting.
So much so that it's possibly given me an idea to share some of my work although I wouldn't have a clue where or how to begin tbh.
Almost every time I'm out with a camera, particularly with LF, I get locals insisting that I exhibit my work but it really isn't my thing tbh.
That said, one young lady suggested that I did it in such a way where the photographer of the images was not disclosed so any feedback wouldn't be biased.
I still don't know for sure wether I'm 100% happy with the idea but there is a part of me that could be tempted.
I suspect that it would be bi lingual as if I was to write it up in French most of you lot wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about lol, there again that could prove to be a good thing!:LOL:

EDIT Just a point about cows, seeing as you mentioned your concerns in your blog.
Yes dogs can cause them to become hostile which is no surprise tbh, however I have had experiences where they can become very defensive when accompagnied by their calves ( totally natural of course) but they can become surprisingly aggresive I say surprisingly as typically they are calm, laid back creatures and to see them "turn" can be quite a shock.

Last edited:
I took a look at your blog earlier Nige, quite interesting.
So much so that it's possibly given me an idea to share some of my work although I wouldn't have a clue where or how to begin tbh.
Almost every time I'm out with a camera, particularly with LF, I get locals insisting that I exhibit my work but it really isn't my thing tbh.
That said, one young lady suggested that I did it in such a way where the photographer of the images was not disclosed so any feedback wouldn't be biased.
I still don't know for sure wether I'm 100% happy with the idea but there is a part of me that could be tempted.
I suspect that it would be bi lingual as if I was to write it up in French most of you lot wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about lol, there again that could prove to be a good thing!:LOL:

EDIT Just a point about cows, seeing as you mentioned your concerns in your blog.
Yes dogs can cause them to become hostile which is no surprise tbh, however I have had experiences where they can become very defensive when accompagnied by their calves ( totally natural of course) but they can become surprisingly aggresive I say surprisingly as typically they are calm, laid back creatures and to see them "turn" can be quite a shock.

Thanks Asha.

I started off writing quite lengthy posts on my blog, accompanied by lots of photos, but I became burnt out after a few months and the frequency of my posts fell from two or three a week to one or two a month.

I didn’t want to stop the blog so I decided to produce much shorter posts (sometimes only a sentence or two), but publish them more frequently, and I got into the habit of posting on a day (until I had some job worries that reduced my interest in keeping it going for a while - although I still published the odd post to keep it alive). Now that things are settled again, I’ve started posting daily again.

I take enough photos to allow something different each day, but I’ll dip into the archive (such as it is) if I’m stuck for something.

I quite like having the blog, and it’s free and straightforward to set one up on Wordpress. Give it a go. There’s nothing to lose other than a bit of your time. :)

DIT Just a point about cows, seeing as you mentioned your concerns in your blog.

Cows blocking the footpath with calves. :eek:...well I had to think of my grandson's safety and didn't want a nutty cow head butting him. Anyway decided to walk near the river edge and use the bike as a shield, but they were docile enough but you never know.

VUshcYn.jpg

Just AAMOI to motorcycle guys (erm and car owners)...I thought the previous owners would have looked after my bike with regular service...but I don't reckon this air filter has been changed in 20 years :eek: the sparking plugs needed renewing as well...bike goes like a rocket now (y)
NvVZhjn.jpg

Mmm take a good look at her eyes Nige, she's defo got you "noted" on her "hit list":runaway::runaway:How fast can you run?!!:LOL:

Well if they are like a fat Hippopotamus, usually a cow or hippo can outrun a human over a short distance :eek: so beware.

@FujiLove you've really nailed composition in pano format!

Thank Chris. The Xpan has quickly turned into my favourite camera. I find the format very inspiring because the majority of scenes don’t fit into the panoramic frame, so I find myself forced to actively look for the ones which do. I think I work best when I’m in ‘search mode’ :)

Back